Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shelter / Gazebo recommendations (instead of an awning)

Ross MacLeod

Ross MacLeod

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi - Apologies in advance, I'm sure this has been asked before, however I'm looking to buy a robust Gazebo / Shelter instead of a driveaway awning (reason being that they seem to have smaller pack sizes and because it could also be used for 'non-California' purposes). Appreciate some sites may try to charge extra, but I'm hoping that's rare (or should this be a concern that needs to be considered more carefully?)

As it would be used as a pseudo-awning it needs to be enclosed around the 4 sides/bottom (as well as an extra living room we would use it for the dog at night and to store stuff - bikes/chairs - hence the need to enclose).

Also looking for one that can stand up to the elements as we spend a lot of time in the Outer Hebrides!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, appreciate your help.

Hate awnings of any description.
However I’d do have a Quechua Base Seconds which isn’t to bad to erect and pack...
About 3 mins to erect and 3 mins to take down.

However I’d do have a Quechua Base Seconds which isn’t to bad to erect and pack...
Thank you - that sounds perfect, looks like it’s either out of stock or discontinued but will keep an eye out.

Cinch do an almost identical pop up. About £240 if memory serves me right.

Last edited:
We have the above shelter, which we take everywhere with us to use as base camp when on a campsite, fantastic bit of kit. We find it much better than a drive away awning , which we also have but only use now if our family are joining us.
That’s good to hear, thanks. I’ve just ordered it so fingers crossed it does the job, sounds like it will.

Agree with Soulstyledevon. Awnings, blegh! :) Just feel they make it harder to easily and quickly pick up and leave. Prefer to keep the work before being able to leave/being able to sit down with a drink, to a minimum. But to each his own. Different people, different styles of camping/campervanning. But the Quechua Base Seconds came closest to something fast and easy. Take it out and it unfolds itself. 4 pegs (if windy) and you're done. They arent made anymore, but you can sometimes find them second hand. If you do, make sure you check it well before buying it. Check if it's clean (if you intent to have people sleep in it, not just your dog). As there seem to be 2 specific target audiences for these tents. Us as campervanners and people who go to dog shows and use the tents as a shelter for dogs. The inner tent is sold seperately. We ditched the quechua too in the end though. Keep the bikes outside, pack all other stuff under the sliding door table in case of rain and that's it.

Agree @ThomasHJ
We prefer, the light the better these days. Just wind the awning out from the van and sit under that rain or shine and store table and chairs under the van when we go out or at night.
Bought a couple of fluffy blankets in Switzerland, which we wrap ourselves in, as we sit out during the evenings.
Irish coffees to keep us warm ;)

Camping :cheers

Back