Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side bars & protection - worth doing?

Cjw

Cjw

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi, we have a 2017 week 6 build date on a Cali 204 DSG 4motion, Acapulco Blue. The question is....what are thoughts on getting VW chrome side bars fitted and also other 'protection' options (e.g. Bumper protection). At the moment my 'pro' list for side bars is 'makes the van look a bit more bling'

+1 for the black VW ones

Hi , i have unconfirmed week 8. and have ordered the black side bars.

Reactions: Cjw
Hi, we have a 2017 week 6 build date on a Cali 204 DSG 4motion, Acapulco Blue. The question is....what are thoughts on getting VW chrome side bars fitted and also other 'protection' options (e.g. Bumper protection). At the moment my 'pro' list for side bars is 'makes the van look a bit more bling'
I have the side bars and everyone likes them including me.

Reactions: Cjw
They are pure bling and probably don't offer much protection should you clang into something. However we have them but only because I think the van looks better with them.
image.png
One down side to them is that with the filthy winter roads they make your trousers very dirty when getting in and out.
Definitely go for the bumper protection.

Last edited:
They are pure bling and probably don't offer much protection should you clang into something. However we have them but only because I think the van looks better with them.
View attachment 18811
One down side to them is that with the filthy winter roads they make your trousers very dirty when getting in and out.
Definitely go for the bumper protection.
Looks nice. I also speced the Toulouca wheels, which I hope will add to the bling.

I must be the odd one out then. They look fine, keep the sides of the van cleaner in my opinion. Certainly don't make my trousers dirty in winter when I step into the van and I believe they do add some protection from super market dings as I haven't got any dents after 2 years as a daily driver, but then that is my opinion.
Be careful which ones you fit as some aftermarket side bars cover the side jacking points.
Just my opinion.VW 21.jpg

I must be the odd one out then. They look fine, keep the sides of the van cleaner in my opinion. Certainly don't make my trousers dirty in winter when I step into the van and I believe they do add some protection from super market dings as I haven't got any dents after 2 years as a daily driver, but then that is my opinion.
Be careful which ones you fit as some aftermarket side bars cover the side jacking points.
Just my opinion.View attachment 18812
Nice van! Did VW do the front bar as well?

Just my opinion.View attachment 18812
Hello WG,
I hope you're right about the protection they offer. They do seem a bit low down to stop either carelessly opened car doors or supermarket trolly damage. Still only time will tell.
They might stop some dirt reaching the vehicle sides although having just returned from a trip to the Oxford area, the van looks like I've just spent a week rallying in a sea of slurry.

Excuse my ignorance. What's the VED timeline and what is the cost
Date: First registered on or after 1 April 2017
Cost: ÂŁ640 year 1, ÂŁ450* PA Years 2-5, ÂŁ140 PA Years 6+ (ÂŁ940 Year 1 VED for 150PS 4 Motion and 204PS Oceans)
Details: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...11/ved-reform-briefing-for-motor-industry.pdf
A very low spec Beach may fall outside this new VED regime if list price, including options, is less than ÂŁ40,000.

*edited from ÂŁ500

Last edited:
I am quite lazy and don't wash the van very often during the winter and ours is a daily driver. What we have noticed though is if you leave mud stuck to the bars it tends to stain them if you don't clean it off. Ours are
genuine VW ones as well.

Nice van! Did VW do the front bar as well?
No. Bought and fitted myself as it is similar style to the VW side bars.

I am quite lazy and don't wash the van very often during the winter and ours is a daily driver. What we have noticed though is if you leave mud stuck to the bars it tends to stain them if you don't clean it off. Ours are
genuine VW ones as well.

I hate washing things and mine are dirty now. Are you saying if I leave them they deteriorate as perhaps a quick wash just for them would be appropriate

I hate washing things and mine are dirty now. Are you saying if I leave them they deteriorate as perhaps a quick wash just for them would be appropriate
I've never had that problem, even after 2 years and over 40,000 miles.
Never heard of stainless steel staining that easily.

I'm all for bling, but you've just ordered a vehicle that weighs nearly 3 metric tonnes - why would you want to make it any heavier!? Just saying ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back