Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Security!

Cali_dawson

Cali_dawson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

We picked up our brand new California Ocean 2 weeks ago and are set to go on our first night away this weekend.

Having read through loads of threads on this forum, I think we have picked up on all the tips and tricks that everybody has suggested. However one point that i haven't seen come up is to do with security of the Cali.
I know the cali has the standard alarm, immobiliser etc. However once you are set up in the campsite and the roof is up, does anybody put any extra security measures in to keep their pride and joy safe?
I suppose i am a little concerned leaving the camper with the pop top up and the vehicle just locked. After all its only a piece of canvas keeping people out!
Would be interested to hear what other people do when leaving their cali on the campsite and going out for the day.
Cali.jpg

Press the lock button a second time so that any flies that might have entered the van don't set the alarm off and head off for a happy day.

We've been on several long trips through places some people might be paranoid about - Romania (lovely country and wonderful people), Serbia, southern Italy (likewise) etc. Park in recognised camp sites. If you are not in a campsite shut the roof - you never know who might be around.

Basically don't worry - just enjoy!

And if someone steals your pride and joy, it's just one of those things that are massively annoying but they get sorted.

PS Don't leave your handbag on the dashboard ever!! :-D

Hi all,

We picked up our brand new California Ocean 2 weeks ago and are set to go on our first night away this weekend.

Having read through loads of threads on this forum, I think we have picked up on all the tips and tricks that everybody has suggested. However one point that i haven't seen come up is to do with security of the Cali.
I know the cali has the standard alarm, immobiliser etc. However once you are set up in the campsite and the roof is up, does anybody put any extra security measures in to keep their pride and joy safe?
I suppose i am a little concerned leaving the camper with the pop top up and the vehicle just locked. After all its only a piece of canvas keeping people out!
Would be interested to hear what other people do when leaving their cali on the campsite and going out for the day.
View attachment 51701
Any of the tempered windows can be shattered with great ease. You could leave the bed down/shutter closed to make it more difficult to access the good stuff and hope they left their stepladder at home.

Thieves are lazy by nature otherwise they would earn instead of stealing other peoples stuff, so I think they would smash and grab rather than clambering up to cut the canvas to lower themselves down again.

Have you polished the roof yet? well if you have then you will see how difficult it will be to climb up there.

As others have said don't leave valuables on display shut the blinds lock it and enjoy your day out.

If you leave the roof up when you go out and put the alarm on I would advise that you pull the sliding door to the roof shut. Having not done this I found that the air blowing in the two small vents at the top of the bellows was enough to set off the alarm which had being going off all the time I was away.
Since I started shutting the sliding door, it hasn't happened again.

Google Ghost Imobiliser they are very popular
Plus two for ghost immobiliser @Loz made me aware of them - even if someone gets your keys the van can’t be driven away.
I’m really paranoid as my Cali was new June and I’ve got a class 4 tracker as well - also fitted by same technician who did Ghost.
Find them on google or Facebook :thumb

You raise an important point. The California has excellent security measures with three alarms: internal motion sensor, door alarms and an anti tow alarm. It also has a deadlock which means that even if the vehicle is broken into the doors cannot easily be opened.

On a campsite with the roof up the internal motion detector needs to be switched off or the wind blowing the bellows can cause the alarm to go off. It is impossible to deadlock the vehicle with the internal motion sensors disabled, so doors can be opened from inside, and thus the door alarms are disabled also. I’ve no idea about the anti tow alarm but I expect that is disabled too.

While camping with the roof up the California has least to protect it.

We've got a ghost and a back2u tracker......overkill to some but keeps me happy.

Not mentioned......but do you have a spare safe?

Spare wheels are quite a common target.

On a campsite with the roof up the internal motion detector needs to be switched off or the wind blowing the bellows can cause the alarm to go off. It is impossible to deadlock the vehicle with the internal motion sensors disabled, so doors can be opened from inside, and thus the door alarms are disabled also.

Are you sure about that? The door deadlocking & the interior movement sensors are completely separate.

According to my manual:

Lock via central locking button on drivers door= no deadlocks, no alarm
Single press of key fob = deadlocks & full alarm
Single press of key fob + button on B pillar = deadlocks + alarm but interior sensor + tow away alarm disabled
Double press of key fob = No deadlocks but alarm set
Double press of key fob + button on B pillar = deadlocks + alarm but interior sensor + tow away alarm disabled

I don't even think about it. Perhaps it comes from leaving all my stuff around in tents whilst I went climbing.

many moons ago now but still part of my psyche in that I consider campsites to be inherently safe places anyway.

I deliberately leave the vw bike rack attached in order to provide extra security over the rear window.

Be sensible and do not leave any valuables on show.

Are you sure about that? The door deadlocking & the interior movement sensors are completely separate.

According to my manual:

Lock via central locking button on drivers door= no deadlocks, no alarm

Yes.

Single press of key fob = deadlocks & full alarm

Yes.

Single press of key fob + button on B pillar = deadlocks + alarm but interior sensor + tow away alarm disabled

No deadlock. Unsure about door alarm.

Double press of key fob = No deadlocks but alarm set

No interior sensor alarm. Unsure of tow alarm or door alarm.

Double press of key fob + button on B pillar = deadlocks + alarm but interior sensor + tow away alarm disabled

I tried this on a ferry crossing with our dog inside. She set off the interior alarm. This led me to believe that the stuff in the manual is a load of guff.

I’m now of the opinion that the driver’s door button, double fob click and B pillar + fob click all lock without deadlock and interior alarm.

I’m unsure about the door alarm and tow alarm.

I have tried and tested ways to deadlock without the interior alarm being set and failed. I have come to the conclusion that this is a higher level security measure to prevent someone being deadlocked in the van without the alarm sounding.

The ”deadlock” issue has been covered before and just to help confuse it appears that the “B pillar“ switches function may have changed from T5 to T6......

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Any of the tempered windows can be shattered with great ease. You could leave the bed down/shutter closed to make it more difficult to access the good stuff and hope they left their stepladder at home.
Mine’s got laminated glass all round; difficult to smash. Close the roof if not sure about security, not much of a chore!

If the drivers seat is turned round, they won't work out how to turn it back, lets face it,, Its a hard enough monomer to release Handbrake/Chair lever/hand on foot brake/armrest up/down.!!!!

You raise an important point. The California has excellent security measures with three alarms: internal motion sensor, door alarms and an anti tow alarm. It also has a deadlock which means that even if the vehicle is broken into the doors cannot easily be opened.

On a campsite with the roof up the internal motion detector needs to be switched off or the wind blowing the bellows can cause the alarm to go off. It is impossible to deadlock the vehicle with the internal motion sensors disabled, so doors can be opened from inside, and thus the door alarms are disabled also. I’ve no idea about the anti tow alarm but I expect that is disabled too.

While camping with the roof up the California has least to protect it.
Excuse my ignorance but how do switch off the internal motion detector?

Hi all,

View attachment 51701
Buy a big dog.

Excuse my ignorance but how do switch off the internal motion detector?

On the T6:
Double click of the key fob
Driver’s door rocker switch
B pillar button and single click of the fob
Also replace any click of the key fob by a turn of the key in the door lock barrel.

On the T6:
Double click of the key fob
Driver’s door rocker switch
B pillar button and single click of the fob
Also replace any click of the key fob by a turn of the key in the door lock barrel.
Now
This also disables the dead locking of the doors.

Thank you but I have aT5

Thank you but I have aT5

You have to do it from the drivers door, not from inside or the side door.

Open the drivers door,

To the right low down on the pillar is a switch. If it glows red then the alarm is activated. Press it and it will glow amber. The internal motion detectors are now disabled when you use the key fob to lock up.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the motion detectors activated except when inside the vehicle and locking up for the night, the switch below the mirror switch cluster will lock the doors but leave the motion detector unactivated.