Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Self inflicted damage.....

Salty

Salty

Salty
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Am I the only person to be besotted with a new Cali, who cares deeply about keeping it nice, only to metaphorically kick yourself in the wotsits because your a ham fisted, impatient git?

I've inflicted the following damage all by myself... in my first month..

1.Tried to force the front seat around against the handbrake, what a dope. I read about how to do it properly in here plenty of times, but no, when it came to me actually doing it I was like an elephant serving a cup of tea in a china cup.

2.Pushed the back seat down to make the bed, only to find the rubber mallet had decided to stand on end and poke its way into the plastic back. Not broken, but you know, there's a mark.

3.Somehow, i've put a little hole in the roof canvas. Week one I didn't know what I was doing and it turns out that a bit of time and thought is actually quite a handy thing. Should have tucked the canvas behind the funny little clip, actually behind the bit of seatbelt webbing that they use, rather than actually in the clip, what a twit.

4.And then, today. I took it to the car cleaner guys in Hayle who did a brilliant job, except for a bit of black stuff from their jet wash rubbed off onto the awning casing. I noticed it at home, screamed, and ran for the scrubbing brush. Rubbed and rubbed and lovely, it came off. Went back a bit later when it had dried, screamed even louder, I'd rubbed the lacquer off the casing, and you can see the brush marks...an even bigger twit.

Anyway, 5 weeks of ownership, 16 nights and 3500 miles later, it's the nuts, I love it.

Last edited:
You will get over this OCD I was just the same it will get easier I assure you few car park dings stains on the seats you will give up looking

I've inflicted the following damage all by myself... in my first month.
55 days and 3,000 miles and the only significant damage is a chewed handbrake handle, inflicted by Jess who surreptitiously did it while I was driving to Swanage. There's also a minuscule mark from my opening the driver's door onto the partially open awning. I consider both the above to enhance the individual character of the vehicle, rather than detract from it.

The catch holding the three-seat bench to its frame has failed, so that when the bench is in the normal seat position it can lift up. I consider this a warranty issue and hope to have it fixed soon.

A month or so in and I already have a supermarket car park paintwork wound badly touched up and a tiny patched tear in the bellows. I really hate that period in car ownership when such things get me down. I'll be glad when I stop caring so much!

Wing mirror scratched in week 1, seat-cover splashed in cooking oil in week 2, dog claw scratches on various internal bits of paintwork in week 3.

Can't imagine what she'll look like in five years!

My sliding door table has a ding in it, where a fridge popped off its bungees and slid into it around a bend. Scratched the door pocket in the drivers door whilst getting in with my "man bag". Lastly scratched the B pillar when spinning the drivers seat around (took me a while to perfect that technique).

We both have severe OCD … but for some reason, I stopped counting the small scratches and started to count the huge experiences we get. So @Salty, unless you suffer the same like @Raggedroy , time will cure to some extend ;-)

I must be lucky then. 4 stone chips on the front, all touched up, but I know where they are, after 45,000 miles. No Car Park dings so my parking strategy is working. Instead of avoiding the cars I go for the narrowest slot, ideally between 2 cars with the R vehicle nose in and the L tail in and use the sliding door. This means that neither side vehicle can use their passenger doors and have to pull out to let passengers in. :D:thumb

Frequently come back to find both slots empty.

I must be lucky then. 4 stone chips on the front, all touched up, but I know where they are, after 45,000 miles. No Car Park dings so my parking strategy is working. Instead of avoiding the cars I go for the narrowest slot, ideally between 2 cars with the R vehicle nose in and the L tail in and use the sliding door. This means that neither side vehicle can use their passenger doors and have to pull out to let passengers in. :D:thumb

Frequently come back to find both slots empty.
Brave strategy WG. You wouldn't want my daughter to be the driver of either of those cars :D.

We've managed to protect the exterior so far. Plenty of marks inside but like @Kmann we prefer to be OCT about how and what we pack and how to gain maximum enjoyment from our experiences.

Brave strategy WG. You wouldn't want my daughter to be the driver of either of those cars :D.

We've managed to protect the exterior so far. Plenty of marks inside but like @Kmann we prefer to be OCT about how and what we pack and how to gain maximum enjoyment from our experiences.
Oh she couldn't be worse than some of the drivers around here, trust me.

The catch holding the three-seat bench to its frame has failed, so that when the bench is in the normal seat position it can lift up. I consider this a warranty issue and hope to have it fixed soon.
Went to the dealer today.

Apparently the catch isn't broken, and the bench is supposed to lift in its normal sitting position.

I felt silly. But I still wonder why the seat would lift when the bench is in the normal sitting position.

Went to the dealer today.

Apparently the catch isn't broken, and the bench is supposed to lift in its normal sitting position.

I felt silly. But I still wonder why the seat would lift when the bench is in the normal sitting position.
What do you mean by lift up, can you tilt it forward?

What do you mean by lift up, can you tilt it forward?
If I lift the front edge of the bench, it rises, pivoting at the rear. Assuming yours is also a 3 seat bench, try it. I thought there was a catch keeping the front edge down in that position, but there isn't.

I reckon every third outing results in a daft mistake followed by total concentration and no incidents until I relax again. Scratched off side on station car park, chipped cupboards with dog crate, scratched work surface. But nothing as daft as breaking grab handle last weekend. Off to Ffestiniog this weekend - absolutely no incidents please.

If I lift the front edge of the bench, it rises, pivoting at the rear. Assuming yours is also a 3 seat bench, try it. I thought there was a catch keeping the front edge down in that position, but there isn't.
I reckon every third outing results in a daft mistake followed by total concentration and no incidents until I relax again. Scratched off side on station car park, chipped cupboards with dog crate, scratched work surface. But nothing as daft as breaking grab handle last weekend. Off to Ffestiniog this weekend - absolutely no incidents please.
I have just checked and mine does the same but I do not see it as an issue.

I forgot the top of the door due to the door being opened with the awning too low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dash cam unstuck and put a scratch on the satnav / radio touchscreen in the first weeks, closely followed by scratching my b-pillar swivelling a seat incorrectly - both in the first week.

A landscape gardener then reversed his flat-bed truck into me whilst I was stationary = new £2K tailgate, thankfully via insurance.

Latest atrocity was following an eejit transporting 'recycling boxes' on an open-sided trailer & collecting one in the front valance at speed. I nipped out for a look & couldn't see anything (and was more worried about getting run over / rear-ended whilst looking), but it turns out the fog light blanking panel has a split in it now & a few other marks - obviously the above dash cam didn't pick it up so no numberplate for an insurance claim.

With a regular car I'd laugh it off, but it hurts more on a Cali. On the other hand I'm planning on keeping this T6 till it falls apart or diesel is outlawed, so it's all just character or patina in the long run! :D

I forgot the top of the door due to the door being opened with the awning too low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do this with the sliding door against the Fiamma on my T5 - every. single. time.