Short stopover near Dover

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am looking for a place in the nearby of the Ferryterminal Dover to spend a few hours/or night before/afther taking the ferry.
We are coming over the 19th april comming , plan is to arrive thursday late afthernoon and park up somewhere to spent the night to head of early for the drive to the meet @Gloucestercher

We used the Dover Patrol Memorial parking the past a few times but last time out we noticed a " no overnight parking for campers " sign.

I did come up to this
https://m.campercontact.com/en/ver-...nd/dover/28190/esplanade-dover?sitecode=28190
Can anyone confirm this is a legal place to spent the night?

Might look for a campsite if no camperspot turns up in the nearby , but as we be arriving late afthernoon and want to head of early to avoid traffic arround London i prefer a free/camperspot.

Love to hear some tips...;)

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Pub with campsite not too far from Dover not used but on my list to tryhttp://www.thedruminn.com/

I've been recommended this place by a few people and planning to try it at the end of May.

Searchforsites is showing your suggestion as being a good place and reviews are reasonable. There's a couple of others in the vicinity too. On the way here I'd suggest pushing on for an hour or so and get a pub stop or campsite.

type in campervan overnight parking in Facebook - its a great resource and lots of Dover options

type in campervan overnight parking in Facebook - its a great resource and lots of Dover options

Thankx for the tip , but facebook is the last thing in the world i'm signing in for ...sorry.

Stop 24 the first services you will come to on the m20
Stayed here many times

Stop 24 the first services you will come to on the m20
Stayed here many times

Thankx , but i rather use @CALI FATE his tip and sing up on facebook than spent the night next to the motorway.

Both good efforts guys , but looking for something else;)

Nice try @westfalia , almost fooled me there....;)
Searching campsites will not be a problem , it's the fact i don't want to be on campsites every night and try to use free aires witch are sometimes much nicer then parking next to a caravan .
Nothing to do with not want to pay for campsites but i simple like to use those aires (mostly in France )!

I can also stay the night on this side of the channel in France close to Dunquerke and take a early ferry to Dover to drive straight to destination....

Last edited:
i simple like to use those aires (mostly in France )!

I can also stay the night on this side of the channel in France close to Dunquerke and take a early ferry to Dover to drive straight to destination....
Taking an early ferry might be a good idea, i don´t think there are many of the french style aires in Kent.
You could, once arrived in Kent, drive through the countryside and maybe find a nice pub
in a sleepy village and stay there.

Or the promenade at Hythe is a nice quiet place towards evening time, quite a few big whites park
up there. No facilities though, but it´s a nice area.

Hello Wim,
It's good to hear that you are coming.

You could try the newish Aire at Canterbury. It''s located off the New Dover Road adjacent to the Park and Ride bus service into Canterbury. I have never used it as I live nearby so can't tell you that much about it other than it's very handy if you fancy visiting Canterbury. The Park and Ride runs every few minutes right into the centre. You can google this Aire. I would have included a link but I am typing this on my wife's mobile and it's not playing nicely.
Unfortunately we will already have left by the time you arrive in the UK otherwise you could have stayed with us. We normally leave for these weekend meets early on the Wednesday after our grandparent duties on Mondays and Tuesdays and treat ourselves to a couple of nights in a posh B & B on the way down.
Best wishes.

Booked the ferry today and we will stay in France overnight and take the 6am ferry so one the tips that came/come in will probally be used on the return trip .
Keep 'm comming.
Thankx !

You might want to give Princess Parade (Hythe sea front) a miss as parking meters have now been installed and go live at Easter.
No doubt the no overnight parking will be enforced too. Blame the greedy Shepway council. It’s been free for at least the last 30 years!