Selling my beloved California Ocean

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
This has been an incredibly emotional road.
I remember joking with my regular spa therapist back in 2011 that I would buy a VW camper when I started competing at dog agility. At that stage we were still in basic training.
I’d never been in one and not driven one when I ordered my T6 Ocean in Sept 2015. I picked it up March 1st 2016, got window tints done and then headed south to camp (below freezing) for Crufts. Came home with winner of PG category for Ellie at her 3rd ever show. The Cali was perfect, and all the extra’s I had bought months before delivery, were all very much used and appreciated.
Lots more camping for the rest of 2016 - I think I attended every VW Cali event and also organised one alongside @SimonB (I hope I tagged the right one). Several other trips with @2into1 , @Dottie and Judith. All very enjoyable and lovely people. That involved lots of miles from NE Scotland, and many nights in the Cali in the first 6 months.
I had always intended to breed from Ellie, and was extremely fortunate that she passed every health test as clear, has a great character, and is a super mum. So, I end up with 4 Tollers. Very happy. But then started struggling to camp with the Cali and 4 dogs...
Next step was a dog trailer, trying to keep it minimal. It works / worked. But still not ideal.
And for daily driving I have 2 crates on the parcel shelf, one on the bench seat and another on the floor. Anytime I need to open a cupboard or access the fridge etc., it’s a major operation.
I wasn’t aware small caravans were available. And after feeling more confident towing the dog trailer, I then saw posts from @GrannyJen and others about Eriba’s... So, I ended up ordering an Eriba for longer camping trips in February. Only picked it (her/him) up last week due to lockdown. And totally delighted. But I discovered I can’t open the tailgate (unless perfectly horizontal). So for long journeys with 2 dogs in the back, this won’t work.
So, very, very sadly, I have just sold my beloved Cali Ocean and am taking delivery of a VW Kombi (T6.1, 4Motion, DSG, etc. etc.) in a few months. It has double sliding doors which will allow access to the (yet to be bought) 2 up 2 down dog crates in the back, with access also from the front.
I have no intention of leaving this forum and hope I can stay in touch with those I have met and maybe meet some more lovely Cali folk at future meets, albeit camping in the next field...
I would love to re-join the true Cali folk in the future, but can’t possibly see myself wishing away any of my 4 beloved Tollers.
So, I hope I can remain on the forum as a Cali lover, albeit without a Cali....

Last edited:
I also realise I may need advice from other T6 / T6.1 and Eriba owners on what forums I need to join (@Loz @GrannyJen ) ?

T6 forum and Eriba forum for you
then.
Unless you can be a Mod on a Cali forum without actually
owning one.
goodluck.

T6 forum and Eriba forum for you
then.
Unless you can be a Mod on a Cali forum without actually
owning one.
goodluck.
I think our posts crossed... yup need advice on best T6 and Eriba forums. Any useful tipsnon which are best would be great.
On the Cali club page. I will leave that to the owners to decide.

I think our posts crossed... yup need advice on best T6 and Eriba forums. Any useful tipsnon which are best would be great.
On the Cali club page. I will leave that to the owners to decide.
You will be great as a moderator on the T6 forum.

You will be great as a moderator on the T6 forum.
Thank you. That’s very kind of you to say.
I’m not on that forum yet. And I realised I need to join. Can you PM me a link?

Thank you. I’m slightly overwhelmed with how large the forum is, but maybe just need to dive in... eek!

Please don't leave us Alison.

Do you actually need to own a California to be a forum member? I may be wrong but I don't think it's a requirement. Just slap some Cali stickers on your Combi. No one will notice. :thumb
I think I have lifetime membership...
and once I am more mobile with the Kombi and Eriba, I’ll be hoping for some invites for your wee gatherings...

I have always felt that it is enjoyment of the lifestyle that is important to be part of the club much more than the type of vehicle you drive.
You will always be very welcome at any of the Meets that I have a part in helping with @AlisonF .
You might find it easier to get on the campsites at present with your own shower and loo. Many touring sites are restricting the numbers of units that don't have their own facilities, ie tents and campervans, because it puts more strain on the site's own facilities.

No need to leave, many will be happy to benefit from your expertise as a Cali-, dog- and Eriba owner!
And we all love pictures so please post some of your new pride and joy!

Last edited:
Slap some stickers on it, and if you want to make Borris's day make them Beach. Best of luck Alison and please don't go.:cheers

Hi Alison,

We had exactly the same problem as you in opening the tailgate (we have an Eriba Nova GL and 2 setters).

Our solution was to remove the VW removable towbar, and replace it with a fixed one (also VW) with an extension plate/spacer to move the ball further away from the tailgate. It’s now fine and we can keep our Cali and also tow the caravan.

It would have been a pity to sell either the Cali or the Caravan.

Slap some stickers on it, and if you want to make Borris's day make them Beach. Best of luck Alison and please don't go.:cheers
Frankly I don't care what type of van people have just as long as it suits them. I completely agree with the sentiment expressed above: " it is enjoyment of the lifestyle that is important". I've always maintained that any club is just as much about the interaction between it's members than the "vehicle" that brings them together. Yes the object provides the main focus of any club but once you've exhausted all the usual club related topics you end up just repeating yourself. Along the way you meet interesting people and make friendships. If Alison has a Combi I will be just as interested in hearing her views and experiences of that vehicle but even more interested in the conversation that flows when friends get together.

Last edited:
Hi Alison
As said previously let us know how you get on with the Eriba and post some pic :thumb

You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave...

Please don’t go, it’s good to have some fellow agility friends here.

Today has been incredibly emotional... the Silver Dream Machine no longer belongs to me... I cried all the way to the dealer, but I know that with 4 dogs it simply hasn’t been working for us to go camping, which is what we wanted to do...
Today was the first time I have even SEEN my VW seats and footwell carpets, as the waterproof covers and rubber mats were fitted before original pick up.
All the shelves still have the original protectors on (I had just cut non slip coverings to go on top), and the original barely used mattress upstairs is back (as I used a zonesleep).
Despite a couple of scratches where the dog crates were rubbing against the bench seat, this is a solid buy for someone...
I hope to own another in the future. Bye bye to the Silver Dream Machine who helped make some of my dreams come true...

Bon voyage Alison to the dream machine, tomorrow is the start of a new dream and with a lovely Eriba to sleep in you still have two magic vehicles to make dreams and memories with :)

Still so emotional for you, I cried when Albert went and I was picking Alfie up the following day ...:(

Bon voyage Alison to the dream machine, tomorrow is the start of a new dream and with a lovely Eriba to sleep in you still have two magic vehicles to make dreams and memories with :)

Still so emotional for you, I cried when Albert went and I was picking Alfie up the following day ...:(
Thank you. I have a loan vehicle without a towbar until my new van arrives, so sadly no camping with the Eriba...
I didn’t expect to feel as emotional as I did today. It was hard to walk away. I hope the next owner takes good care of ‘MY’ dream machine...

Back