Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shopping - New Ocean due in March

Cjw

Cjw

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I have my Ocean DSG 4Motion due in March (being built as we speak I hope). So I am ramping up on the Amazon purchases to fill the van!
So far:
  • 25m hook up cable + 3 pin adapter + reel
  • Leasurewize plates, cups, bowls, mugs
  • VW enamel mugs
  • Non slip shelf liner
  • Levelling ramps
  • Low wattage toaster
  • Collapsible kettle
  • Collapsible bowl, strainer, wash up bowl
  • Got sleeping bags already ( Duvaley are so expensive and I am slightly put off by lining Dragon pockets)
  • VW tea towel!!!! FFS
  • Fridge thermometer
  • Tefal Ingenio pots, pans
  • Collapsible storage boxes
Still to get cutlery....
Too much?
Any other suggestions for a complete newby?

I have my Ocean DSG 4Motion due in March (being built as we speak I hope). So I am ramping up on the Amazon purchases to fill the van!
So far:
  • VW enamel mugs
  • Non slip shelf liner
  • Levelling ramps
  • Low wattage toaster
  • Collapsible kettle
  • Got sleeping bags already ( Duvaley are so expensive and I am slightly put off by lining Dragon pockets)
  • VW tea towel!!!! FFS
  • Fridge thermometer
Still to get cutlery....
Too much?
Hi & welcome. Three to kick off with:-
Scour the for sale to pick up a 907 cylinder.
Bellows Bungy
Sparesafe

Mike

Reactions: Cjw
+1 for bungee and sparesafe, both essential. You also need to treat yourself to some Brandrup goodies, every Cali needs a bit of Brandrup :)

Bellows Bungy
Sparesafe
Mike

Thanks!
Yes, going to try to get a cheap 907 locally I think
Dealer promised a bellows bungee thrown in.....we'll see...
I've got the 18" wheels, so no spare

+1 for bungee and sparesafe, both essential. You also need to treat yourself to some Brandrup goodies, every Cali needs a bit of Brandrup :)

Was thinking of brandrup back of seat organisers, but I know it's hard enough to swivel the seats without them. So, I don't see how you swivel the seats with them.

So far:
  • VW enamel mugs
  • Non slip shelf liner
  • Levelling ramps
  • Low wattage toaster
  • Collapsible kettle
  • VW tea towel!!!! FFS
  • Fridge thermometer
Still to get cutlery....
Too much?
Hello Cjw,
Congrats on the new van.
The general advice on this forum is not to go too mad buying stuff straight away. Just take as much of what you think you are going to need from home. Once you have worked out what you do actually need, then go and buy it. Lots of owners, including me, have learned the hard way. I have got quite a few "essential" items sitting in my garage which now very rarely get an outing in our Cali.

Happy adventures.

Seems you summed up some of the most essentials , afther your thirth trip the list will be twice that long .
Don't worry , you'l do fine , some things you to take in feature of the trip/place you head to. Essentials are staying in the Cali , additional stuff rotates between Cali and garage storage.

Thermal external windscreen i belive needs added to your list;)

Exiting days to come...

Was thinking of brandrup back of seat organisers, but I know it's hard enough to swivel the seats without them. So, I don't see how you swivel the seats with them.
We have the drivers seat organiser, very useful storage. There are three of us so we don't turn the drivers seat often but did it at the weekend and it's not a problem with the organiser fitted, just a case of practise.

I have two lightweight, 15 litre, fold down to nothing, handbags/day bags on an adjustable strap.

Great for hooking over the front seat headrests = two instant seat back organisers that can also be used as a day bag or just scrunched up in the back of the cupboard when not needed.

:Depressed
I have two lightweight, 15 litre, fold down to nothing, handbags/day bags on an adjustable strap.

Great for hooking over the front seat headrests = two instant seat back organisers that can also be used as a day bag or just scrunched up in the back of the cupboard when not needed.
Mrs B also has a multitude of lightweight, bright orange, fold down to nothing bags, supplied by a well known supermarket chain. She can produce them from thin air, in an instant like a magician doing a card trick.
However I don't recommend them for storage as they can be relied upon to roam around the Cali's floor discharging their contents at the first hint of a slight bend. They also have a habit of getting themselves caught round anything that gets in their way including the hand brake lever and my feet when I am alighting.
So in conclusion, if you want to live a matrimonially harmonious, carefree, go anywhere at the drop of a hat Cali lifestyle, don't shop at Sainsbury's.:Depressed

Last edited:
We are in a similar situation, but with a Beach. Our first trip is pencilled in for 3-6 March. We have all the tent camping equipment necessary for 2 adults and 2 pre-schoolers, but need to work out what campervan specific gear we might need.
  • 1x25m + 1x10m hookup cable
  • 1000 - 1200w kettle
  • cali topper (still debating internal or external)
  • folding step
  • we have a driveaway awning, but need a figure of eight and kador strip
  • we plan to sleep the two boys across the lowered bench seat. We have one 70x150cm cot mattress and if it fits, we need another, otherwise we need a rethink
  • upstairs fitted sheet.
I cannot think what else we might need for our first camping trip that we haven't already got, but am open to suggestions.

Don't get a 25m cable, I did and I regret it, it's super heavy and i've never needed one that long.

Bellows Bungy
Sparesafe

Mike
We picked up our empty 907 cylinder from Towsure - £12.95.

Consider a Brandrup Isotop, expensive but very efficient to keep te cold out in (and the heating in) in wintery conditions. Makes use of the Cali more versatile.

Hi cjw,

Our new Cali was built in week few and we got it yesterday.

Wife a bit of a cover addict could suggest a cotton table runner to stop your glass getting marked by toasters/kettles etc.

IMG_1498.JPG

Back