Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shallow depth Bike Rack

Jim Haviland

Jim Haviland

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Due to the sort length of my drive I have to park tight to the house. Would like to get a bike rack if it was shallow enough - anyone know if anything suitable is available for a T6.

49E3C194-24FE-41CF-9717-588D0EEB7E37.jpeg

If you dont have a towbar then the Thule raceway is an option, we have the 2 bike version, the top of the bikes is just above the roofline, but much lower than the Cali racks.
I wouldn't like to say if its narrow enough to stay on in the gap you have, but its quick and easy for one person to fit and remove, also the Thule folds for easier storage

There are several posts about them including one by Skinnee D which has some pictures of this rack fitted.
The Raceway is adjustable to fit many vehicles, so we can fit it to our Yaris as well

If you dont have a towbar then the Thule raceway is an option, we have the 2 bike version, the top of the bikes is just above the roofline, but much lower than the Cali racks.
I wouldn't like to say if its narrow enough to stay on in the gap you have, but its quick and easy for one person to fit and remove, also the Thule folds for easier storage

There are several posts about them including one by Skinnee D which has some pictures of this rack fitted.
The Raceway is adjustable to fit many vehicles, so we can fit it to our Yaris as well

Think you have solved my problem - many thanks.

Here's a fairly side-on photo of a two-bike Thule Raceway fitted to our T6. With the arms folded down out of the way it scarcely overhangs the rear bumper.
P1010228.jpg

I have it fitted high on the tailgate so it doesn't obscure the high brake-light, and it doesn't interfere with the rear wiper operation either. The base sits across the level of the VW badge. I've run my lower cables to the tailgate edges above the light clusters, similar to how the VW rack fits, because if I ran them straight down to the lower tailgate edge then they were constantly in the view of the reversing camera.

Here's a fairly side-on photo of a two-bike Thule Raceway fitted to our T6. With the arms folded down out of the way it scarcely overhangs the rear bumper.
P1010228.jpg

I have it fitted high on the tailgate so it doesn't obscure the high brake-light, and it doesn't interfere with the rear wiper operation either. The base sits across the level of the VW badge. I've run my lower cables to the tailgate edges above the light clusters, similar to how the VW rack fits, because if I ran them straight down to the lower tailgate edge then they were constantly in the view of the reversing camera.

When you have bikes on the rack, does it obscure the number plate and rear lights at all ?

Put the bike rack on and park the car the other way round … :)

It probably depends a bit on your bikes' geometry.
P1010109.jpg

This shows a man's mountain bike behind a ladies hybrid with a more step-through frame. The sloping crossbars tend to make the front wheels hang quite low, so we travel with the front wheels in the van to ensure the lights and plate are completely clear.

P1010109.jpg

This shows a man's mountain bike behind a ladies hybrid with a more step-through frame. The sloping crossbars tend to make the front wheels hang quite low, so we travel with the front wheels in the van to ensure the lights and plate are completely clear.

Looks like a good solution - thanks for sharing.

Due to the sort length of my drive I have to park tight to the house. Would like to get a bike rack if it was shallow enough - anyone know if anything suitable is available for a T6.

View attachment 40996
I have a Fiamma T6 bike rack, it could work for you, I will measure the back projections for you if interested.Bike rack.jpg

Yes please - would be very grateful
Complicated but here goes.
The double horizontal tubes lower surface are 66.2 cms up from bumper top surface.
The outer edge of these tubes is 13.7 cm measured in a horizontal distance from the hatch surface .
The most projecting parts are the rubber covered nuts holding the bike support rails 26.5 cm out at 97 cm from bumper top surface.
vw-t5-vw-t6carry-bike-vw-t5.jpg

Complicated but here goes.
The double horizontal tubes lower surface are 66.2 cms up from bumper top surface.
The outer edge of these tubes is 13.7 cm measured in a horizontal distance from the hatch surface .
The most projecting parts are the rubber covered nuts holding the bike support rails 26.5 cm out at 97 cm from bumper top surface.
vw-t5-vw-t6carry-bike-vw-t5.jpg
That brilliant - many thanks for taking the time to do that.

Assuming that you already have a towbar fitted and looking at your bumper to wall gap does the towball hit the wall? It may be necessary to take both the bike rack and tow ball off to park if going for that option. that making the above tailgate mounting even more practical.
20171110_111854[1].jpg

Assuming that you already have a towbar fitted and looking at your bumper to wall gap does the towball hit the wall? It may be necessary to take both the bike rack and tow ball off to park if going for that option. that making the above tailgate mounting even more practical.
View attachment 41023

Very good point - no tow bar yet.

There is also the T5 style rack for the T6 (Kylie) :cool:

P1010109.jpg

Hi MattC, I'm looking to buy a rack for my 2013 T5 and really like the reviews on the Thule Raceway. When I went to the Thule site, they didn't have this one as a choice for a 2013 California. Did you find somewhere that said it was ok for a T6? I imagine the mounting to a T5 has got to be similar to the T6, any thoughts? Thanks Laurent

Back