Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat cover and feet hack for VW camping chairs

Theodora

Theodora

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
A.jpgB.jpgC.JPGD.JPGE.JPGF.JPGG.JPG

We recently bought a California Beach with the two dedicated camping chairs stored in the tailgate. These are great, albeit a bit hard on the back on the top rail. So we were about to buy the Brandrup padded seat covers at £60 each. They certainly look good and no doubt they're a quality product. But then my wife saw these seat covers at Argos for £8 and tried them out - and they work perfectly.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7548046

OK - you if you don't like stripes you can always turn them round to the plain side (or just learn to like them). But not bad when saving over £100!

And - just like the Brandrup ones - you can keep them on the chairs when you fold and store them away. I also made some feet to snap-on to the bottom rail using tubular electrical conduit, to help reduce wear and scratches when placed on stone, gravel, etc. (although I do think the chairs should have come with this protection).

Some people think that because you've bought a Beach you're made of money. Actually, opposite is true: because we've bought one we've got no money left! But best thing we did (while looking for cost-saving hacks!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
The feet aren't perfect because they rotate and slide about too much (because they're rigid). What's really needed is something similar in size, but in a softer/rubbery material (like a soft hose section?). But these will do while I'm working on it!

Good afternoon,

I just had a look at Argos.ie. They could be available for EUR 8.99 each. But are not on stock in an Argos shop near me. I check how long it takes to get them delivered so that we have them for our holiday.

Thank you for sharing this information.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hi Eberhard,

You're welcome! ...and I hope you get them in time - and have a good holiday!

Best wishes

Very nice covers, they seem to be pretty thick, which is very nice and warm to seat in a cold day.

Hi Wandrer,

Yup, thick enough to be comfortable - but thin enough to be able to leave on the chairs when folding away.

I've never seen the Brandrup ones in the flesh - but these can't be that far off in thickness?

Cheers

Thanks for this, I was looking for something cheaper than Brandrup...Brilliant find:thumb

Will post some pictures of the chair protection that I already have for 9 years.
I had some thicker black ones that are held into place by drilling 4 holes. The only drawback is that they are a bit too thick, and sometimes one of the bits get stuck in the bootlid. I then just pick them out and put them back on the seat.

Oh dear! - maybe a California clever-clogs has bought a job lot to re-sell to other owners at a hefty profit? ....now there's an opportunity I missed! : )

...and if you don't like stripes, just turn it around!A.JPGB.JPG

We something similar from ikea (on the recommendation of someone else on here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The argos ones are already sold out in my area...!!
As are Bamboo Green Cali’s which are the closest to matching these bargain seats!

Has anybody found a cheaper alternative to the Cali chairs that fit in the tailgate? We got our California with the chairs missing and would love to have them, but the prices when converting to South African Rand are just unaffordable at R2600 when you can buy a normal camping chair in SA for under R500

Has anyone got part no’s for the Cali chair nuts the nut on top of the bolt has fallen off and cannot find it. ThanksC22645ED-EA19-4178-9916-D4F94E20E791.jpeg

As promised! Some pictures of my feet hack after I discoverd those ugly scratches at the feet :mad:.

I just had to drill some holes, but now the chair won't wear that fast on graveled pitches!
IMG_20190713_181757.jpg

IMG_20190713_181820.jpg

Sometimes one of the black plugs keep sticking in the polystyrene, even after cutting out the space for the plugs. This only happens on the left side chair, not on the right side?

Oh, and after ripping one chair, I had it repaired by a shoemaker in Vendôme. It doesn't really look fancy, but it holds it up to now. It only cost me €4.

IMG_20190713_181744.jpg

Argos have cottoned on to the Cali Market. I've just bought 2 of the seat covers for £10 each. I'm sure they were £9 when last I looked

Back