Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seat covers??

emma harvey

emma harvey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We want something a bit different but not too expensive!!! Is there such a thing??? Off on the next adventure on the 5th so would also like something by then!!!

.....making memories .....

Looots of existing topics on seat covers .
For me only those who are the copy of the original fabric will do , i got Brandrupp .
Can't see they are covers perfect fit exact same color as original but £££££

I got inka lifestyle ones, highly recommended but pricey.
Typically the cheaper they are, looser the fit, sweatier the material. Inka do waterproof ones slightly cheaper than vw ones, just check about airbags etc

There was a post on here recently with a bit of love for the South Africa made Escape Gear seat covers. I am tempted...

I used three Lidl hammocks - soft stripy fabric with some water /uv resistance - one each to make up front seat and headrest covers ....simple but effective, and one for the rear bench seat. Cost 21 pounds ....

Don't waste your time with inka lifestyle covers. Mine didn't fit and had quality issues and they didn't exactly go out of their way to sort the issues out. Finally got my money back with help from Nick at Comfortz but one things for sure I will never deal with them again.

Like Wim we have Brandrupp covers. Very expensive but very good. When they are fitted you cannot tell them apart from the original seats. And they are lovely and comfortable to sit on.
We have had ours for 4 years now and Mrs DoH has just washed ours and they have come up like new.
When you factor the cost over the time that you are going to keep your vehicle then it puts the cost in perspective!
I don't work for Brandrup by the way!

We want something a bit different but not too expensive!!! Is there such a thing??? Off on the next adventure on the 5th so would also like something by then!!!

.....making memories .....
Initially bought as an impulse puchase on our first day to give some immediate temporary protection from spillages and grandchildren but...... they have turned out to be so simple and do the job so they have stayed on ever since. Home bargains £4 fronts (almost perfect size and fitted without the elastic/hooks) £3 rear bench which is really just a simple cover that we just use on the seat base. Forget the elastic loops & silly hooks, just tuck them inside the plastic seat base trims and over the headrest. Takes about 1-2 minutes to fit and 10 seconds to remove.

Initially bought as an impulse puchase on our first day to give some immediate temporary protection from spillages and grandchildren but...... they have turned out to be so simple and do the job so they have stayed on ever since. Home bargains £4 fronts (almost perfect size and fitted without the elastic/hooks) £3 rear bench which is really just a simple cover that we just use on the seat base. Forget the elastic loops & silly hooks, just tuck them inside the plastic seat base trims and over the headrest. Takes about 1-2 minutes to fit and 10 seconds to remove.
Have the Front Covers provision for the Side Protection Air Bags that deploy from the outer side of the seat back, the ones that protect your head from punching through the cab side windows in a side impact?
If they haven't then they should be removed immediately as they could cause serious injury if the air bags are deployed.:thumb

Appreciate your concern and it was the first thing I checked. These don't actually wrap around that part of the seat back, they have an elasticated edge that follows down from the headrest along the front edge of the seat back and tuck in under the seat base trims in front of the lower seat belt points and although i've not tested them I doubt they would be any obstruction to airbag deployment.

Are all the other seat covers air bag tested?

Appreciate your concern and it was the first thing I checked. These don't actually wrap around that part of the seat back, they have an elasticated edge that follows down from the headrest along the front edge of the seat back and tuck in under the seat base trims in front of the lower seat belt points and although i've not tested them I doubt they would be any obstruction to airbag deployment.

From reputable makers they should be with a panel or stitching that will give way easily in the appropriate place, or don't cover the outside side wall of the seat back as that is where the air bag is.

The Brandrup ones have provision for airbags. They have weakened seams which give way when the airbag goes off.

I wouldn't feel happy covering any of the airbag locations, they already have to break through the factory covers so to my mind an extra layer is not a good idea.

I wouldn't feel happy covering any of the airbag locations, they already have to break through the factory covers so to my mind an extra layer is not a good idea.
The Brandrup ones have airbag flags and are designed for this purpose. The instructions tell you to take care when fitting the covers because you could rip the covers on the weakened seams

Personally I'm unconvinced and the more I think about it the more illogic it becomes to use this type of seat cover.

In the unfortunate event of a side impact (which must rank as one of the most dangerous in terms of injury), in order to benefit from their maximum protection, nothing should impede airbag deployment. Even miliseconds could be the difference between survivability and catastrophic injury or worse.

The large seat cover makers like brandrup and Inka spend thousands of pounds
Passing strict guidelines with their covers they are tested to a very high standard in all situations and will be approved by insurance company's

That may be the way its presented in the marketing media but are they actually crash tested in situ and have type approval? I certainly wouldn't want to diminish the excellent safety technology that VW and others have spent billions on with untested aftermarket add ons.

Yes but VW would not spend all that money on testing and then let some Micky mouse firm make their seat covers. Inka and brandrup are multi million pound company's I wouldn't trust anyone else

Brandrup is a welknown company and bigseller in Germany where they need TUV approval ,
and VW suplier , so no need to t worry imo. But feel free to use other things like i see in big white mobilehomes ....bathroomtowels in all kinds of colors......juk
Or cheap stuff made in China

The Escape gear covers we are waiting for have sides that tuck into the back to allow the side airbags to deploy.