Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Servicing - Warranty T&C's

Jimmmy

Jimmmy

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi there !

Just trying to wade through the terms and conditions of the factory warranty....

I would like to have my 2021 Cali serviced by the independent garage I have used for many years. But it is not a VW garage and not VW approved. It seems very difficult to get a categorical answer as to whether this would affect the warranty.

Anyone got any thoughts on this one please ?

Many thanks,

Jim

My understanding is that you can use a non franchise dealer. However, whilst they might be cheaper, if there was a warranty claim later, you can almost guarantee they would try and blame the other garage for not following the specific VW servicing guideline etc. So it's a balance between cost and convenience. Plus, there's a possible impact on the re-sale value if that's important to you (it probably would be to the buyer as they likely wouldn't know anything about the independent garage you used for servicing even if they are great).

Just to add that the independent dealer would need to use VW approved parts and you would need to evidence that should you need to make a warranty claim etc. It also might depend on whether you have financed the vehicle and what what the finance agreement says.

Last edited:
If the Indy is VAT registered then in theory it should not be an issue provided they use genuine VW parts and have carried out the work to the same standard as VW.

....but I would keep the servicing with VW until the warranty expires in order to avoid any warranty issues; It's a commercial vehicle so should only need a service once every couple of years so cost saving using an Indy for 1st couple of services will be minimal.

Just to add that the independent dealer would need to use VW approved parts and you would need to evidence that should you need to make a warranty claim etc. It also might depend on whether you have financed the vehicle and what what the finance agreement says.
Thanks for that. Really appreciate your thoughts.

My reason for using an independent is not so much about saving money, more a confidence thing !! I have used the independent for many years with VW Caddy's and they are very knowledgeable, reliable and careful. They can upload the service detail to the VW system so that's also not a problem.

As for re-sale, again I agree. I plan to keep the Cali for a long time - but must be sensible regarding re-sale value as plans can of course change.

Thanks again.

If the Indy is VAT registered then in theory it should not be an issue provided they use genuine VW parts and have carried out the work to the same standard as VW.

....but I would keep the servicing with VW until the warranty expires in order to avoid any warranty issues; It's a commercial vehicle so should only need a service once every couple of years so cost saving using an Indy for 1st couple of services will be minimal.
Thanks for that. I have read discussion on the forums about confusion between inspections versus servicing. Our Cali is not doing mega miles so service is likely to be time related rather than mileage.

When is the first service due based on time (rather than mileage) ?

All the best,

Jim

Just another thought... Why does it make a difference if the Indy is VAT registered or not ?

I think there maybe a difference between T&Cs of the factory warranty and extended warranties. Some extended warranties, such as Porsche stipulate that servicing is carried out by them as part of the contract you enter into when you buy the warranty

Just another thought... Why does it make a difference if the Indy is VAT registered or not ?
Sorry - I was getting mixed up with third party warranty companies who normally insist on VAT invoice to settle a claim if you get the work carried out by your own garage.

For VW check the small print in the warranty as per @ArunAlec above.

I think there maybe a difference between T&Cs of the factory warranty and extended warranties. Some extended warranties, such as Porsche stipulate that servicing is carried out by them as part of the contract you enter into when you buy the warranty
That's interesting. What would happen if the extended warranty required VW servicing but the initial factory warranty did not. So say for the 1st 3 years it got serviced independently and then when the extended warranty started it was only serviced by VW ? !!

That's interesting. What would happen if the extended warranty required VW servicing but the initial factory warranty did not. So say for the 1st 3 years it got serviced independently and then when the extended warranty started it was only serviced by VW ? !!
With the Porsche extended warranty.. Porsche carry out an inspection of the car (you have to pay for) then if they are happy that the car is up to scratch they will sell you the warranty. I don’t know whether they are concerned about whether the servicing had been carried out by an independent, an interesting question!

Hi there !

Just trying to wade through the terms and conditions of the factory warranty....

I would like to have my 2021 Cali serviced by the independent garage I have used for many years. But it is not a VW garage and not VW approved. It seems very difficult to get a categorical answer as to whether this would affect the warranty.

Anyone got any thoughts on this one please ?

Many thanks,

Jim
As many have suggested. There are good vw garages out there...but you have to do some research and you do need to build a repour with the service team etc. This will help enormously should you need to make a vw warranty claim. The vw service team have to make the claim on your behalf, so they need to be comfortable that the claim will succeed and hence it helps if the vw garage has undertaken previous service work for you.

I do not know where you are located, but personally I now use and trust the Birmingham VW Van Centre....and yes they have successfully argued the case for warranty work on my behalf.

As many have suggested. There are good vw garages out there...but you have to do some research and you do need to build a repour with the service team etc. This will help enormously should you need to make a vw warranty claim. The vw service team have to make the claim on your behalf, so they need to be comfortable that the claim will succeed and hence it helps if the vw garage has undertaken previous service work for you.

I do not know where you are located, but personally I now use and trust the Birmingham VW Van Centre....and yes they have successfully argued the case for warranty work on my behalf.
Thanks Alan, I have visited the Birmingham Van Centre several times and they do seem helpful. Parking is somewhat cramped ;)

Thanks Alan, I have visited the Birmingham Van Centre several times and they do seem helpful. Parking is somewhat cramped ;)
Yes parking has always been an issue there. It helps to have sensors and a rear view camera!

Back