Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sheets!

CaliforniaVix

CaliforniaVix

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Morning everyone. First overnight trip booked for tmrw night and very excitedly getting things together for this.

Regarding sheets? Does a single duvet cover fit over the mattress downstairs to make a sheet?
We’ve ordered the sea to summit topper for downstairs and we’re thinking it might be best to just slide it into a duvet cover?

Any help or advice for top or bottom beds very gratefully received.

We have an IKEA Talgje mattress topper on top of our comfort mattress. Conveniently both it and single IKEA duvet covers are exactly 150cm by 200cm. So we use a duvet cover.

While my wife likes sheets washed every week, I’m happy to go for a year or longer, as I did at university, without clean sheets. However, using a duvet cover over a Talgje topper means I (and it is invariably me who has to change the sheets, even though I think they are good for at least another 51 weeks) can just turn the mattress topper to keep a happy wife for one more week.

We have an IKEA Talgje mattress topper on top of our comfort mattress. Conveniently both it and single IKEA duvet covers are exactly 150cm by 200cm. So we use a duvet cover.

While my wife likes sheets washed every week, I’m happy to go for a year or longer, as I did at university, without clean sheets. However, using a duvet cover over a Talgje topper means I (and it is invariably me who has to change the sheets, even though I think they are good for at least another 51 weeks) can just turn the mattress topper to keep a happy wife for one more week.
That’s very ecologically minded!

Morning everyone. First overnight trip booked for tmrw night and very excitedly getting things together for this.

Regarding sheets? Does a single duvet cover fit over the mattress downstairs to make a sheet?
We’ve ordered the sea to summit topper for downstairs and we’re thinking it might be best to just slide it into a duvet cover?

We have sea to summit for downstairs (love it!) started off with duvet cover but it was a faff - much easier to use small double fitted sheets, available from Dunelm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi we are also new to campervan life having just picked up our new ocean 2 weeks ago
But we have taken our experience from 40 years caravanning putting up the bed every night got to make it simple
The vw topper mattress is to long for a double duvet cover and too narrow , so my wife cut the cover in width to make it fit then added the bit she cut off to make it longer , it now fits like a glove
The tighter the fit over the topper the better ( does not bag up when flopping it out )

Sorry to jump on your thread.

Does this mean single fitted sheets don't fit the comfort mattress in the Cali? Were hiring one in a couple of weeks time and bought 2 single fitted sheets, 2 single duvets (different weights) and 2 single duvet covers from Dunelm and assumed they would fit.

Sorry to jump on your thread.

Does this mean single fitted sheets don't fit the comfort mattress in the Cali? Were hiring one in a couple of weeks time and bought 2 single fitted sheets, 2 single duvets (different weights) and 2 single duvet covers from Dunelm and assumed they would fit.
A single fitted sheet will be about 30cm too narrow. However, a single duvet cover should slip over the lower mattress and maybe the upper one. The upper one has a separate mattress section at the far end though. Note that I have not tried this myself but small doubles definitely work.

A single fitted sheet will be about 30cm too narrow. However, a single duvet cover should slip over the lower mattress and maybe the upper one. The upper one has a separate mattress section at the far end though. Note that I have not tried this myself but small doubles definitely work.
I guess I should have done a bit more homework rather than guessing.

Thanks for letting me know.:thumb

Like others, use the Dunelm 4ft sheets, fit both top and bottom ok.

We found the Dunelm small doubles fitted perfectly, we’ve left it on the pop up mattress in situ.

But my…. That lower bed needs something else (our topper didn’t arrive in time) it was hard as a rock!

We bought some double sheets from dunelm and then, using a machine, sewed them into fitted sheets. One for each mattress, above and below.

A rock solid solution that allows the sheets to stay on all year around. Apart from waking.

We found the Dunelm small doubles fitted perfectly, we’ve left it on the pop up mattress in situ.

But my…. That lower bed needs something else (our topper didn’t arrive in time) it was hard as a rock!
Yes “comfort” it is not! I’m looking replacing it with the outdoor revolution self inflating mattress, wish I hadn’t spent the £350 on the VW one :headbang

Our hire van comes with the comfort mattress, is it this that you’re referring to as uncomfortable?

Some will say the VW Comfort mattress is awful and needs a further topper, but others (like me) will say it is very comfortable.

If you like a fairly firm mattress at home you will be more likely to get on with the Comfort one.

Some will say the VW Comfort mattress is awful and needs a further topper, but others (like me) will say it is very comfortable.

If you like a fairly firm mattress at home you will be more likely to get on with the Comfort one.
Again this is something that I believe changed from T6 to T6.1
Also need to bare in mind that a 3 seat beach bench has a different mattress to the 2 seat bench
The T6.1 2 seat (un)comfort mattress is akin to a sheet of plywood.
We have kept the Brandrup mattress from our first van in preference to the current VW offering.

Our hire van comes with the comfort mattress, is it this that you’re referring to as uncomfortable?
To be fair, the bottom bed and top bed aren’t that bad. We’d hired vans twice and slept on the standard mattresses without too much of an issue. Certainly ok for 1 to 2 weeks camping. We then bought a pair of pump up air mattresses for the awning - big mistake! Squeaked and creaked all night, and finally went comically out of shape. Then a self inflating mattress, which we still use in the awning. Finally for this year, we invested in a pair of small single Duvalay toppers, which are versatile (fit either bed or the awning, and don’t take too much space). But as I say, for a hired van, you should be okay with the standard kit.

Again this is something that I believe changed from T6 to T6.1
Also need to bare in mind that a 3 seat beach bench has a different mattress to the 2 seat bench
The T6.1 2 seat (un)comfort mattress is akin to a sheet of plywood.
We have kept the Brandrup mattress from our first van in preference to the current VW offering.
We have the Beach with the Ocean style bench. We are fine with the T6 Comfort mattress. Not sure if the 6.1 mattress is different, but I can imagine it’s pretty similar being the same thickness.

Yes, we found it too hard. We like a medium/soft mattress. But we have the sea to summit one now so testing that out this weekend!

Yes, we found it too hard. We like a medium/soft mattress. But we have the sea to summit one now so testing that out this weekend!
We have the S2S and love it, it's mainly used in the pop top (where it lives) and occasionally downstairs. You can adjust how much air you put in to soften/firm it up so hopefully it’ll work out for you too.

As we usually only sleep downstairs when stealth camping or in extreme weather I keep an inflatable mattress for occasional use downstairs. I use an exped double (aimed at the lightweight back packing market) which is comfortable, quiet and packs down tiny - a fraction of the size of the S2S self inflating mat. They aren’t cheap compared to the inflatables typically aimed at car campers but still a bargain compared to the S2S and much more space efficient. It’s a combination that works really well for us.