Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Showing Traffic on Discover Nav

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Picked up the new van yesterday and trying to get to grips with the discover nav.

Once I've added a destination and it plots the route, how can I get it to show the traffic on that route and to suggest alternatives if there's congestion?

Thanks!

Picked up the new van yesterday and trying to get to grips with the discover nav.

Once I've added a destination and it plots the route, how can I get it to show the traffic on that route and to suggest alternatives if there's congestion?

Thanks!
I only have the predecessor the RNS 510, but I cannot see that VW would have downgraded the facilities. On the RNS510, it automatically receives traffic updates, from the radio system, and then informs you of a change in route to get round it. If it cannot change the route, e.g.: between Motorway junctions etc: then it informs you there is Traffic Congestion and the map display shows little arrows on your highlighted route. It all works automatically, even in Europe and Scandinavia.

It's all in settings @Roc1 - click on 'Setup' gears icon bottom right of Nav screen. There are options to show Traffic, and ticking 'Dynamic Route' will enable rerouting on the fly if you go a different way to the suggested option. Mine shows thicker red & black hatched lines on relevant side of congested routes, but only on more main A-roads and motorways.

Once on the move if you want to manually introduce a reroute to avoid the next section:

- click on bottom left 'Route' screen button
- then 'Congestion Ahead' and dial-in how many miles you want to avoid

it will add a red highlight however far along the existing planned route you've specified & give an alternative if there is one.

It's all in settings @Roc1 - click on 'Setup' gears icon bottom right of Nav screen. There are options to show Traffic, and ticking 'Dynamic Route' will enable rerouting on the fly if you go a different way to the suggested option. Mine shows thicker red & black hatched lines on relevant side of congested routes, but only on more main A-roads and motorways.

Once on the move if you want to manually introduce a reroute to avoid the next section:

- click on bottom left 'Route' screen button
- then 'Congestion Ahead' and dial-in how many miles you want to avoid

it will add a red highlight however far along the existing planned route you've specified & give an alternative if there is one.
Oh ok thats odd as I've selected the 'show traffic' options and also 'dynamic route', but it still just shows the red line route on the map with no traffic shown.

I don't have to have the phone connected to it or anything?

Doesn't seem to make any difference if you have WLAN / Personal Hotpot (on iPhone) connected.

Obvs you'll need some actual traffic congestion for it to report too! - I have the privilege of living Up North so I have to wait for some red stripes usually at peak commuting hours - depending on where you are you may have a bit more to see ...

Also takes a minute or two for it download after you've fired up the van in the first place. Can you see any road names reported when you push the Traffic button?

Yep def traffic near here!

In the settings 'traffic flow' is greyed out, and when I press the 'traffic' button, it shows a load of traffic in the south east (where I am) but if i select 'route' it shows nothing. I know thats not right as the main road nearby at this time is packed!

Its very hit and miss on our RNS510. Some places no info is recieved and then it's not really reliable. I usually double check on Google maps.

Its very hit and miss on our RNS510. Some places no info is recieved and then it's not really reliable. I usually double check on Google maps.
I agree, often mine shows congestion where there is non and visa versa. The traffic function on google maps is extremely accurate and timely.

Frustrating considering the cost of it! I'll just use google maps via app connect then...

Out of interest is there any way of getting google maps to display in the main screen using app connect?

Yep def traffic near here!

In the settings 'traffic flow' is greyed out, and when I press the 'traffic' button, it shows a load of traffic in the south east (where I am) but if i select 'route' it shows nothing. I know thats not right as the main road nearby at this time is packed!

If you have set a destination then selecting route will restrict traffic problem reports/announcements to those on your route. Works fine every time.

Back