Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat covers... bonnet bras... that kind of thing

P

Pignik

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello. I'm so fresh to the scene that I haven't even got my new (well 2014) blue Beach yet but I'm still pondering kit. I'll be mostly at sailing events over weekends, so am happy to see what I need as I go along. However, if I'm to keep the seats and exterior in good shape, I'll probably have to start off on the right foot. So, I'd appreciate thoughts on the following:

Seat covers:
You can spend a load on these!
- The van seats have the grey (and one blue) stripes (three-seat bench and two extra captains seats). I like the look and have seen matching covers but are they made anymore?
- I'm seeing baggy covers (cheaper) which don't look so good; and tight ones (expensive)… does it cost much more to actually recover them?

Bonnet protectors etc

I'm leaning towards just keeping well back of traffic and not charging around like a loon (I'm easy on the pedal anyway): will I kick myself?

Boot/bumper protector

The only marks on the van are by the boot where stuffs been dragged out. Are the protection strips much of a muchness? Any I should aim for?

Anything else I should be worrying about?

Thanks in advance!

Seat covers: You can spend a load on these!
- The van seats have the grey (and one blue) stripes (three-seat bench and two extra captains seats). I like the look and have seen matching covers but are they made anymore?
- I'm seeing baggy covers (cheaper) which don't look so good; and tight ones (expensive)… does it cost much more to actually recover them?
The club sell a variety of seat covers and there are plenty out there, depends what you want. As we have dogs we have the inka ones much cheaper and waterproof but pretty ugly. The much nicer ones dont even look like covers to be honest but they cost a pretty penny too.

Bonnet protectors etc
I'm leaning towards just keeping well back of traffic and not charging around like a loon (I'm easy on the pedal anyway): will I kick myself?
My personal view is they can cause as much damage as they prevent, dirt gets underneath, when teh cover moves it can rub that dirt causing scratches etc. Had mine 4 years and no stone chips (touch wood) so far, but I rarely break 70mph occasionally when in europe hit 80ish.
Boot/bumper protector
Anything else I should be worrying about?
The only marks on the van are by the boot where stuffs been dragged out. Are the protection strips much of a muchness? Any I should aim for?
Thanks in advance!
We found our bumper got scratched on the top edge and a protector there can indeed help but I think get one you like the look of is more important. I bought a rubberised style one not fitted yet but looks good.

Thanks for the quick response - this site seems remark together; is the pricing in the shop part fairly competitive and all the products well thought of?

The club sell a variety of seat covers and there are plenty out there, depends what you want. As we have dogs we have the inka ones much cheaper and waterproof but pretty ugly. The much nicer ones dont even look like covers to be honest but they cost a pretty penny too.

My personal view is they can cause as much damage as they prevent, dirt gets underneath, when teh cover moves it can rub that dirt causing scratches etc. Had mine 4 years and no stone chips (touch wood) so far, but I rarely break 70mph occasionally when in europe hit 80ish.

We found our bumper got scratched on the top edge and a protector there can indeed help but I think get one you like the look of is more important. I bought a rubberised style one not fitted yet but looks good.

I agree with Matt all depends on what you want to spend and the look you're after I personally would keep away from bonnet bra.

The people who run the shop are themselves California owners so they have tried many of the products they sell. Plus if you become a VIP member you get a discount on any purchase too and a lot of discounts elsewhere which helps make things a bit cheaper.
As always deals can be found but Ive always found the customer service very good.

Bonnet bras don't cause damage if you take them off regularly and polish the paintwork, Fitted one at the dealer before driving it home took the showroom shine with me as well. Had the full bra on the last two vans now this one no issues at all.
Bumper protectors and bras from Vanstyle good quality and price. They do a nice carbon one.

I have a three month old Caddy cracked windscreen and a dent in the bonnet front edge (no bra) I've concluded its tippers and low loaders coming off sites that drop gravel etc.
your choice but mine does not go out without her bra on ;)

We have plain black seat covers in our beach, inka on the 3 seat rear and vw commercial in the front. You have to ask for the black at vw and be specific as 1 dealer denied black was available another sorted the part number in 5 minutes. Make sure any front ones are airbag compatible.
Personally not a fan of bonnet bras, if I was that concerned about stone chips I'd get a clear vinyl wrap.
Bought a bumper protector within a week of having the van. Useful as always dragging heavy bags or boxes out.
One thing I have found helpful, especially if you have kids, a dash trim. Fills the gap between dash and windscreen.

I've had the near side wing mirror, bonnet and front bumper wrapped in a clear film because I live rural and there are so many hedges to drive into:)

Also got the club GTI seat covers, with an additional home made waterproof cover on the back seat (constantly wet border collie) and VW's black bumper protector.

You don't really need any of these things but they can help to protect what is a very expensive asset.

Bonnet bras don't cause damage if you take them off regularly and polish the paintwork, Fitted one at the dealer before driving it home took the showroom shine with me as well. Had the full bra on the last two vans now this one no issues at all.
Bumper protectors and bras from Vanstyle good quality and price. They do a nice carbon one.

I have a three month old Caddy cracked windscreen and a dent in the bonnet front edge (no bra) I've concluded its tippers and low loaders coming off sites that drop gravel etc.
your choice but mine does not go out without her bra on ;)
That is a good way to look at it, examine your own approach to cleaning and polishing and if you aren't likely to do it regularly its not for you, if you are a regular cleaner of your van, then all good. :)

Bonnet protectors etc
You can also have PPF (Paint protection film) added to the bonnet to protect from stone chips. I have clear 3M ventureshield on ours.
Here is it with the film on!

Bonnet Bra

Over the years the majority of stone chips have come from vehicles passing not me following another one.
A clear vinyl wrap is one solution.

That is a good way to look at it, examine your own approach to cleaning and polishing and if you aren't likely to do it regularly its not for you, if you are a regular cleaner of your van, then all good. :)
That seems very sensible advice. Thanks

You can also have PPF (Paint protection film) added to the bonnet to protect from stone chips. I have clear 3M ventureshield on ours.
Here is it with the film on!
View attachment 44896
What's the cost of that? I guess there's a limit to how much protection it offers but looks better than the covers.

I would completely agree Matt, we are all different creatures our Cali is more than a van to us as others will be to them, people buy for different reasons. Ours is pampered probably too much TBH, its the package we like, VW scene, the ownership, slight mods and I love keeping it as prestige as possible with the limited spare time I have. don't get me wrong I like camping as well. Unlike some others on here I like the look of a well fitted black bra ;) it contrasts against the colour or the van.
Personally I cringe when I see kids and dogs crawling all over vans, but that's their van and what they bought it for, so hay everyone to their own. I'm not promoting the bonnet bra I don't really care if you like them or have them I just wanted to give a balanced view that they don't damage paintwork if used correctly, just like any other component on our pride and joys.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Mine was done as part of the complete new-vehicle prep. Full front end PPF Bumper, headlights bonnet wing mirrors.
I have seen quotes of £700 for a full front end and £300 for just the bonnet.
here is one; https://www.customvanz.com/VW-TRANS...EN-SUNTEK-PAINT-PROTECTION-FILM-PPF-FILM.html

If you want to spend less money then Vanstyle does this one that stands off the paintwork for £50
View attachment 44902

We had a half bra on our first Cali which protected the bottom but not the top, so would be the same as a deflector me thinks. I had a polycarbonate deflector on my Hilux and the bonnet suffered chip damage above it. We have a bra on our current T6 Cali and would not drive without it as mentioned in previous posts. In fact it has slight damage to the vinyl which would have been the paint if not fitted. My Mrs Mini Cooper has black vinyl stripes which I think would be the same as a wrap which are stone chip damaged.
Before I fitted our bra's for the first and subsequent times I always check the fleece internal material, I always polish the bonnet thoroughly then fit tightly.
Its removed ever time I polish the van then refitted. It also looks cool on our Mojave beige van.
This is my personal opinion, I think the key is don't fit and forget, or fit to an unpolished bonnet, remove regularly and refit.
I even take it off weekly when on a three week holiday polish and refit, Overkill but that's me.

Bonnet Bra

Over the years the majority of stone chips have come from vehicles passing not me following another one.
A clear vinyl wrap is one solution.

Do you know I sort of agree with that, then over the last three months the time I have had my everyday Caddy I bought for work use, I have noticed more tippers and low loaders dropping gravel, stones, mud and even rocks onto the road in front of me. Always had white Caddy's no issues, I thought this time I would treat myself to a pure grey one as I cant have a Cali in that colour, I've got a stone chip on the bonnet and a pot mark in the windscreen from Trucks in front. Wrong place wrong time or is it the colour they don't like.

Do you know I sort of agree with that, then over the last three months the time I have had my everyday Caddy I bought for work use, I have noticed more tippers and low loaders dropping gravel, stones, mud and even rocks onto the road in front of me. Always had white Caddy's no issues, I thought this time I would treat myself to a pure grey one as I cant have a Cali in that colour, I've got a stone chip on the bonnet and a pot mark in the windscreen from Trucks in front. Wrong place wrong time or is it the colour they don't like.
Stones were probably dropped from the vehicles that you mentioned and lay in wait to be 'pinged' by a passing vehicle later.

Stones were probably dropped from the vehicles that you mentioned and lay in wait to be 'pinged' by a passing vehicle later.

No, I watched them leave the vehicle in front. M42 and M1 I try and pass the as quickly as possible. I was on the M1 yesterday afternoon when an empty low loader entered from the services, I looked on the bed to see loose stones which I would presume had fallen from the last piece of plant carried. When I used to drive heavy haulage I carried a sweeping brush to clean the trailer before joining the road network, just laziness plus don't give a stuff attitude.
I just hope when such drivers park the truck at the depot and drive home it happens to them, but only if they have a nice set of wheels and not a banger.

I agree with Matt all depends on what you want to spend and the look you're after I personally would keep away from bonnet bra.
Have to disagree. Had quite a few stone chips on the bonnet edge, it seems to be a problem peculiar to our California and I’m a careful driver. Had the bonnet re-sprayed and have now fitted a bonnet bra. It fits very neatly and doesn’t scratch the paint.This is after at least 100K miles of European holidays

Back