Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second trip what we I'm learning

Julie and Archie

Julie and Archie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Its our second trip. In Yorkshire experiencing the delights of Malton food market (obviously why fridge is quite large), Scarborough and York Christmas market tomorrow. I love it. Why do people have cars? Why did I not know this sooner?

I think, howeve, I may be inefficient with my camping paraphernalia - bedtime is tricky negotiating the king size duvet, king size fur throw, under duvet, cushions, pillows. Also tv, kettle, little oven makes everything a bit crowded as need to keep access to wine in fridge. Pitch next to me has a big hymer. I may be carrying more stuff.

And I'm solo with a little cairn terrier. How do families of 4 with two labradors do it?

On the plus side, I made neoprene covers for my 1970s crockery (couldn't face plastic and I have to consider my interior decorating theme). Very effective. No noise and everything protected.

Considering douvalays - worth the expense? Should I get two season version?

Hi Julie and Archie, we camp with two people and two Labradors (!) We've had our Cali for 18 months and have gradually got rid of quite a lot of stuff, so that we dont feel too cluttered. We always take a lot of walking stuff so don't have room for many extras. Some of these ideas may work for you ...or not. We use sleeping bags and one pillow each, no extra covers. Definitely no cushions, throws or other decorations! We use a tablet not a television. We don't carry an oven, toaster etc, just one pan and a remoska ( Lakeland). We use an electric kettle so we can keep the worktop lid down most of the time. We keep all the dog stuff in the cupboard in the boot. One of the things we find most useful is a plastic box between the front seats to put bits and pieces in so they don't scatter all over the worktop. Hope this helps, and enjoy York tomorrow.

Thanks. I need to look at the remoska. They good a lot of recommendations. I think I'm adjusting to down sizing. And Archie takes up a lot of space!

Hi Julie
Duvalays I'm not convinced about. I had a single one and it really was very small and not very comfortable but I know that others swear by them. I prefer a foam topper cut to shape and put into a duvalay shaped sheet with a double duvet and two pillows. Folds back onto the parcel shelf during the day.
Also agree with @RedCali re the TV. Watch it on my iPad which I hang from my California Camping drivers side back seat pockets.
One of my favourite purchases has been my foldable electric kettle by Kampa. Always makes me smile!
Front box between seats really useful. .. 9L capacity. It keeps small torch, phone charger etc.
Have fun!

And I'm solo with a little cairn terrier. How do families of 4 with two labradors do it?
We are planning a full year with two adults, two pre-school boys and two border collies. The only viable option for us is the Beach and driveaway awning to use as a kitchen and living space. We will also spend periods in dog friendly self-catering holiday homes.

Thanks. Been looking at ikea. The width of duvelays looks very small. Loving my Cali. Tried a great pub in York - Whippet Inn, North street. Great food and they loved Archie. Next trip is france on Christmas Eve. Just for holidays. I dream of a trip like the Crispin's though

We are 2 adults and 3 children also on a beach, and while it's cosy, it helps you reduce to the essential gear. In our case that includes 3 tablets, a cartridge cooker, a bbq, a fridge, a porta potti, a foldable table with 4 seats built-in, an Ikea Alex for storage and regular sleeping bags. No driveaway awning, no external topper, nothing that takes too much space.
For our iceland trip we'll have two large crates of food because everything's so expensive there.
We might have to use a roofbox then.

king size fur throw

First time I've seen one of those on a Cali kit list, although it does sound appealing for winter jaunts...

Would you like to sin
With Elinor Glyn
Upon a tiger skin?
Or would you prefer
With her
To err
On some other fur?

Sorry, obviously started a bit early on the brandy-filled mince pies.
:oops:

Thanks. I need to look at the remoska. They good a lot of recommendations. I think I'm adjusting to down sizing. And Archie takes up a lot of space!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Had one. One caress moment with the lid which is ten times hotter than the sun and it welded itself to our kitchen work surface ÂŁ1000 than you very glad. Get a small microwave. If you absolutely feel you must put yourself through suffering by catering on the grand scale push red hot needles in your eyes... The pain will be less than hearing this neanderthal cooker chewing its way through the bottom of your California one night when you have forgotten to unplug it.

That's worrying. Will stick with little oven

You are a wise and sagacious woman. Seriously though, I know some people love cooking and I am one of them but having had the California for eight months I can tell you that cooking in the Winter is a non starter. We bought a 50 squid microwave from Amazon. I cook lovely things like Duck in port wine at home and freeze them in recyclable microwave containers use plastic cutlery and paper plates (Costco) Lovely meal, more time to imbibe and best of all no washing up. Merry Christmas and God Bless us every one.

Thanks. Been looking at ikea. The width of duvelays looks very small. Loving my Cali. Tried a great pub in York - Whippet Inn, North street. Great food and they loved Archie. Next trip is france on Christmas Eve. Just for holidays. I dream of a trip like the Crispin's though

A Good quality sleeping bag cuts the mustard. We had lovely duvet and bottom sheet in cotton in the old motorhome and with plenty of room it was great but when you are trying to manipulate it in a Californai it just did not work. Bought a Coleman sleeping bag from Amazon and after eight months I can tell you it is excellent. Washes well (Splits in two). Another thing I learned from joining the club.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LN5TA2/?tag=eliteelect-21

We use sleeping bags, good ones. Tried duvets when we first camped, it worked for a while but the space they take IMO outweighs there comfort. With a sleeping bag you can regulate your own temperature without disturbing your partner and you're never guilty of pulling the covers off.

All are kits fits in the wardrobe. Try and get one duvet in there!

... message ends...

Its our second trip. In Yorkshire experiencing the delights of Malton food market (obviously why fridge is quite large), Scarborough and York Christmas market tomorrow. I love it. Why do people have cars? Why did I not know this sooner?

I think, howeve, I may be inefficient with my camping paraphernalia - bedtime is tricky negotiating the king size duvet, king size fur throw, under duvet, cushions, pillows. Also tv, kettle, little oven makes everything a bit crowded as need to keep access to wine in fridge. Pitch next to me has a big hymer. I may be carrying more stuff.

On the plus side, I made neoprene covers for my 1970s crockery (couldn't face plastic and I have to consider my interior decorating theme). Very effective. No noise and everything protected.

Considering douvalays - worth the expense? Should I get two season version?
We travel with 6 dogs, so the shelf in the back is taken up by dog box. We travel in the late spring months and last two summer months, so one light duvet is all we need and we can keep this in the top with roof closed, but I am talking 1 tog with duvet cover. Pillows are vacuumed sucked and stored on bench seat. Everything else is stored underneath dog box. I find that during the months we travel, mostly being warm, when the awning is rolled out and surround curtains are hung, a new room is created. So the items stored on the floor during travel, then go into the new room giving me access to kitchen.

We are 2 adults and 3 children also on a beach, and while it's cosy, it helps you reduce to the essential gear. In our case that includes 3 tablets, a cartridge cooker, a bbq, a fridge, a porta potti, a foldable table with 4 seats built-in, an Ikea Alex for storage and regular sleeping bags. No driveaway awning, no external topper, nothing that takes too much space.
For our iceland trip we'll have two large crates of food because everything's so expensive there.
We might have to use a roofbox then.

Reassure me I'm not crazy.....!!! We are 2 adults, boys 13, 10, 7 and a baby! I'm not planning any crazy marathon holidays, the beach will be our everyday car and then used at the weekend for quick get up and go adventures.

Reassure me I'm not crazy.....!!! We are 2 adults, boys 13, 10, 7 and a baby! I'm not planning any crazy marathon holidays, the beach will be our everyday car and then used at the weekend for quick get up and go adventures.
No you're not crazy :)
I guess you can sleep 6 in a beach, but that'd be the max.
3 downstairs, 2 upstairs, 1 across the front seats with inflatable matress or cab bunk
3 downstairs, 3 upstairs (adults+baby?)
It's doable - will be very cosy though :)
Biggest issue I see is that with all 7 seats in there's little space to put stuff at night.

No you're not crazy :)
I guess you can sleep 6 in a beach, but that'd be the max.
3 downstairs, 2 upstairs, 1 across the front seats with inflatable matress or cab bunk
3 downstairs, 3 upstairs (adults+baby?)
It's doable - will be very cosy though :)
Biggest issue I see is that with all 7 seats in there's little space to put stuff at night.

Thank you! Boys are excited about all sleeping up too and I guess when that gets boring, my teenager will enjoy having a pop up tent or a bedroom in a pop shelter (I'm looking st the Quenchua pop up bases). When we go away we will just put 4 seats in the back (much to the boys disgust) Am I right in thinking the bed does work with the second row seats in you obviously lose the floor space?

@zeratul baby is due in April, so for now we're probably the same as you with your three children - therefore, how do you find it? Is it good fun still or is just over cramped? Do you regret it? Do you have a drive away awning or any other type of additional shelter?

Am I right in thinking the bed does work with the second row seats in you obviously lose the floor space?
Yes you are right. In fact there are a couple of ways you can make the california beach 3 seater bed.
The multiflex board consists of 2 parts, and one part of it can be "bent down", it's about 20cm. If you do this, the flat rear bench can obviously be moved backward a little more.
The standard way to make the bed with all 7 seats in (or 6) is to bent that part down, and fold the middle seats flat. Then you put a little mattress topper (Ikea or something more expensive) on it. There's just a space in between the seats where you can store stuff (and you better, because nothing supports the mattress there). This is what is called the "long bed"
Then there is the possibility of leaving the multiflex part up. You turn the middle seats around and leave the backrest straight up. That way it's possible to make the normal bed (which you'd have in a 5 seater beach). But I haven't tried it. There are some topics on this forum.
To move the 3 seater bench, you first have to collapse the backrest completely flat. That can get a little annoying when you're trying to find the right spot. There's a simple "hack" possible, to connect a little wire that you can pull to a spring under the bench, to allow it to move without folding down the bench.
@zeratul baby is due in April, so for now we're probably the same as you with your three children - therefore, how do you find it? Is it good fun still or is just over cramped? Do you regret it? Do you have a drive away awning or any other type of additional shelter?
No we don't regret it at all, one of the best decisions in life.
Our first night was a little disaster however :) The three children were so over excited that they couldn't sleep. They were full of adrenaline, and in the end we ended up driving home from the campsite. They normally sleep from 8pm and it was 11pm when we gave up :)
They have to get used to. Depends on the child/baby of course, everyone is different. The second try went a lot better and now they all sleep so well in it! They keep asking for more trips, more nights, being together as a family. It's a great vehicle for families.. not as clunky as motorhome, very versatile.
At one point when our children get older we may have to get a popup tent I guess. But not having to deal with wet canvas has advantages.

We don't have a drive away awning. Afraid it would take way too much space. I guess you could, if you use a quality inflatable mattress for the downstairs bed instead of a real mattress (because it takes so much space). We've never tried that though. We have the regular California awning, and find this very practical. We use it to eat outside when it rains.
This type of table is very convenient:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Outdoor...mping-Picnic-Table-With-4-Seats-/321311471285
You can pair it with the standard Cal table and chairs and you'll have 6 places to sit and eat.
Just don't buy too many items all at once .. they all take space and you want to travel light.

There's also the children seats that have to be stored somewhere when sleeping (Unless you have the seats with integrated seats). We store them below the steering wheel or between dashboard and the front passenger seats. If you're 6 you can still sit around the california table in the cali. turned front seats, 1 90 degree turned middle seat near the door, and 3 on the rear bench. Then fold down the seventh seat, and click in the table. It works :)

And best tip perhaps.. read a lot on this forum.

we use a double sleeping bag and cotton liner which can be washed regularly so as not to have to wash bag too often. Toasty as anything. Also a cushion doubles as pillow to save space.