Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service before we go abroad

James Parkin

James Parkin

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

I’m going to be abroad in Central Europe for 4-months and I was wondering if I should get a full service before we go.
The last service was only done in July 2017 at 47K miles, it’s now at 51K.
Just concerned with getting a service abroad especially with all of our belongings in the van ... Also sorting alternate accommodation whilst the service is being performed, incurring more cost (particularly if work is required...). Concerned about leaving it ‘til I get back as want to keep it in line with a FSH.
What would you recommend?
If it a pain to get a service abroad (in say Austria?).
Cheers.
James

Hi

I’m going to be abroad in Central Europe for 4-months and I was wondering if I should get a full service before we go.
Just concerned with getting a service abroad especially with all of our belongings in the van ... Also sorting alternate accommodation whilst the service is being performed, incurring more cost (particularly if work is required...). Concerned about leaving it ‘til I get back as want to keep it in line with a FSH.
Cheers.
James

We've had a repair in Poland, a repair in Spain, a service in Spain, a puncture repair in Sicily and a repair in Greece. It really is not a problem.

1. Book the repair/service
2. On the morning of your service empty you van as recommended by the garage, dumping your gear in your driveaway awning (or elsewhere)
3. Take your van in for the service/repair
4. Relax and enjoy the day
5. Pick up your van

The garage should drop you off at your campsite and either pick you up or deliver your van afterwards.

Services will all be logged anywhere in Europe onto the same computer system.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

hi, getting the van serviced in Austria or Germany is easy, just book it in like you would in the UK. as to if it needs a service or not is up to you. if you are unsure of the van get it looked at before you go. only you can know how you have looked after the van, and only you can answer your question. F

Hi

Cheers.
James
Maybe I’m being stupid, but how many miles are you planning on covering between now and the end of your trip.
Normal long life service schedule is 20,000 miles or 2 years.

Maybe I’m being stupid, but how many miles are you planning on covering between now and the end of your trip.
Normal long life service schedule is 20,000 miles or 2 years.

Thanks for your replies.
Well, it’s hard to say really as I’ve never done anything like this, so I don’t know what to expect.
We’ve been to France for a week and covered 2K miles. Yes we were driving more frequently than we would over the 4-months due to the time factor, but I can imagine we’ll cover in excess of 10K miles as we’re going as far as Croatia, and doing a loop around Germany and Italy. I’m a total noob, but the last interval service was conducted at 47K miles. Would it be worth taking her for just an oil change service prior to our departure.
We don’t have a drive-away awning tent FYI so nowhere to store our belongings, so it’s a bit of a concern on that front.

Thanks for your replies.
Well, it’s hard to say really as I’ve never done anything like this, so I don’t know what to expect.
We’ve been to France for a week and covered 2K miles. Yes we were driving more frequently than we would over the 4-months due to the time factor, but I can imagine we’ll cover in excess of 10K miles as we’re going as far as Croatia, and doing a loop around Germany and Italy. I’m a total noob, but the last interval service was conducted at 47K miles. Would it be worth taking her for just an oil change service prior to our departure.
We don’t have a drive-away awning tent FYI so nowhere to store our belongings, so it’s a bit of a concern on that front.
There is I believe upto a 1000 mile leeway on the service schedule. So I wouldn’t worry about the Service Checks too much but I think you would be happier having an oil change before you depart.

There is I believe upto a 1000 mile leeway on the service schedule. So I wouldn’t worry about the Service Checks too much but I think you would be happier having an oil change before you depart.

I think you’re right.
This is classed as a Minor Service if I’ve read correct?
Cheers.

Back