Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seaside on west coast of Scotland near Arisaig/Mallaig

highroad

highroad

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I rented an Ocean a couple of weeks back for a short trip and by luck discovered Invercaimbe campsite, an hour west of Fort William and near some of the most amazing beaches I've seen in Scotland. £15 a night or £17 with hookup. Facilities a bit rustic but the setting was hard to beat and in that sort of place you shouldn't want or need more than the basics. The pictures say it all (if booking ask for site 11 or 12, but be warned they are popular!).

IMG_8346.JPG IMG_8482.JPG IMG_8491.JPG

IMG_8459.JPG IMG_8453.JPG IMG_8353.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, something weird happened with the text...the last line got cut off and then put below the third photo. I don't seem able to edit the post.

Sorry, something weird happened with the text...the last line got cut off and then put below the third photo. I don't seem able to edit the post.
Those looks amazing! I am really tempted to head up there!

I believe there is a time limit on editing posts, I have amended it for you, let me know if there are any problems. :)

I've just returned from a week up in bonny Scotland visiting Arisaig staying three nights at Camusdarach camp site.

IMG_9081.JPG

Wow! Such a wonderful site. I can't recommend it enough. We were pitched in a nice level hard standing that was the width of our van so we had nice soft grass to step out onto in the morning. The toilet block was really clean and tidy with nice hot showers. The owner was so friendly and made great coffee from his little shop. The site was tidy and had a great relaxed atmosphere.

We had a nice T2 next to us and the view across the sea was fantastic. A 5 mins walk and we were on the beach. Well a choice of beaches really. About 7 beaches all within 10 mins walk with white sand and crystal clear waters.

IMG_9172.JPG

We were still paddling in the water with the kids and toasting marshmallows on the fire late into the evening

IMG_9255.JPG

With sunset at 10:30 pm we found ourselves coming back to the van after 11pm! The sunsets were beautiful with the mountains of Skye in the background.

IMG_9335.JPG

A few miles up the road past more beautiful beaches was the port of Malaig where there were local shops and chippy plus the train station to Fort William or the ferry to Skye. The roads were lined with purple azaleas out in flower and the woods covered in bluebells.

Out of our three days at Arisaig we had two of sunshine and clear sky's and one of rain. On the rainy day my wife took our children (4&9) on the steam train to Fort William with me driving back to meet them. But because the train only traveled at 40mph it was easy to drive ahead and find a view point of the railway line so I could get photos of them as they passed.

IMG_9214.JPG

It was a long trek up to Arisaig but certainly worth it. We stopped at Glencoe on the way up in a fantastic site on the loch with panoramic views of the mountains and loch.

On our return we stopped at Ullswater where we pitched up at a NT site on the hillside overlooking the lake. We woke to hundreds of swimmers crossing the lake which was an amazing sight. That evening we walked along a track down to a little bay on the lake as the sun set across Ullswater. The kids loved it.

IMG_9509.JPG

We also did a short weekend stop on Anglesey island before driving up to Scotland so all in all we added 1109 miles onto the van. But as always the Cali performed perfectly. Eating up the miles with minimal effort.

IMG_9016.JPG

For this trip I added a top box to the roof and stored all the bedding in there during travel. This left the boot free for clothes and other camping gear. It made it much easier to unpack and set up the van so for long trips this will become the norm. Of course I had to take a small ladder to reach the top box so it did look a bit like a builders van with the ladder strapped to the roof bars but he added advantage was the ability to get some nice high photos from up on the roof!

IMG_9001.JPG

I think this area and the roads around from Fort William to Malaig were the best I've driven on. Stunning views and no traffic. The only tiny downside was the Midges. We had spray and plug ins for the van and to be fair my kids and wife didn't get a bite but me.... well I am obviously a 3 course meal to a midge as I did get a fair few bites. But it would not put me off going again. On the beach with a little sea breeze they left me alone. Now I am waiting to find another week to go back again to the best beaches and water I've seen in the UK.

Happy Days!!

I rented an Ocean a couple of weeks back for a short trip and by luck discovered Invercaimbe campsite, an hour west of Fort William and near some of the most amazing beaches I've seen in Scotland. £15 a night or £17 with hookup. Facilities a bit rustic but the setting was hard to beat and in that sort of place you shouldn't want or need more than the basics. The pictures say it all (if booking ask for site 11 or 12, but be warned they are popular!).]

We were lucky to spend a night there enroute to Skye from Mull and absolutely loved it. Looks like you got a nice evening like we did and views over to Skye, Rum and Eigg. The slides down to the beach were a particular hit!

What a fabulous post, thank you.

Also nice to see Arisaig without horizontal rain :D I often wonder what it looks like, was 60mph winds and torrential rain when I was there.