Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shaken but not stirred

• Thread starter Julie and Archie
  • Start date
Julie and Archie

Julie and Archie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I was wondering how those who were out last night got on in the winds. We were in Calais at Eurotunnel. Arrived late when the strong winds had started. Didn’t put roof up as was a bit worried. We still had a night of rocking and rolling. It got to 40 mph. Was warm and cosy. Archie was very quiet, not sure he enjoyed the feeling of being on a boat. I was slightly worried too if I’m honest. Driving was a bit unnerving too both traveling through France and coming up the M6 today where I passed two bad accidents.

Thought it would be good to hear the best advice when driving/camping in a gale from the seasoned travellers

Thanks

Have always looked at what trees would fall on the van in a gale when camping in stormy weather and moved if needed.

Parking with rear to the wind is the sensible sounding advice I’ve read.

With roof down just face the wind or rear end to it.

Mike

Mike

Mine was on the drive of my new home over night and the wind gusts were very strong. I spent a fair amount of time waiting to hear the crash of roof tiles.
I know that doesn't help with your search for advice but just sharing some cali caring.
I wanted to move it away from the reach of rogue debris and sleep in it but nowhere away from trees or buildings sprung to mind.
Drove into work this morning and I think the gusts had eased because I hardly noticed any buffeting.

We were camped last night at Hadrian’s Wall. We had been staying in the Scottish Borders the previous couple of nights and had experienced the winds on New Years Eve. When we arrived at the site last night there was not a breath of fresh air so preparing for a blow was far from my mind. A chance discussion with a fellow camper in the toilet block at about 9pm drew my attention to the forecast, and at that stage the wind was starting to pick up. Had just enough time to move the Cali 90degrees on the site to get the back towards the wind before it really starting blowing hard. It peaked at about 2pm I think and then slowly eased off.

The kids sleept up the top - both said they woke a few times but otherwise it didn’t seem to bother them. My wife and I were downstairs awake and ready waiting to respond to a lost or bent roof. I stuck my head up the top at one stage and was surprised at how much noisier it was than down stairs. While there was a fair bit of rocking, I was surprised at how stable the vehicle was considering the conditions. Someone this morning mentioned that the winds got to 62mph but I am unsure if that was an observation or forecast. It has certainly increased my confidence in the vehicles ability to cope with poor conditions provided you take the right precautions.

On the drive home down the M6 we saw 2 trucks blown over and several other car accidents.

This might sound bloody stupid but ....

I had 10 days in Scotland where I had to live through 8 weather warnings, 3 for rain and snow, 5 for wind. The Cali really does rock and roll to the point that I got quite neurotic. No where near trees was a must.

No where near high waves, but nature had the last laugh on me, as I describe later. Water not the problem, rocks thrown around is.

I don't want buildings falling on me, a chimney stack across the roof of my Cali would do no good at all for my moods, so old buildings, falling down barns, I try to avoid.

By the time I got to Ullapool on my windy voyage, via fort william flooded and Lochalsh bridge closed, my nerves were in shreds and I was resorting to daft things such as keeping all tanks topped up, water and fuel, to keep a low centre of gravity in the vehicle.

Ullapool was ok though, the severe amber wind warning was for Shetland.

12 miles North of Ullapool the coast faces the Summer isles. A very nice camp site on the coast, the Am Furan pub over the road, Catriona a lovely hostess. I parked up on the coast, went for Haddock and chips in the bar, Half way through my delicious dinner Catriona came out to say we were in the teeth of a revised storm forecast.:shocked She went with me back to the camp site to open a storage space where I would be more sheltered.

I was so glad she did. 97 mph winds recorded in Stornaway that night. The Cali did not blow over. Fortunately the modern building I sheltered beside did not fall over. The wind and waves threw lots of rocks on to the land but fortunately I had moved. :shocked

Last edited:
I was wondering how those who were out last night got on in the winds. We were in Calais at Eurotunnel. Arrived late when the strong winds had started. Didn’t put roof up as was a bit worried. We still had a night of rocking and rolling. It got to 40 mph. Was warm and cosy. Archie was very quiet, not sure he enjoyed the feeling of being on a boat. I was slightly worried too if I’m honest. Driving was a bit unnerving too both traveling through France and coming up the M6 today where I passed two bad accidents.

Thought it would be good to hear the best advice when driving/camping in a gale from the seasoned travellers

Thanks
Not fun driving in windy conditions at best.
Especially if driving a 16.5 long & 4.7 tall truck as I do. Got blown around a lot yesterday, today not so bad.
In short avoid if possible is best !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

We were camped last night at Hadrian’s Wall. We had been staying in the Scottish Borders the previous couple of nights and had experienced the winds on New Years Eve. When we arrived at the site last night there was not a breath of fresh air so preparing for a blow was far from my mind. A chance discussion with a fellow camper in the toilet block at about 9pm drew my attention to the forecast, and at that stage the wind was starting to pick up. Had just enough time to move the Cali 90degrees on the site to get the back towards the wind before it really starting blowing hard. It peaked at about 2pm I think and then slowly eased off.

The kids sleept up the top - both said they woke a few times but otherwise it didn’t seem to bother them. My wife and I were downstairs awake and ready waiting to respond to a lost or bent roof. I stuck my head up the top at one stage and was surprised at how much noisier it was than down stairs. While there was a fair bit of rocking, I was surprised at how stable the vehicle was considering the conditions. Someone this morning mentioned that the winds got to 62mph but I am unsure if that was an observation or forecast. It has certainly increased my confidence in the vehicles ability to cope with poor conditions provided you take the right precautions.

On the drive home down the M6 we saw 2 trucks blown over and several other car accidents.

Reading your post about sticking your head up in the roof in the night made me smile..I did exactly the same in the lakes New Year’s Eve,,
I was amazed how our son was still asleep it was like a freight train passing by.. being parked near trees (no choice)made the wind sound much worse I think?
the van did rock slightly,but we had the back to the wind so it was all good .the van seemed to cope no problem at all

Last edited:
how is the weather in London? .... arrival tomorrow and then fly to Singapore .. unfortunately mon with the Cali ...

how is the weather in London? .... arrival tomorrow and then fly to Singapore .. unfortunately mon with the Cali ...

Yes, the Cali is a bit big for hand luggage ...

The weather is very unstable, wind, rain and some sun, quite cold.

Back