Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should we change from Caravelle to Beach?

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
We bought our low mileage 2004 caravelle last year with the intention of fitting an SCA roof to it but now wondering if we can be bothered to do all the extras or whether we spend a little bit extra & take the easy option to go for a Cali beach. Anyone else gone from caravelle to beach with any advice on the pros or cons of each?

We have 3 kids and usually tour france in the summer for 3 weeks but this year the girls will be too big to top & tail in between us and it wont be too long before my son outgrows the cab bunk so time to extend into the roof or get a cali beach!

So far the only advantage I can see the caravelle has is the twin sliding doors which I'm loathed to give up but might be tempted by the little extras the beach offers that we still have to fit to the caravelle if not - blinds, heater, leisure battery, tailgate chairs, integrated table. Oh and the crucial pop top! Anything I'm missing the caravelle doesn't offer?

Would a drive away awning give you the added space you require?

Alternatively go with what your heart sounds like it's telling your head a chop in the Caravelle for a Beach.

We've got a khyam motordome sleeper, great for the rainy UK but we like the freedom to sleep in the van wherever we choose & not always have to book campsites when we're in France. We took a pop up tent last summer to throw carseats & other bits in. There's nothing worse than stopping at a lovely spot by the river one evening knowing you have to strap 3 restless kids back in the car all because you've booked a campsite & feel obliged to turn up where you've booked & already paid!

We've got a beach but always take tents too when we go as a family as it's a bit too much hassle getting 5 plus luggage in the van.

Can you put a pop roof on a Caravelle? I thought the rear ventilation was in the roof?

I think you're spoilt with the twin side doors too - so not an easy decision.

One sliding door is great, keeps it cosy,t hough reduces practicality for day to day use.

Anything can be done, but pop top roof into a Velle is not easy and if you can afford a Beach, I'd buy one.

James

What about Polyroof, instead?

I think you're spoilt with the twin side doors too - so not an easy decision.

One less door to go wrong! ;)

I considered having a conversion but, at the end of the day, the benefits of a factory conversion outweighed the retention of that extra, near side, door.

Go for it ...... I did.

Bill

Thanks everyone, I think I've made up my mind but need to convince my husband it's worth the extra for a beach! Trying to see if we can hire one before taking the plunge.

It's apparently not a problem having a roof fitted to a Caravelle as the air vents & lighting can be fitted along the length of the van above the sliding doors or at each end of the pop top. The hard bit is finding a company to fit it near Suffolk, factor in the travel & accommodation costs & somehow managing without the velle whilst the work is carried out is what worries me.

What's polyroof?

Ever thought of a roof tent like a maggiolina?
Gives you the 2/3 person sleeping space upstairs and 1/2 the price of a pop roof.
It's equivalent to a pop roof in my opinion but with external access only.

Plus, you can sell it if you find you're not really using it.

The Beach has an second battery (not sure if the Caravelle does). New Beaches also apparently have a hook-up. As you're probably aware it's possible to get everyone out of the passenger side door in the event that its unsafe or impractical to go out of the single sliding door.

Fitting an SCA roof to a van must be around £4.5k
Spending that kind of money on a 10year old van. No way man. Buy a New van and fit one to that or go for a secondhand Beach.

From a resale point of view I would go with a factory built vehicle. I think conversions are good for individuality when you want something bespoke that is not really offered elsewhere. Also, if you have any issues with the roof on a Beach then any dealer can look at it, but on a conversion you may end up going all the way back to the company who fitted it.

cheers

Hi. I have a Caravelle fitted with a full California interior and roof. It was done by Simon Bissell in Louth, Lincolnshire. Most things work okay but he is hopeless about any thing that goes wrong. He also makes promises that he never keeps. If you're tempted to go to him for any conversion, I'd be very wary about trusting him at all.

Code:
Mac Of Phillack said:
Hi. I have a Caravelle fitted with a full California interior and roof. It was done by Simon Bissell in Louth, Lincolnshire. Most things work okay but he is hopeless about any thing that goes wrong. He also makes promises that he never keeps. If you're tempted to go to him for any conversion, I'd be very wary about trusting him at all.

Thanks, it does make me nervous handing over a load of money for someone to cut a hole in the roof without them coming recommended!

Found out we can hire a beach from vw so we can try before we buy which is great.

I have a Caravelle basic model called the startline. I was thinking the same way you are but in the end opted having it converted. I have had leisure battery , split charge and hook up added. led lighting and a full sheepskin wool insulation, ply and carpet line. I had a SCA 194 delux roof and bed added too. I am more than happy with the results. Happy to send you some photos if you PM me your email address so you can way up both options.

atk13 said:
I have a Caravelle basic model called the startline. I was thinking the same way you are but in the end opted having it converted. I have had leisure battery , split charge and hook up added. led lighting and a full sheepskin wool insulation, ply and carpet line. I had a SCA 194 delux roof and bed added too. I am more than happy with the results. Happy to send you some photos if you PM me your email address so you can way up both options.

Thanks so much for the pics, very helpful. Can you tell me where you got the roof fitted please? Anything you'd do differently in hindsight?

No problem, glad they were of help.
I got the roof fitted by Simon at Kingfisher campers near Lewes I. East Sussex. I am very happy with the work he carried out and can highly recommend him.
At the moment I am doing the van up as I can afford it. The next thing will be a kitchen pod. I have considered fitting a different rear seat as the only thing about the Caravelle triple is the space I takes up. Other than that I am happy. Until I retire the price of a new Cali is just too much for me.

Regarding the roof conversion, I would advise you give a donor California roof some consideration. I visited Richard from Kernow Transporters earlier in the year to look at his available stock and I must say, if we had not of changed our minds and got a SE, I would of gone for the donor California roof over any Reimo or SCA every time. The quality and final finish is far superior.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-califor ... 19e68f0f02

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-T5 ... 3f2ea0d871

I would like to point out that I have no connection with Richard or Simon, I have just researched this topic when we were converting our old CALIFORNIAish.

Andrew.

I wouldn't go down this route. If you phone me on 01736756748 I will give my reasons. I did go down this route and I am regretting it. The roof leaks, the fitting is poor etc.etc.
Give me a ring if you're considering using this mode of conversion.

I don't quite understand why anyone would try to build a 'Californiaish' - The California is a vehicle made by Vw who have spent millions developing it - why do people think company as good as it might be, can replicate it.

The California isn't just a 'Caravelle' with kitchen units and a poptop roof, you really need to understand what and where the California comes from.

Good luck on people doing it, I admire the can do attitude but I do think there is a touch of arrogance about it.

James

I agree, a converted van will never be a California and I have never read any posts on this forum or others where people claim there conversion is a California. I just fitted the kitchen and some of the exterior styling features and was very happy with the features I managed to obtain for a fraction of the price, however, I knew it would never be a California.

As we now have a "GENUINE" SE and a debt to go with it, I do agree that the California is an awesome bit of engineering, however, there is one thing that any California owner should acknowledge, it doesn't matter if you have spent £10k on a T5 and converted it yourself, or spent £50k+ on a Cali and have done nothing yourself, having owned both you essentially have the same holiday at the end of the day.

Ajspicer said:
I agree, a converted van will never be a California and I have never read any posts on this forum or others where people claim there conversion is a California. I just fitted the kitchen and some of the exterior styling features and was very happy with the features I managed to obtain for a fraction of the price, however, I knew it would never be a California.

As we now have a "GENUINE" SE and a debt to go with it, I do agree that the California is an awesome bit of engineering, however, there is one thing that any California owner should acknowledge, it doesn't matter if you have spent £10k on a T5 and converted it yourself, or spent £50k+ on a Cali and have done nothing yourself, having owned both you essentially have the same holiday at the end of the day.

Exactly - which is why I wouldn't replicate a Cali - I'd just convert a Kombi or Shuttle - why take the risk on using California parts just have the California bits

Many conversions will give the same end result, it's interesting to use California bits but it just sounds like a recipe for disaster .

James

I decided on a Cali kitchen set because of the great design and lightweight materials. Furthermore, the price of a secondhand Cali interior is a lot less than buying a Smev hob, Waeco top loading fridge and all the other ancillaries and trying to build a cupboard that comes anywhere close to the Cali. The table is nice too :D

I have owned converted vans for many years now. They are great as an affordable option to the Cali. But there is so much more substance with the California which many people don't see or get, little touches here and there which makes it worth its money.

One of the best things in my view, is all the extra sound insulation which makes travelling and driving more refined and more enjoyable.
Its so well finished and so amazing versatile...!!!

One things for sure. I wont be buying another converted van again, not after owning my Cali :cool:

Back