Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sea to Summit mattress - safe to keep up top despite slow reinflating?

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Sorry - another S2S post! I’ve read through others that make reference to the mattress reinflating when left upstairs despite both valves being closed. We got ours this year and are v happy - and really do want to leave it up there if reasonably practicable. We last used the mattress on 17 September, following which we deflated it, using one of those little usb pumps. I’ve had a look at it today and it has partially re inflated.
I just wondered whether it’s ok to leave it in its partially reflated state, or should I be re- deflating say every month?

What do others do?

Thanks!

Once fully deflated and the roof is closed, I wouldn't have thought that any reinflation would cause an issue as it would only take up the available space. -not enough pressure to cause a problem with the roof.

However, if you then opened the roof, say to air out the inside and then forgot to fully deflate the mattress again before closing the roof, then I can imagine a problem, as it will have re-inflated further.

We leave ours partially inflated in the roof, but with the normal VW mattress removed. If you are worried about it inflating, have you tried turning the valves back round to the inflate position and putting the caps on whilst it is deflated. I would have thought that would stop any air getting in.

Mine still expands a little bit - I imagine the temperature can affect expansion and contraction of foam inside. I personally wouldn’t do it if the poptop mattress is still in position. We sleep downstairs on S2S which is great but I’m surprised so many people are using it for the roof - is the vw top mattress not comfy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is the vw top mattress not comfy?
Its a touch on the firm side if you're 15 stone, and is certainly improved with an S2S. I havent tried it with S2S only yet.
I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket upgrade for the top mattress that is designed to be left up there and doesn't need inflating. Zonesleep just won't reply to state clearly that theirs can be...

Thanks all for your replies. We only have the S2S mattress upstairs. It’s marvellously comfy on its own. We did make sure that the valves were properly closed down when we last used the mattress in September. I’ll make sure to deflate when we open the roof, but it looks as though we could in the meantime leave it in its partially reinflated state.

Happy slumbers!

Back