Side sliding door not unlocking properly

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone come across a problem with the side sliding door not unlocking correctly...?
I have an intermittent problem where it can take 2,3, or 4 presses of the key before the lock opens. It’s becoming very frustrating.

I have tried spraying the contacts with WD40 but it hasn’t made a lot of difference.
Any advice please.

Has anyone come across a problem with the side sliding door not unlocking correctly...?
I have an intermittent problem where it can take 2,3, or 4 presses of the key before the lock opens. It’s becoming very frustrating.

I have tried spraying the contacts with WD40 but it hasn’t made a lot of difference.
Any advice please.

Had this problem with the front passenger door after a respray following a bus lane undertaker swiped me.

The dealer adjusted the lock and it has been fine since.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Yes had it with The sliding door. I could hear something going on in the door but it wouldn’t always unlock and the internal button remained down.
Van was still under warranty at the time and amazingly the fault occurred when demonstrating so it was fixed. Think they had to change the actuator but as warranty job I don’t have The paperwork to confirm.

Yes - on our T5,(2012) We had and issue when outside temp was 0 or below would not unlock, there was a fault in a part/sensor in the door but as out of warranty did not get it fixed. Worked as soon as tempature went above 0 when cold unlocked by pulling handle from the inside.

Thanks for the info guys.
Need to find a free weekend and take the trim off for a closer inspection.
I’m hoping, armed with a can of duck oil I can sort the issue. It does lock and unlock, but the unlock is the intermittent problem.
Perhaps something is sticking.

Anyone else come across this problem, I've got a 2 year old Cali and it's starting to show the same issue. I told the dealer but couldn't replicate it in front of them.

Don't spray wd40 on contacts as oil is an insulator. Use a contact cleaner. Spray the oil in the lock mechanism. But sounds like the actuator to me. Could it be the remote battery?

Don't spray wd40 on contacts as oil is an insulator. Use a contact cleaner. Spray the oil in the lock mechanism. But sounds like the actuator to me. Could it be the remote battery?
I thought that might the case but I get the same result with the buttons on the driver's door.

It’s sorted.
But I can’t remember what the fix was...
Sorry. My memory is turning to mush these days

Last edited:
Hi, just wondering if you got this issue sorted, I'm having the same problem, thanks
It is indeed, it was replaced under warranty, eventually they replaced the actuator as loz suggested (thanks loz). Just beware, they first said it was supposed to be like that, claiming it was an external child lock apparently ... then they asked what my problem was with it not working ... vw after sales care was very poor in this instance.

Mine had an intermittent issue where it would not open. Something has now properly broken as the internal handle now will not work. Have taken the door card off looks like it's a failure in the door lock mechanism.

Mine had an intermittent issue where it would not open. Something has now properly broken as the internal handle now will not work. Have taken the door card off looks like it's a failure in the door lock mechanism.
Mines doing same when it went in for service they could not replicate, now getting worst so going back tomorrow as it has ceased again. Seems to be a more common fault.
thank heaven for 5 year warantee.

Ours does it occasionally, if it happens more frequently I'll dismantle it and investigate.

Mines doing same when it went in for service they could not replicate, now getting worst so going back tomorrow as it has ceased again. Seems to be a more common fault.
thank heaven for 5 year warantee.
Our 2017 is doing the same, always in the cold weather. I've recorded a video of the locking/ unlocking working/ not working so I can get it sorted under warranty at next service. It usually unlocks at 3rd or 4th cycle of pressing the fob keys.

Typically the side door wouldn't play up during service and they missed the video.

Very next morning (cold) it played up again. Another video emailed to dealer, a week waiting for a reply and on right on cue it worked perfectly in the warm workshop. Referred them back to the unwatched video and now being fixed under warranty.

This is definitely a wider issue and not just the odd van.

Had this on my Beach, out of warranty so we took the lock mechanism out to see what was going on. Nothing obvious so took the lock apart and was able to work out the mechanisms operation. You can manually operate the lock on the bench and we noticed that one lever was getting caught up on the opening phase. A quick squirt of silicone spray and all was well. Thought it was worth stripping it to have a loom as I was ready to buy a new lock mechanism anyway.

Any advice please.
Our Cali failed it’s first MOT last month because the side door wouldn’t open, has never happened before. They took it apart, couldn’t find anything wrong and it just started working again. Not happened since (touching wood as I type).

From memory I think our vans are similar age, we collected in the same 6 months or so.

If it has failed once it will do it again, probably on a cold morning (although not always). If you have the extended warranty can I suggest videoing the lock / unlock sequence ( showing front door opening, back door not) after multiple key presses. Ours refused to play up in a warm workshop.

The fault on ours was very intermittent but quite frequent when it was playing up. Good luck.

Any advice please.
Me too. Thought I was going mad! Always worked on 2 until about 3 months ago, now always 3.

Me too. Thought I was going mad! Always worked on 2 until about 3 months ago, now always 3.
Spraying the contacts with wd40 won't help. Oil is an insulater. Thats why its inside transformers. You need to wipe that off and spray the contacts with a contact cleaner like Ambersil you may have made the issue worse.

Mine is still the same, always opens on the second press. I've not got around to investigating any deeper yet.

Back