Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side pipes - are they just bling or do they serve a practical purpose?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
When we bought our dealer demo Cali last October the dealer had already fitted VW stainless side pipes. I can't make up my mind if they are just pure bling or do they actually serve some practical purpose? Therefore if you are buying a new Cali should they be on your dealer fitted options list?

When we bought our dealer demo Cali last October the dealer had already fitted VW stainless side pipes. I can't make up my mind if they are just pure bling or do they actually serve some practical purpose? Therefore if you are buying a new Cali should they be on your dealer fitted options list?
Mine were. All I know is that no car park dings as yet.

Think it would the only thing i would add on a original Cali , talking bodywork ....
Still i don't got them:headbang

Edit: just beware that you make sure you still can reach the jackpoints....if the sidebars are not original VW!

Last edited:
So should these Silver or Black on an Acapulco Blue Ocean. I'm thinking maybe Black as I went for a Black awning - but then again ...........

Keep an eye out when you get tyres changed, I went to a local garage and I swear he nearly bent one with a trolley jack. He had to go under from the front in the end.

They are just bling though and would be useless in any beaching scenario as the struts connecting to the body aren't that strong, could easily bend by hand.

I'm interested in the original question raised in this thread - do the side bars serve a useful purpose, e.g. by preventing the worst of the road muck from being thrown up the sides of the vehicle at all? Main reason I am interested is that I am fed up of cleaning tar spots off my wife's candy white VW Golf, and if the side bars would help prevent that problem then they would serve a useful purpose (as well as being great bling of course).

There bling...but subtle bling...had mine fitted from new by the dealer..they look good.

I'm interested in the original question raised in this thread - do the side bars serve a useful purpose, e.g. by preventing the worst of the road muck from being thrown up the sides of the vehicle at all? Main reason I am interested is that I am fed up of cleaning tar spots off my wife's candy white VW Golf, and if the side bars would help prevent that problem then they would serve a useful purpose (as well as being great bling of course).
I have mud flaps and sidebars, and mud/tar on the side panels is not a problem. Which are responsible I have no idea.:thumb

So should these Silver or Black on an Acapulco Blue Ocean. I'm thinking maybe Black as I went for a Black awning - but then again ...........
I say black with black wheels unless you opt for a split rim alloy black centre and chrome outer, then it ties in nice.

I would say that they do serve a purpose. We had ours fitted after reading a post on here from a member who hit a rock on a corner and damaged the sill quite badly. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/tada-my-first-own-scratch.11211/#post-106829
I imagine the cost and time taken to repair that is quite extensive. Had it been on the offside it could well have affected the operation of the sliding door.
So to answer the question, "No I don't think they are just bling, they do serve a purpose". It is a shame that they are not available in more colours though, our Cali is black and so are the side bars, many people don't notice them.
VW California (15).JPG

Do they reduce the ground clearance at all??

Do they reduce the ground clearance at all??
I've not noticed any difference, they stick out sideways more than downwards so protecting from stones & obstructions from underneath, to some extent, and from the side.

I've not noticed any difference, they stick out sideways more than downwards so protecting from stones & obstructions from underneath, to some extent, and from the side.
Thanks, I think they will be on my medium term list, I've got enough ordered on the van as it is for now!

We have silver side pipes with black "steps" on them. I use it for getting in and out of the Cali and they were very helpful with my elderly Aunt. Also look cool and although had major damage from scraping a bollard at 5 miles an hour last year entailing £8000 new side of the vehicle they did help a bit.

Also I have to admit to liking a bit of bling. Have not noticed any lack of ground clearance but have not got Zebedee Zebra lowered. Hope that helps.....

We have them on our Cali and find that when the bars get dirty they leave dirt marks on you trouser legs, not sure we would buy them again.

Pipe Up...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/gallery/img_2654.816/full

I bought them on eBay for £99 as the are the slightly shorter version - meaning you can still access the jacking point. They claim to be the manufacturer that makes them for VW. Which seemingly they are...

This is the eBay item number if that's of any help...

Personally I like the look - nothing more than for looks!

Pipe Up...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/gallery/img_2654.816/full

I bought them on eBay for £99 as the are the slightly shorter version - meaning you can still access the jacking point. They claim to be the manufacturer that makes them for VW. Which seemingly they are...

This is the eBay item number if that's of any help...

Personally I like the look - nothing more than for looks!
What a bargain well done. They certainly look similar if not the same as the dealer fitted VW jobs.
Lovely cali by the way.

What a bargain well done. They certainly look similar if not the same as the dealer fitted VW jobs.
Lovely cali by the way.

If you need any pics (anyone) of the pipes on the van - let me know I'll sort it over one weekend.

Pipping good fun dubbers...

So I had mud-flaps from new and have little to no road tar... I have since fitted side bars. My personal view is that the mudflap is stopping the tar, The bars are slight back from the front sill edge so I think tar would still be 'thrown' up that portion of the wing. They would stop the 'rest' but you'd still have to get the GT85 out!

Here is my van, I think the side bars set things of very well !Herman 1.jpg

Back