Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seatbelt latchs - corroded and snapped

ElsieH

ElsieH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a parts diagram for the rear seat belt latches and where they attach to the vehicle.

I was putting the bed down in my 2014 SE and when reaching for the strap to lower the backrest, stabbed my hand on something sharp. When I pulled it out, the door side seat belt latch came away in my hand. When shining a torch down, the kitchen side latch is retained by some rusted wires which are about to give way entirely. The latches appear to attach to the van by braided metal cables which have rusted through and I now have no working rear seat belts. The wires then connect into a silver metal part which also appears to be corroded.

I've booked the van in to the dealers but want to make sure that they order the correct parts as although they are a van centre, they don't sell these vehicles. To be honest, I'm absolutely gutted that something as critical as seatbelt restraints have completed corroded through after only 7 years and in an area where I can't see any water ingress. I'd seriously urge you all to check the mountings as the only indication I have is a small area of rust on the bottom of the seat cushion which isn't obvious unless you go looking.

Any ideas what could have caused this ?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a parts diagram for the rear seat belt latches and where they attach to the vehicle.

I was putting the bed down in my 2014 SE and when reaching for the strap to lower the backrest, stabbed my hand on something sharp. When I pulled it out, the door side seat belt latch came away in my hand. When shining a torch down, the kitchen side latch is retained by some rusted wires which are about to give way entirely. The latches appear to attach to the van by braided metal cables which have rusted through and I now have no working rear seat belts. The wires then connect into a silver metal part which also appears to be corroded.

I've booked the van in to the dealers but want to make sure that they order the correct parts as although they are a van centre, they don't sell these vehicles. To be honest, I'm absolutely gutted that something as critical as seatbelt restraints have completed corroded through after only 7 years and in an area where I can't see any water ingress. I'd seriously urge you all to check the mountings as the only indication I have is a small area of rust on the bottom of the seat cushion which isn't obvious unless you go looking.

Any ideas what could have caused this ?
Mine are pristine. If they are corroded then it must be due to some water ingress from somewhere .

See Part 10.

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 12.07.36.jpg

Thanks for the quick response.

It's attached to part 10 but it's the cable that's snapped that connects to the receiver - I suppose that bit would be under or behind the seat. I can't see how the cables have been wet enough for long enough to corrode through - the seat cushions are dry, the headliner is dry and the floor is dry. Items in the boot are all dry and no liquid is stored there. I rarely have any water in the tanks and can't see how this would get anywhere near the cables - they are corroded the entire length of the cable.

Thanks for the quick response.

It's attached to part 10 but it's the cable that's snapped that connects to the receiver - I suppose that bit would be under or behind the seat. I can't see how the cables have been wet enough for long enough to corrode through - the seat cushions are dry, the headliner is dry and the floor is dry. Items in the boot are all dry and no liquid is stored there. I rarely have any water in the tanks and can't see how this would get anywhere near the cables - they are corroded the entire length of the cable.
The receiver and cable are one unit attached to the seat frame/base.

The receiver and cable are one unit attached to the seat frame/base.
Thanks, sorry I was aware of that - what I am struggling with is to see where there could have been any contact with water/liquid. Am I correct in thinking that they attach to the back of the seat unit so aren't attached to the vehicle itself (other than by being part of the seat itself) ?

Sorry to ask more questions but I'm reluctant to simply replace without knowing the source of damage given that it involves seatbelts.

Hi,

To be honest, I'm absolutely gutted that something as critical as seatbelt restraints have completed corroded through after only 7 years and in an area where I can't see any water ingress.

Thats extremely worrying. Any chance of a photo? I would be asking VW to replace at their expense and certainly raising it with customer services as a safety issue.
If they have rusted through in 7 years, you wonder how long they've been dangerously weakened.
Other than checking that the latches work, these would not be examined in a MoT as its all hidden.

Thanks, sorry I was aware of that - what I am struggling with is to see where there could have been any contact with water/liquid. Am I correct in thinking that they attach to the back of the seat unit so aren't attached to the vehicle itself (other than by being part of the seat itself) ?

Sorry to ask more questions but I'm reluctant to simply replace without knowing the source of damage given that it involves seatbelts.
Yes, attached to the seat. Have you owned the vehicle since new?

Yes, owned since new and only ever driven/used by me. Just baffled by the extent of the corrosion - they've obviously been a danger for some time.

No MOT issues but I think they just buckle them up - obviously it won't pass it's November MOT in it's current state given that there is nothing left to connect the belt into !

I'll attach photos tonight

Had to go check mine! All lovely and shiny.
Hard to believe the cable would rot that much unless it was from a duff drum of cable. Also it’s not in a place where water is likely to collect.

I’ve attached some photos - sorry about the quality. The van is used every couple of days and the back seat has never been wet other than the occasional wet paw print.

Seat has always had waterproof covers but the opening for the seatbelt has always been accessible and never covered up.

Any theories ?

Looking at those pictures - very worrying failure does look like prolonged water exposure - I will be looking at mine in daylight. Such a failure on a 2014 van even more worrying.

Just been out and checked mine too. All shiny and as new.
The corrosion is as you’d expect to find under any vehicle running through the shite they spread on the roads in winter.
Now my theory is at some point salt or somesuch has come into contact with fittings. A wet dog after a swim in the sea? CocaCola spillage? Something spilt in the under seat drawer?
Very worrying but looks like an easy fix if you can get the correct parts.

The under bench draw is immediately below that. What condition is that in?

Even water shouldn't cause that level of corrosion, the wire has a zinc coating on it from new to stop it rusting.It doesn't look like its a case of the cables being faulty from new as the nut & bolt that hold them are also corroded on yours, In your picture the coating has been stripped off all the wire.

The only thing thats springs to mind is dog urine. Coca Cola is good for dissolving rust, less so for dissolving the steel.

The pic below shows what mine look like - its over a year since the van was built. IMG_3614.jpeg

2016 van. Checked all bright and shiny no evidence of any change from new. I would have a discussion with your dealer.

The under seat drawer is immaculate as is the rest of the seat frame that’s visible.

Although I’m annoyed at my bad luck and confused by the cause of it, I’m glad that it’s not an issue as such with these vans in general.

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to give advice, suggestions and for checking their own vehicles to compare.