Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service problem

BlueMoonCali59

BlueMoonCali59

Star
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just had my 180 SE serviced, 28K miles - they replaced Cam belt and water pump too and serviced air con - no change out of 1200 quid - when I started it in garage it stuttered I thought nothing of it - big mistake - drove it for 30 mins and it won't restart - AA said it was air/fuel flow issue

Any thoughts ?

It feels like my dealer messed up big time but interested to see what anyone else thinks

Had similar with my Touran as they had forgotten to attach turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turns out they got the timing wrong on new a cam belt some of the teeth were misaligned - they admit that if it was our more it would've been major engine damage !!

How serious can this mistake be ?
Could it have caused hidden damage I won't know about yet?

Thanks

Turns out they got the timing wrong on new a cam belt some of the teeth were misaligned - they admit that if it was our more it would've been major engine damage !!

Thanks
Lucky escape for them, could have cost them an engine.

Thanks
That is shocking. I'm no mechanic so can't comment upon potential damage - there are many here who are knowledgeable in that respect though.

Sadly it seems to be symptomatic of a lack of quality control / attention to detail / customer service at main dealers. And I'm not having a go at VW dealers particularly here. I've had similar problems with Vauxhall, Citroen, Ford, Mercedes and Volvo dealers in the past.

I don't usually buy new cars so it's a while since I have dealt with main dealers. I have a great local garage that I can trust. But - having gone for the 5 year warranty with my Cali (for peace of mind !!) - I am re-learning the trials and tribulations of a main dealer relationship all over again. It's been a rocky road .............

thanks, on this evidence I maybe going to my local non VW trusted garage next -

but keen to hear from anyone who may have tech info about possible damage - i drove the Cali for an hour at 70mph before I realised the problem - it seemed to drive fine but wouldn't start when i stopped until AA got it going - dealer has since accepted liability and fixed timing - they say there are no signs of damage?

they admitted it was their operator error and I'm asking for an agreement than any future engine problems that can be reasonably proved to have been caused by this error they will fix - watch this space

anyone with any tech ideas please share thanks

i drove the Cali for an hour at 70mph before I realised the problem - it seemed to drive fine but wouldn't start when i stopped until AA got it going - dealer has since accepted liability and fixed timing - they say there are no signs of damage?

they admitted it was their operator error and I'm asking for an agreement than any future engine problems that can be reasonably proved to have been caused by this error they will fix - watch this space

That's not good, but it is positive (and surprising) that they've admitted it.

I'm not qualified to say whether there may or may not be potential issues down the line, but I think it's essential that you insist on a face-to-face meeting with their Dealer Principal or similar to get it put in writing that they've screwed-up on a core component and will properly support you should any issues arise.

Depending on your level of confidence it might be worth talking to a Solicitor too to make sure you're covered.

If the timing is significantly out it wouldn't have started, or it starts and immediately something touches like pistons meet valves and they bend.
I would at the very least demand a compression test on all cylinders and insist as you have, that any future issue regarding pistons, rods or valve gear is covered by them.

Just had my 180 SE serviced, 28K miles - they replaced Cam belt and water pump too and serviced air con - no change out of 1200 quid - when I started it in garage it stuttered I thought nothing of it - big mistake - drove it for 30 mins and it won't restart - AA said it was air/fuel flow issue

Any thoughts ?

It feels like my dealer messed up big time but interested to see what anyone else thinks

£1200.... Frightening.. Why change the water pump? 28,000 is nothing.

Did you have a service plan?

Cambelt needs changing after 4 years regardless of mileage and the cambelt is not part of the service plan

£1200.... Frightening.. Why change the water pump? 28,000 is nothing.

Did you have a service plan?
Because it is a relatively cheap part and replacing it on its own involves disturbing the cambelt and tensioner.
Yes it's only covered 28k miles but it is 4/5 yrs old, and spent a lot of that time under tension in a static position. Not good for bearings and seals.
Cambelt not covered by service plan.

Definitely get it in writing, correspond by email and record any phone calls. People change jobs...

As welshgas says changing the waterpump involves removing the cambelt and as the pump itself is only about £40 it makes sense to change it at the same time even if there appears nothing wrong with it because if it starts leaking say 6 months after you have had a new belt fitted vw will charge you £40 plus 2 hours labour + £75 plus vat. False economy

OK but would be interested to know how long a water pump should last? And how much that was with fitting?
OEM water pump costs about £45/50.
Cambelt and Water pump replacements, parts and labour, VW fixed price £450 approx ex VAT. Frequently the Dealers have offers.
Just replacing water pump, parts and Labour about £400.

The Water Pump could last for a good number of years, BUT when it fails it can either dump coolant into engine sump or seize and damage cambelt. So seems to be a no brainer to replace with cambelt.

Last edited:
OEM water pump costs about £45/50.
Cambelt and Water pump replacements, parts and labour, VW fixed price £450 approx inc VAT. Frequently the Dealers have offers.
Just replacing water pump, parts and Labour about £400.

The Water Pump could last for a good number of years, BUT when it fails it can either dump coolant into engine sump or seize and damage cambelt. So seems to be a no brainer to replace with cambelt.

OK I see... No brainer... Looks like I will have to start saving for my services...

Thanks for this - compression test a good idea - is that a big number?

And meeting service manager Monday to agree what's to be done - will keep you posted

Water pump and cam belt cost me £602 including vat

Water pump 46,coolant 10,repair kit 170, labour 266 - this was the most expensive part of the service 50%

From what you guys are saying seems my dealer is making up their own prices certainly not offering a fixed price for anything

I've checked 4 Dealerships and unless they had an offer, as I posted above, the maximum price was as below. Don't forget to add Antifreeze cost.

IMG_0270.PNG

From what you guys are saying seems my dealer is making up their own prices certainly not offering a fixed price for anything
Does your Dealership have a price list On-line as the other Dealerships I checked have?

Latest

dealer agreed to do compression test today await results tomorrow if all good we agreed they will put in writing what happened taking responsibility - but it ends there - he wouldn't agree to accept future failing costs as consequence stating that if there was damage it would be apparent now - compression test was compromise

They have agreed to give me a massive discount on service price

Have to say although it was clearly an error on their part they're taking it on the chin -

Test results tomorrow will post if anyone has thoughts gratefully received

Thanks

Back