Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Self Inflating Mattress that fits in roof

C

crashs2k

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach Tourer 150
Hi all and Happy New Year!

We have a 3 seat Beach Tour and a Sea to Summit comfort deluxe mattress that we use downstairs.

I bought it on the basis of some research on this forum that you could store it in the roof (deflated of course).

Unfortunately, I for the life of me can’t close the roof with the mattress in it and have come to the conclusion that this only works on the California‘a with the electric roof.

Could anyone confirm otherwise and if this is indeed correct does anyone have any suggestions as to a double SIM that can be stored in the (manual) roof of a Beach Tour?

My main priority is having a mattress that is quick to put away as I found the biggest challenge of using our Beach is the time it takes / logistical challenge to decamp in the morning and pack away all of our sleeping gear (2 adults, 3 children and dog)!

theres not a lot of room in the roof when down - with the beach you can feel the pressure on the closing action - i like the idea of stowing an inflating mattress in the roof and would be interested if you could find one that reduces down sufficiently to squeeze in - on the odd occasion we sleep downstairs we dont bother with mattress

Hi all and Happy New Year!

We have a 3 seat Beach Tour and a Sea to Summit comfort deluxe mattress that we use downstairs.

I bought it on the basis of some research on this forum that you could store it in the roof (deflated of course).

Unfortunately, I for the life of me can’t close the roof with the mattress in it and have come to the conclusion that this only works on the California‘a with the electric roof.

Could anyone confirm otherwise and if this is indeed correct does anyone have any suggestions as to a double SIM that can be stored in the (manual) roof of a Beach Tour?

My main priority is having a mattress that is quick to put away as I found the biggest challenge of using our Beach is the time it takes / logistical challenge to decamp in the morning and pack away all of our sleeping gear (2 adults, 3 children and dog)!
Don't force the roof, as its only made of lightweight alloy to keep the weight down. It will start to crease towards the rear scissor mech. If creased you will see 2 small bulges appear on the sides of the roof.

The only way I managed to stow a self-inflating mattress in the roof (on top of the existing mattress) was to vacuum it down flat first.
It is then difficult to get it that flat again when camping without access to the house vacuum.

Edit: Clarification that I was referring to stowage on top the existing mattress as the OP was not clear on this.

Last edited:
I’ve just bought the Sea to Summit self inflating mattress and thought it would be ok to keep it in the roof. It’s more than a bit disappointing if I can’t.

Its making me reconsider the choice of the S2S Comfort Deluxe now for my Coast. Maybe I will need to pack my Miele vacuum......

The only way I managed to stow a self-inflating mattress in the roof was to vacuum it down flat first.
It is then difficult to get it that flat again when camping without access to the house vacuum.
Then get something like this. We have something similar and it deflates the S2S mattress quickly.
1641841943683.png

I’ve just bought the Sea to Summit self inflating mattress and thought it would be ok to keep it in the roof. It’s more than a bit disappointing if I can’t.
Just to be clear I have a Beach with the manual roof.

From what I understand reading other threads on this forum, other California owners have successfully stored it in the roof. I am assuming they have the electric roof I.e. Coast or Ocean so you should hopefully be ok.

Then get something like this. We have something similar and it deflates the S2S mattress quickly.
View attachment 88048
You can never get the seal good enough with these small pumps, the only way the home vacuum works is its more powerful and compensates for the loss.
most SiF mattresses have a simple screw stub valve that’s difficult to get a seal on.

There is no need for a pump. I deflate my S2S using a simple ‘technique’ of gradually folding the mattress and sitting on it to deflate it until it is thin enough to leave in place. This is easily done in situ while the roof is still up.
NB The S2S has replaced the factory mattress.

Last edited:
There is no need for a pump. I deflate my S2S using a simple ‘technique’ of gradually folding the mattress and sitting on it to deflate it until it is thin enough to leave in place. This is easily done in situ while the roof is still up.
NB The S2S has replaced the factory mattress.
Surely if you have removed the factory mattress you have enough room without fully deflating it?

My modified hand/foot pump seal works ( with downstairs mattress) until I decide which battery option to buy.
1641897331023.jpeg

Surely if you have removed the factory mattress you have enough room without fully deflating it?inflated
Surely if you have removed the factory mattress you have enough room without fully deflating it?
Not necessarily, it negates the potential risk of the mattress expanding in heat and causing damage either to itself or, more significantly, the roof.

Reactions: Loz
Can anyone confirm that if I replace the factory mattress with the S2S I can just open the valves and let the roof compress the mattress the small amount it needs for the roof to close.

Can anyone confirm that if I replace the factory mattress with the S2S I can just open the valves and let the roof compress the mattress the small amount it needs for the roof to close.
I think you would be asking for trouble, as the foam insert is quite rigid and takes time to expel the air from the foam matrix. I think Broch's approach is the best way to go.

Hi Keith, We store the S2S mattress in the Ocean roof with the factory mattress removed. We tend to sleep downstairs so I roll it once to expel some of the air first before laying it flat on the roof slats for storage.

Thanks for the replies, you could have saved me from damaging the roof! I think I’ll invest in one of the inflator/deflator devices. It’s a pity both the valves are at the foot end.

Those of you with the S2S do you have the "Camper" width version? As these seem to be unavailable now.

I bought the one specifically for the California, the one with the bottom corner cut off, just before Christmas

Those of you with the S2S do you have the "Camper" width version? As these seem to be unavailable now.
Yes. The one with cut out corners at the “pillow end”/boot end of the bed.

Last edited:
Do you have a link for that?
I got mine from Sea to Summit the same a ArunAlec. On the invoice it’s called a
“Comfort Delux SI Size: Campervan Colour: Blue”

I haven’t tried fitting it in the van yet but I must admit I’m a bit disappointed in it, perhaps that will change once we use it. The valves are both at the shaped end which will make inflation/deflation difficult when it’s in the roof. I though that with it having two valves the mattress would be internally divided down the middle, so that I could lie on one side while I inflated the other. However it seems to be a single bag with two valves which makes it a basic design for a lot of money. Covid and the Scottish Government permitting we’re off to Scotland in April where we can give it a proper test and decide whether to love it or list it!

Back