Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Short term insurance ?

Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I want to let my son borrow my California for a couple of weeks -as and when we get the through the current health restrictions.
I am interested in getting short term insurance for this rather than putting him on my policy on an annual basis.
Has anyone done this and what sort of price did your insurance company want? Appreciate it’s dependent on the driving status of the additional driver being insured.

It might prove more economically viable to simply add your son to the main policy.

But if he is under 25 then you are unlikely to get any insurance.

And also depending on his age, he might have a higher excess imposed on him in the event of an accident.

Thanks
He‘s 37 with a clean licence. My current insurer wants £500 more to put him on for the year. Perhaps he could probably hire one with insurance for less than this for a couple of weeks.? It’s a rip off.

Thanks
He‘s 37 with a clean licence. My current insurer wants £500 more to put him on for the year. Perhaps he could probably hire one with insurance for less than this for a couple of weeks.? It’s a rip off.
I think you should be changing your insurer! Do name and shame.

We had a visitor from Australia staying with us for a month - NFU Mutual charged about 20 quid to add on for that period for a VW Golf. Our Cali is also insured with them at a broadly similar annual premium so wouldn’t expect to pay much more per month

Thanks
We do California Hire but they command a price higher than £250 per week.

Thanks
Just add him for said amount of weeks. We used to do this with daughter returning from uni at Xmas for a fortnight. Depends but might only be £50 or so

We had a visitor from Australia staying with us for a month - NFU Mutual charged about 20 quid to add on for that period for a VW Golf. Our Cali is also insured with them at a broadly similar annual premium so wouldn’t expect to pay much more per month
Would you mind telling me how you paid to insure thw Cali through NFU mutual. The reason i ask is that a friend in New Zealand came over in February and borrowed our Cali and was charged £350 approx to insure we went to New Zealand and borrowed theirs and no charge to me. Did your visitor have a uk licence? What address did he have to give?
We have both returned to our respective countries because of the virus

Hi @jts46, we already had a 2 car multi policy with NFU Mutual Direct (not through local NFU Mutual office) and when the Cali was bought a year ago they were by far the most competitive to just add it to the existing policy.
For insurance on the Golf it was a family friend and NFU wanted details of their occupation and address in Australia, Australian driving license and details of how they would be using the car in the UK eg social, domestic and pleasure with no business travel or commuting.
Hope that helps,
Mike

Just changed to Comfort for my renewal last week and mentioned my kids. They would charge £40 for 7 days plus a £20 admin fee for adding my 27 year old daughter. Works out a lot cheaper than adding her for the year.
Last year the Caravan and Camping Club added her for the year for a £20 admin charge but then when it came to renewal it was over £150 for her for the year. Changed to Comfort as I now need business use and took daughter off.
Hope that helps.

Back