second car

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
anyone have trouble insuring a second car ? my problem is the insures won't accept my no claims discount to run another policy alongside my comfort policy even though obviously I've not had a claim.. so the price doubles. i'm moving house and wanting a car for the longer commute. how can we get around this ? does comfort cover me to drive a 2nd car in my name ? multi vehicle policy ? how do others do it ?

If you have your NCB attached to the Cali, that’s causing the problem. Comfort et al will apply discounts and not require you to use your NCB on the Cali policy. You can then use it on your car.

I have three of my vehicles insured through Aviva. My Cali is via CCC

When I added the Disco to my Aviva policy back into 2016 they matched the NCB (from the other vehicle on the policy) onto this vehicle even though I didn't have any NCB for this vehicle. (Each policy earns its own NCB).

thanks. well what I've just done is removed my NCB from my comfort policy. £20 admin fee then price went up £16. so £36 extra. they sending a letter to say I can use it now as proof of NCB.
Now then I add this into my car insurance search and the price is £300 cheaper !!! Boom. thanks. this forum just saved me a wedge.

I've never understood why each insurance policy should accrue its own NCD. The vehicle isn't the risk, instead its the driver.

A couple of years ago we ran three vehicles each with the full 9 years NCD. We now run two and the third policy was cancelled. If I wanted a third vehicle again I'd have to start all over again with zero NCD. In the mean time I've had no accidents or convictions.

I've never understood why each insurance policy should accrue its own NCD. The vehicle isn't the risk, instead its the driver.

A couple of years ago we ran three vehicles each with the full 9 years NCD. We now run two and the third policy was cancelled. If I wanted a third vehicle again I'd have to start all over again with zero NCD. In the mean time I've had no accidents or convictions.
exactly mate. this is my gripe. this is why I just did what I did.
this will make you laugh. when I rang comfort about this she said she would give me a quote (bmw 123d sport worth 4.5k). went through all the shite and the quote was £3200 !!! what !!!
anyway finally after many internet searches just got hastings at £283. insurance companies are a mystery aren#t they ?

exactly mate. this is my gripe. this is why I just did what I did.
this will make you laugh. when I rang comfort about this she said she would give me a quote (bmw 123d sport worth 4.5k). went through all the shite and the quote was £3200 !!! what !!!
anyway finally after many internet searches just got hastings at £283. insurance companies are a mystery aren#t they ?
There's no logic to it.

what happens then, according to these companies...if you have a smash and claim on 1 policy. do you have to ring the other policy up and tell them and then does your no claims change as you've had a claim in the last 5 years even though the claim wasn't anything to do with them. so you can run 2 insurance policies accruing 2 separate no claims bonuses. you have a smash and a claim on 1 policy but the other policy then states you've had a claim so it affects that too ??? 'skin rollers' the lot of them

It's weird how insurance works. What I didn't know until very recently was that your credit score/rating has a very significant impact on premium. Fortunately I have quite a good rating and my Skoda Citigo on zero years NCB is £424 to insure fully comprehensive for an inner London address. The California is a similar cost, but with some NCB.

I know it’s all very random, but try the AA for cars. They’ve recently introduced their own underwriting and appear keen to build their book. My renewal came through for the Forester with LV at 310, AA was 185!

For car insurance, its worth following the order mentioned on the below:

I paid £495 for two vehicles and then added the New CH-R (top spec model) for an additional £185 (10 months). The Cali cost me £370

what happens then, according to these companies...if you have a smash and claim on 1 policy. do you have to ring the other policy up and tell them and then does your no claims change as you've had a claim in the last 5 years even though the claim wasn't anything to do with them. so you can run 2 insurance policies accruing 2 separate no claims bonuses. you have a smash and a claim on 1 policy but the other policy then states you've had a claim so it affects that too ??? 'skin rollers' the lot of them
Can get worse
My wife's car had a hit and run carpark damage but luckily someone saw it and left details with the Customer Desk at the Supermarket. Police tracked the vehicle and got Insurance details.
Later she got side swiped by a LHD lorry on the A1 Dual carriageway, Police again got details.
Protected NCB and not her fault so no loss of NCB.

When I came to renew my car insurance and declared her accidents my premium went up as she's on my Policy. Told that her accidents meant that by default she was a bigger risk! Even although she wasn't the responsible for causing the accidents.
Outcome was that both of our Policies got put up on renewal and stayed up for years, still had full NCB but dearer premiums.
Used to ask for last 3 years accident history now gone up to 5 years.

Can get worse
My wife's car had a hit and run carpark damage but luckily someone saw it and left details with the Customer Desk at the Supermarket. Police tracked the vehicle and got Insurance details.
Later she got side swiped by a LHD lorry on the A1 Dual carriageway, Police again got details.
Protected NCB and not her fault so no loss of NCB.

When I came to renew my car insurance and declared her accidents my premium went up as she's on my Policy. Told that her accidents meant that by default she was a bigger risk! Even although she wasn't the responsible for causing the accidents.
Outcome was that both of our Policies got put up on renewal and stayed up for years, still had full NCB but dearer premiums.
Used to ask for last 3 years accident history now gone up to 5 years.
Yep, we had the same. I was parked in my wifes car in a recognised parking bay when a drunk got into the car behind and reversed into her car. It didn't effect the NCD but the premium shot up when I went to renew. They said that clearly we were a greater risk. I dropped that insurance company like a hot coal.

necessary evil and it goes all their way every time

They will mirror your maximum discount onto your car policy if you ask them too ?
Or at least mine do..

The Cali is with Just Kampers and they have just emailed me saying they now do multi car policies. Haven’t checked the price yet though.