Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shitbox - is this the answer

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I know we are all keen on camping innovation and new ideas ..... has anyone tried the shitbox - an enviro friendly alternative to the more sensible options -

Nowhere to hang the toilet roll

Nowhere to hang the toilet roll

Like on a French squatting toilet, always hang a roll with a cord around your neck.

As for this box: it's not recommended for rainy festivals like Glastonbury. When the carton gets soaked, you elegantly descent from first floor to ground floor.

Marc.

We've used one in the van. It's ok, but it is just a cardboard box, so won't stand up to much. We've moved on to a contraption off, I think Amazon, that is essentially a folding tubular metal stool (sorry) with a little toilet seat on top. It came with some plastic bags that we'll run out of at some point and have to think about what to use - old carrier bags or try to find some biodegradable alternative. It's something that we only would use when needs must and for that it's absolutely fine. It cost nowt and folds up to nothing. A better bet I feel than a shitbox, much as I admire the name.

Porta-Potti.......still the closest to the real thing....
Oh yeah some say a P-P gives smells.....sh@tting in a plastic bag not?

When i worked in the construction bussines as a carpenter 15 years ago we used empty cement bags and karton boxes when there was no toilet in houses under construction....this box reminds me on those days...
Guess i have ugraded now i got a P-P in my Cali:D

1. think there would be a terrible accident by the time I put it up.
2. think it may collapse if I sat on it.

£55k on a new Cali and end up sh*tting in a cardboard box. Living the dream!

If you buy a Porta Potti you get two toilets, the one inside the box and the box itself

Buy a case of wine and get a free toilet ....

Buy anything off Amazon and get a free toilet ... (have you noticed even small items come in a large box, with a load of brown toilet paper as packing)

Widely used in Norway by the Marines when training in the early 90s

Box is 4 times the size with a heavy duty black bag in. You can not sit on the box!!! (Don't forget your ski poles)

Good to hone your skills on skis as the box is normally located at the bottom of a steep bank. Avoidance is critical even with zero ability

I HAVE a shitbox and it's been extremely useful as it folds flat to travel. It will take the weight of a 16 stone bloke (yes it's been tried!) and I'm not sure how I'll manage without it but it just won't fit in the space between the end of the bed and the front seat. I'll have to measure up and see if there's anything available that will.

Porta-Potti.......still the closest to the real thing....
Oh yeah some say a P-P gives smells.....sh@tting in a plastic bag not?

When i worked in the construction bussines as a carpenter 15 years ago we used empty cement bags and karton boxes when there was no toilet in houses under construction....this box reminds me on those days...
Guess i have ugraded now i got a P-P in my Cali:D
I agree with you.

A Porta-Potti hides away discretely in the cupboard and isn't needed at all on normal campsites, but having it there opens up lots more opportunities for overnight stops. Last night we were at a France Passion place at the premises of a Chablis producer. Lovely people, great wine tasting. Otherwise no facilities at all other than the free parking space. At other times we've had similar stops in Champagne, Alsace, Sancerre etc. Tonight we are at the fabulously placed Aire just below the ramparts in Laon. 6 Spaces provided by the town for no charge, but you have to provide your own facilities. Earlier this year we enjoyed free-camping in the Hebrides. None of that would have been possible without a loo. A cardboard unit would be fine for emergency use, but you wouldn't then want to travel around with the contents for long!

We always sleep upstairs, so there's at least a degree of privacy and the seals on our P-P seem good enough to prevent any lingering niffs. Beware of the bottles of sanitising fluid though. Not all of them have perfect seals and I wonder if the P-P is sometimes mistakenly blamed for disinfectant smells from elsewhere. I now transfer the spare sanitising fluid to a container that can be sealed 100%.

PS I love the summer / winter suggestions elsewhere on this thread. Brilliant!

I HAVE a shitbox and it's been extremely useful as it folds flat to travel. It will take the weight of a 16 stone bloke (yes it's been tried!) and I'm not sure how I'll manage without it but it just won't fit in the space between the end of the bed and the front seat. I'll have to measure up and see if there's anything available that will.

I can agree on the small pack away space , could be it can hold a elefant.....
....but what on earth do you do with a plastic bag full of sh@t while driving arround?
A Porta-Potti is the closest to the real thing , hygienic , safe ( leaks and spills) don't want even think about that plastic bag getting ripped inside the Cali , and (so i think) better for the invirement if you use green produckts and empty only in the special waste points . A plastic bag ....do you guys empty it also at the waste point?

A plastic bag ....do you guys empty it also at the waste point?

Depends what facilities are available - sometimes it all goes in the landfill bins, sometimes emptied into the site toilets - I've only ever used it for emergencies, it's insurance really! Though now that I have to find something smaller, I've discovered that you can get bags with some sort of chemical in which makes everything solid. probably as well I won't be using those - I'd have to research the stuff first.

Edit - I ought to add that most of my camping has been done at bike (motorcycle) rallies, which mainly consist of a field, with possibly a couple of portable toilets, and plastic bags for the rubbish!

Back