Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servicing confusion - Vehicle <3 years old

Just find a local greasy monkey with a couple of adjustable spanner’s.
Give him some filters and oil and one of those notes with the red on and job done… ;)
Your response is rude and uncalled for, our other VW is a Caravelle, which for years has been looked after by a local workshop; who incidentally has a high reputation in the area. It doesn't use Adjustable spanners! has a team of well trained technicians whom have shown over many years a competence with our fleet of vehicles. Most importantly for us they are only 6 miles away not 50miles, with is the distance to the VW agent! So whilst I uphold your right to express your opinion it does help to have the facts to judge and base your opinion on before opening your mouth; to change feet!

Fortunately I don't have this problem as I was covering 20,000 miles/Yr so annual oil and filters. Since Covid much less but I have still changed the oil every year . Less miles more degradation of the oil.
If you plan on keeping longterm I would treat it to an oil change.
Since its already at 15k km at the end of the summer, a maintenance will be scheduled in winter, when it will see less use. Until that time, I hope the existing oil will keep it sufficiently lubricated. I expect it’ll be around 25k when it goes in for first maintenance.

or is that a risk and too long to be good?

thx!

Since its already at 15k km at the end of the summer, a maintenance will be scheduled in winter, when it will see less use. Until that time, I hope the existing oil will keep it sufficiently lubricated. I expect it’ll be around 25k when it goes in for first maintenance.

or is that a risk and too long to be good?

thx!
That's fine. If it is required to be done earlier you will get a warning on the Dashboard display. Or check the Display under Service. It will tell you how many Km or Days to Oil Service or Major Service.

The Km to Oil Service is based on a sensor reading from the Oil. Short trips generally less Km's and Longer trips more Km's.

Your response is rude and uncalled for, our other VW is a Caravelle, which for years has been looked after by a local workshop; who incidentally has a high reputation in the area. It doesn't use Adjustable spanners! has a team of well trained technicians whom have shown over many years a competence with our fleet of vehicles. Most importantly for us they are only 6 miles away not 50miles, with is the distance to the VW agent! So whilst I uphold your right to express your opinion it does help to have the facts to judge and base your opinion on before opening your mouth; to change feet!

I think you missed the point.
Servicing is a simple task. I would say, a vast majority of people can do it themselves. I’ve serviced some of my own vehicles over the years. However, It’s not worth wasting my time these days.
Point being, don’t bother with a Volkswagen “Technician” when Jack round the corner will do a perfectly good job for a lot less money…

Some would argue that on low milage vehicles timed oil changes are more important. Oil degrades over time and absorbs moisture from the air. Regular use helps to maintain its lubrication function.
I'm sure you're right. My point was that the spanner reminder appears not to following VW dealer recommendations.

I'm sure you're right. My point was that the spanner reminder appears not to following VW dealer recommendations.
The Oil Service is determined by 2 factors.
1. Time in days. If set up for Long Life Service then this counts down from 730 days to 0 days = 2 yrs.
2. Oil Quality Sensor. New Oil, after a 500 mile setup period , will show a value of something close to 20,000 miles to next oil change. As the oil degrades this milage gradually falls to 0 miles and triggers the Dashboard Service warning. However the speed of change is determined by the type of driving/ journeys undertaken.
Short trips, constant engine speed changes will degrade the oil faster than long distance cruising journeys.

Pre-Covid the Dashboard Oil Service information would show 6000 + miles to Oil Service despite me already having covered 20,000 miles since the last oil change as my trips were long distance, to Italy, Nordkapp in Norway etc.

Some information from VW on Extended Service Interval.

Attachments

• SSP_224.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
That's fine. If it is required to be done earlier you will get a warning on the Dashboard display. Or check the Display under Service. It will tell you how many Km or Days to Oil Service or Major Service.

The Km to Oil Service is based on a sensor reading from the Oil. Short trips generally less Km's and Longer trips more Km's.
The service warning for oil inspection alreday popped up around 15k km (approx 8 months old), but when checking with dealer, they said (after running the VIN in their system) taht it doesn’t need it yet and that the sensor has been coded at 15k km incorrectly in the factory. So they simply resetted & recoded the thing, telling me to come in at 30k instead. They said they had to recode a lot of cars lately wit the same issue.

Anyway, 1st service is going to be planned in winter months (when still less than 30k km expected & around it’s first anniversary). Van is driving mostly long distances, with a lot of highway km and then shorter local distance in between.

The Oil Service is determined by 2 factors.
1. Time in days. If set up for Long Life Service then this counts down from 730 days to 0 days = 2 yrs.
2. Oil Quality Sensor. New Oil, after a 500 mile setup period , will show a value of something close to 20,000 miles to next oil change. As the oil degrades this milage gradually falls to 0 miles and triggers the Dashboard Service warning. However the speed of change is determined by the type of driving/ journeys undertaken.
Short trips, constant engine speed changes will degrade the oil faster than long distance cruising journeys.

Pre-Covid the Dashboard Oil Service information would show 6000 + miles to Oil Service despite me already having covered 20,000 miles since the last oil change as my trips were long distance, to Italy, Nordkapp in Norway etc.

Some information from VW on Extended Service Interval.
Useful info thanks.

Interesting thread - I have a similarly related question: the oil change warning countdown came on while travelling - now we're back I've managed to book it in for an oil change, however the countdown recently ended.

It just says "oil change due". Does anyone know if it will invalidate the warranty if I continue to drive it (500 kms at most)?

Thanks!

Interesting thread - I have a similarly related question: the oil change warning countdown came on while travelling - now we're back I've managed to book it in for an oil change, however the countdown recently ended.

It just says "oil change due". Does anyone know if it will invalidate the warranty if I continue to drive it (500 kms at most)?

Thanks!
If you book the van in as soon as you are aware, there should be no problem to use the van and continue the warranty normally, speak to your dealer who should confirm this.

Last edited:
The service warning for oil inspection alreday popped up around 15k km (approx 8 months old), but when checking with dealer, they said (after running the VIN in their system) taht it doesn’t need it yet and that the sensor has been coded at 15k km incorrectly in the factory. So they simply resetted & recoded the thing, telling me to come in at 30k instead. They said they had to recode a lot of cars lately wit the same issue.

Anyway, 1st service is going to be planned in winter months (when still less than 30k km expected & around it’s first anniversary). Van is driving mostly long distances, with a lot of highway km and then shorter local distance in between.
So, coming back to my earlier post.

Van (1 year old) had its first service today (at 30k km) after the “oil inspection” warning came on the MFD. Dealer has done a “longlife service 30.000km”, which is (when looking at the invoice) mostly oil + filter change and some fluid level checks.

According to the manual, the maintenance schedule says “oil 30k & maintenance 40k”. When asking the dealer when the next service would be due, they responded “in 30k km”. So no intervention when I hit the 40k km mark.

So this has me confused now. Is the dealer info correct? Or should I expect a next service after the next 10k when I hit 40k km!?

Who can clarify for me?
What would a maintenance service include vs Oil Inspection?

thanks in advance!!

So, coming back to my earlier post.

Van (1 year old) had its first service today (at 30k km) after the “oil inspection” warning came on the MFD. Dealer has done a “longlife service 30.000km”, which is (when looking at the invoice) mostly oil + filter change and some fluid level checks.

According to the manual, the maintenance schedule says “oil 30k & maintenance 40k”. When asking the dealer when the next service would be due, they responded “in 30k km”. So no intervention when I hit the 40k km mark.

So this has me confused now. Is the dealer info correct? Or should I expect a next service after the next 10k when I hit 40k km!?

Who can clarify for me?
What would a maintenance service include vs Oil Inspection?

thanks in advance!!
There are 2 types of Service on the Longlife Schedule.

1. Oil and filter at maximum 2 yrs, 20, 000 miles OR when indicated by the Oil Sensor ( this will vary according to the driving style and type of journeys.)

2. Service Inspection, Time defined at 2 yrs or 730 days. Includes other filters Air, Pollen, and inspection of brakes etc, etc.

3. Other items are distance and/or time related such as DSG, Haldex on 4Motion vehicles and these are normally at 40,000 mile intervals .
Not totally sure about time interval. I do high milage so I tend to have an Oilchange annually and sService Inspection and DSG and Haldex every 2 yrs.

1. Oil and filter at maximum 2 yrs, 20, 000 miles OR when indicated by the Oil Sensor ( this will vary according to the driving style and type of journeys.)
2. Service Inspection, Time defined at 2 yrs or 730 days. Includes other filters Air, Pollen, and inspection of brakes etc, etc.
3. Other items are distance and/or time related such as DSG, Haldex on 4Motion vehicles and these are normally at 40,000 mile intervals .
Not totally sure about time interval. I do high milage so I tend to have an Oilchange annually and sService Inspection and DSG and Haldex every 2 yrs.

VW California Ocean 150 DSG 2019.

First query, why is there no "fixed price servicing" on vehicles less than 3 years old? (VW Transporter/Cali)

Second query, my Cali is 2 years old, done 12300 miles and needs it's first insp+oil service.
I would like to change the service interval to 12months/10000miles, that's a given, due to low mileage, and often shorter journeys.

So does it need an Interim or Full service?
Local(ish) VW Dealer say interim, with pollen filter. Price £348 all inclusive(!) Seems expensive for an interim?
They then say given my mileage, next year would also be an interim, then a full service the year after that ( so now 4 years old before first full service).
Obviously that suggests to me they are still kind of following the LL service plan rather then TD?

I don't have a service plan, but tempted to buy one (for 2 services) but if I do that and they do Interim, and Interim, I won't get a full service in on the plan.
Seems wrong somewhere to me.

Anyone have any guidance/words of wisdom?
I’ve just had my first ‘inspection service’ at 2 years from new and 11500 miles. It cost £180 including oil change from my local VW main dealer (Heritage Van Centre). In retrospect I should have also got them to refill the adblue which cost me £38 later the same day. Quite why pee (urea) costs so much, I haven’t got a clue! Does anyone have any experience of getting it topped up during a service?

Does anyone have any experience of getting it topped up during a service?
My last service 12 months ago they topped up mine without charge.

Clear, thanks!
Final question for clarification: for high mileage users, you have in year 1 only oil service and in year, this will be a service inspection (which is oil service combined with other items such as brakes, suspension, pollen, haldex/DSG if needed, …)

is that a correct understanding?

cheers

Clear, thanks!
Final question for clarification: for high mileage users, you have in year 1 only oil service and in year, this will be a service inspection (which is oil service combined with other items such as brakes, suspension, pollen, haldex/DSG if needed, …)

is that a correct understanding?

cheers
Yes. That's what I do.

Back