Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Silly question - maybe - but do all Cali Beaches have a hook up?

D

DMAS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Pretty sure I know the answer but just thought I'd double check.

I know the location of the hook up is on the side of the van and I dont have one. Bought the van knowing it has no hook up and that's not a problem. But then i thought over the weekend that I've noticed some Van's have the hook up under the rear of the van or hidden behind a panel below the rear lights. So yea, thought I'd best check on here.

TIA all.

Dan

Our (2012) Beach does not have a hookup, but is booked in this Jan to have one fitted, they will put socket in the engine bay so it will be more visible when I try to drive off! (the strange thing is that our van has most of the other more expensive extras but just no hookup.)

At present (until hookup is fitted) when camping we have portable consumer unit, cable comes in thru passenger window, with an intelligent charger plugged into one of the 12v rear power sockets to top up leisure battery.

Pretty sure I know the answer but just thought I'd double check.

I know the location of the hook up is on the side of the van and I dont have one. Bought the van knowing it has no hook up and that's not a problem. But then i thought over the weekend that I've noticed some Van's have the hook up under the rear of the van or hidden behind a panel below the rear lights. So yea, thought I'd best check on here.

TIA all.

Dan
Originally Mains Hook-up and Charger were an Optional Extra for the Beach and only became standard around 2014, I think. This is for the U.K. spec vehicle as it may have been different in other countries.

I guess if you have a leisure battery, you will have hookup.
If you don't have a leisure battery, you don't need hookup as you don't need to charge anything.
Just not convenient for running a cable through the door or window to have a water kettle or something 220V-ish working.

If you don't have a leisure battery, you don't need hookup as you don't need to charge anything.
Just not convenient for running a cable through the door or window to have a water kettle or something 220V-ish working.

I do have a leisure battery. But only recently I'm thinking should I already have a hookup? and if not should i get one installed ?

It's a 2014 Beach.

All beaches come with a leisure battery but not hook up as stated only an option until 2015 i believe

Fyg - We have a leisure battery & factory fitted heaters, but no hook up. Leisure battery uses split charge off main battery to top itself up.

Probably worth getting getting a hookup and a charger installed, as the bluemotion will only ever top the battery to 80%. The other alternative is to go for a solar panel install to get the battery above 80% charge.

Probably worth getting getting a hookup and a charger installed, as the bluemotion will only ever top the battery to 80%. The other alternative is to go for a solar panel install to get the battery above 80% charge.
Do T5s have BlueMotion?

The only trouble with that is you can't see it flapping to try and get lift off as you career down the motorway after leaving an overnight stop......

At least with the factory fit you can see it flapping when you've forgotten to click the cover back on properly.
Agree but i didnt want to cut a big hole in the side of my van my hook up flap does seem to have a definite click so no problems yet. and being round the back it wont come to any harm even if it is flapping.

Only for the one driving behind you who gets it in his windscreen if it gets loose somehow :thumb

Of course, but then you can be blamed of seeing it and not doing anything about it to prevent it from happening.

The big orange cable whipping around in a haze of sparks as you drive off is the best way to spot that you didn't clip the hookup cover back down properly.
The hookup post bouncing down the street is also quite visible in the rear view mirror.

Back