Should I have 1 or 2 heaters?

Bigted

Bigted

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi all,

Help needed by you kind folks! I have a 15 plate beach with a parking heater (vents in B pillar). Should it also have the aux coolant heater fitted? I'm not sure mine has as only one sticker on the drivers door (Eberspacher D3 plus). Can a fellow beach owner have a quick peek at the stickers on the drivers door and see if they have 1 or 2?

From the price list it says 2 heaters are fitted if you have a parking heater

"Programmable parking heater with auxiliary heater – auxiliary heater combined with a supplementary air heater. – The combination of two heaters enables the vehicle air to be fully heated when parked and supports the engine to heat the vehiclein cold conditions when driving. The supplementary air heater is controlled via the display unit in the roof (switch-on time,day of the week, temperature)"

Should I have a wabasto coolant heater?

Most confused!!

I thought all T5 diesels had the Webasto coolant heater. This is fitted on the Passenger side with exhaust around the front Passenger wheel area. Automatic, starting if ambient temperature is 5c or less, when the engine is started, to speed up engine warming.

I don't have a wabasto sticker Welshgas

+ it's an option on the price list so I'm guessing not standard

Last edited:
I've got two stickers. Eberspacher which is the parking heater and webasto which is the coolant heater. The coolant heater came on for the first time last week when the temperature dropped to 3.5 degrees. This was automatic. I don't remember the webasto being an option, the eberspacher definitely was. I will try and find my invoice.

Thanks Rich20 - looks like I might have a 'special' van. I'll have to go to dealer to get them to physically check if the coolant heater is fitted. If you could confirm the exact heating option you had fitted that would be helpful as I may need to persuade VW of the mistake if there is one!

Anyone one else with a beach and 2 stickers?

I thought it was standard, but maybe not.
A possibility is that it is standard if you have BlueMotion or Climatronic fitted, or only on the 180 engine!
So which do you have?

The way our weather is going we may not need the coolant heater this year.

Hope not, anyway! :)

My 2012 Beach does have the coolant heater and the Webasto sticker on the door pillar. The Webasto coolant heater is the "Thermo top C" which is printed on the sticker.
I also have the climatronic AC so maybe thats why the coolant heater was fitted.
Without taking off some of the plastic covers under the van its difficult to physically see the heater. The temp needs to be 4 deg or less for it to activate I believe.

Mine has climatronic 3 zone AC also Owen so I don't think that makes them fit it.

I thought it was standard, but maybe not.
A possibility is that it is standard if you have BlueMotion or Climatronic fitted, or only on the 180 engine!
So which do you have?
I believe it is a standard fit on the SE just not the beach

You should have it, maybe your Cali lost the sticker. Mine one is also a 2015 Beach and has those stickers:

IMG_20150510_104654212.jpg

The webasto is silent when operating. I only knew it was on from the "newness" smell and the temperature gauge seemed to creep up a bit quicker than usual.

My 2012 Beach does have the coolant heater and the Webasto sticker on the door pillar. The Webasto coolant heater is the "Thermo top C" which is printed on the sticker.
I also have the climatronic AC so maybe thats why the coolant heater was fitted.
Without taking off some of the plastic covers under the van its difficult to physically see the heater. The temp needs to be 4 deg or less for it to activate I believe.
Hi Owen - do you have the air heater as well?

Yes I do have an air heater but it was retrofitted. In my case a Webasto Airtop 2000. Because of the retrofit I know exactly where the coolant heater is. The company that fitted the air heater routed its fuel line over the coolant heater exhaust. Result that the fuel line melted the first time the temp dropped below 4. Sorted out now but won't be going back to that company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2012 Beach was also supplied with the Webasto C Top same as Owen. If that helps

If you have doubts about the original fittings on your van try inputting the codes from the sticker on the right front seat frame (or in the front of the service book) into this website http://www.igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx
That should give you a list of all the production options fitted. Your dealer should also be able to give you a printout showing similar information for your particular chassis number.

Rod

If you have doubts about the original fittings on your van try inputting the codes from the sticker on the right front seat frame (or in the front of the service book) into this website http://www.igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx
That should give you a list of all the production options fitted. Your dealer should also be able to give you a printout showing similar information for your particular chassis number.

Rod
Hi Rod,

Did that some time ago but no mention of any heaters in the codes

Then look underneath from the right side below your sliding door into the centre of the chassis area below the left front seat, There I think you should see the exhaust from the coolant heater poking out of the plastic shields towards the engine exhaust pipe. The air heater exhaust should be in a similar mirror location visible from the opposite side. Both may be difficult to see without getting below the vehicle.

Rod

Thanks rod - try in the morning if it's not too wet!

So been to the dealers today and the van only has the one heater fitted. No wabasto coolent heater on the van. Taken the case up with VW and awaiting a call back. There was much confusion at the dealer about what should be fitted.

like rich 20 we have both stickers on the door on a 2014 beach but not heard the webasco one yet
Hi sandalfarm,

Do you happen to know what heater options in the price list you have fitted? I may need to argue with VW and need my ducks in a row

View attachment 10811 The programmable parking heater is on my options list but not the auxiliary coolant heater. I tracked down a June 2014 brochure which is the same as I used for ordering my Beach this February and the Auxillary heater is standard as listed in the "Interior - Cab Area" section on page 20. Sorry for the poor photo.

image.jpg

Last edited:
VW are saying 'auxiliary heater' and the 'auxiliary coolent heater' are not the same thing. anyone know how?