Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Seeking Winter Wheel & Tyre recommendations for Grand California 600

F

far.landscape

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi folks,

Have searched and seen a few prior threads on this, but not managed to land on anything as a recommendation for winter tyres for a GC 600…

Would really appreciate any recommendations.

I just want to improve grip in cold conditions on the road, but would also really appreciate some better general grip too, having really noticed reduced grip when less than 4 degrees, and got stuck in a grassy car park!

- I don’t want to reduce the weight rating for the wheels & tyres compared to what’s already on there. Just don’t want any insurance issues.
- Currently, I have the standard 17” and conti van contact tyres, marked 235 60 R17 C 117 / 115 R (attached photo)
- Id like wheels and tyres as a set, so I can just swap them over myself when needed.
- I don’t really mind wheel size between 16 - 19.
- Currently the vin plate states 2100kg front and rear axles.

877f29008e2a0029fb915f697d38518b.jpg

Cargo vectors are available in the same size tyre as original

Sorry good year cargo vector 4seasons
They have good reviews and are useful all year round

Changed the conti summer tyres to cargo vector 4 seasons a month ago. Had some issues with the summer tyres on a very steep wet mud covered road when the van was slipping backwards with the brakes on.
Decided time to change and gave up on going for the BFGs (I have them on my disco and love them but decided with such a big heavy van I will not be doing any real off roaring). I had cargo vectors on my T5 and they were brilliant in the snow and mud.
Only been in two trips so far. Not been on the snow yet but been in the cold, mud and a wet grass campsite. All good so far. Not much increase in road noise and feel a lot more confident with them.

Changed the conti summer tyres to cargo vector 4 seasons a month ago. Had some issues with the summer tyres on a very steep wet mud covered road when the van was slipping backwards with the brakes on.
Decided time to change and gave up on going for the BFGs (I have them on my disco and love them but decided with such a big heavy van I will not be doing any real off roaring). I had cargo vectors on my T5 and they were brilliant in the snow and mud.
Only been in two trips so far. Not been on the snow yet but been in the cold, mud and a wet grass campsite. All good so far. Not much increase in road noise and feel a lot more confident with them.

That’s awesome to hear direct first hand experience. Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for I think. Did you swap them on to the existing rims or did you get new alloys too?

I’m guessing that they fitted the conti’s for fuel economy figures… but the seem absolutely rock hard with not too much grip on anything other than a clean dry road!!

Are these the ones you went for?…

ae29b2f6d9ab161fbade9ca7e052ee31.jpg

There the ones I have them as my spare wheels they fit on the original alloys

These are the ones I have. Just on the original rims. Lots of places seemed to have bother locating them on their systems or said long wait to get. Ended up just using national tyres.

Hi folks,

Have searched and seen a few prior threads on this, but not managed to land on anything as a recommendation for winter tyres for a GC 600…

Would really appreciate any recommendations.

I just want to improve grip in cold conditions on the road, but would also really appreciate some better general grip too, having really noticed reduced grip when less than 4 degrees, and got stuck in a grassy car park!

- I don’t want to reduce the weight rating for the wheels & tyres compared to what’s already on there. Just don’t want any insurance issues.
- Currently, I have the standard 17” and conti van contact tyres, marked 235 60 R17 C 117 / 115 R (attached photo)
- Id like wheels and tyres as a set, so I can just swap them over myself when needed.
- I don’t really mind wheel size between 16 - 19.
- Currently the vin plate states 2100kg front and rear axles.

877f29008e2a0029fb915f697d38518b.jpg

Not quite the same, I have Continental 4 season on my Grand Canyon Sprinter and still loose traction on wet/slightly muddy ground. Never got stuck, only a problem in the winter when ground is soft.
All terrain tyres would be the answer but to the detriment of the majority of driving i.e on tarmac.
As ever with Campervans it's a compromise.

Not changed these yet on my current van but had Michelin Cross climates previously and thought they were brilliant tyres.

Just watch out for the correct sizes if you are ever contemplating fitting chains. Usually the manual will say what size you should have.