Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Silly question

JohnGuppy

JohnGuppy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have just purchased a California Ocean Acapulco Blue it seems that the Awning fitted comes in silver and Black but I have a silver awning has anyone tried to paint to colour match , I would have been happy with black but silver and blue don't look very nice but then I did not order it

I have just purchased a California Ocean Acapulco Blue it seems that the Awning fitted comes in silver and Black but I have a silver awning has anyone tried to paint to colour match , I would have been happy with black but silver and blue don't look very nice but then I did not order it
Someone may well be happy to swap with you for a black one?

I had the awnings on both of my Californias painted sand beige because I didn't think that the silver looked right and I didn't fancy black. I was really pleased with the result. However when the awning was replaced under warranty on the second one (due to a split seam) the dealers said that VW wanted reassurance that it had never been removed as this would invalidate the warranty. I told them that it hadn't and they replaced it with a silver one which I haven't had re-painted.

I had the awnings on both of my Californias painted sand beige because I didn't think that the silver looked right and I didn't fancy black. I was really pleased with the result. However when the awning was replaced under warranty on the second one (due to a split seam) the dealers said that VW wanted reassurance that it had never been removed as this would invalidate the warranty. I told them that it hadn't and they replaced it with a silver one which I haven't had re-painted.

Ridiculous attitude from VW. The cassette awning is clearly designed to be easily removable, even if most people wouldn't want/need to. Surely they wouldn't say the warranty on the seats had been invalidated if you'd ever removed them?

Or maybe they would. :mad:

I am glad i purchased a new vechicle why dont they colour match and charge extra i agree black would have been ok but silver does not match , the whole point is it looks ********* bad and people will say why is that silver instead of what a cool van ? there loss
im going to get a rear spoiler fitted and painted then ill look at the awning for the price i paid its just bad marketing , ill get my dealer to remove and refit the awaing then they cant say its not under warenty

I am glad i purchased a new vechicle why dont they colour match and charge extra i agree black would have been ok but silver does not match , the whole point is it looks ********* bad and people will say why is that silver instead of what a cool van ? there loss
im going to get a rear spoiler fitted and painted then ill look at the awning for the price i paid its just bad marketing , ill get my dealer to remove and refit the awaing then they cant say its not under warenty
I would request a swap from the dealer that you bought the van from, the silver awning is quite a bit more expensive than the black.

Just in case you are not aware - the rear spoiler is not be compatible with a tailgate bike rack

Thanks for your posting and thanks for the bike rack. Info I don't have a bike so no need for one I will colour match the awning at some time

But good news is picked up the California at 4pm and drives like a dream and the flappy paddles work fine order sports steering wheel and u get rest free

Lastly. Many thanks for hand over list worked great and all there

Hi
I have a black one and would swop for silver if you could get up to me

Ken I forgot to say I fully agree it looks so silly and would have expected it to be colour matched

I'd go back to the dealer and ask to have it swapped. Unless its changed recently the black awning is standard and silver optional at an additional charge. So unless you specified silver (I nearly did - very glad I didn't in the end) you should have got a black one.

PS. I have the spoiler. I got it as compensation for an error in my order. Not sure I've had paid for it tbh. As well as being incompatible with the bike rack you have to be careful with long roof loads (e.g. kayaks). Many people prefer low profile roof bar feet. You need standard height with the spoiler.

Hi John ,If you ordered it from new and didn't specify silver then it should have come through as Black as standard ,if that is the case and they took it upon themselves to order you Silver which is a cost option (did they charge you) then surely it is fair to ask them to swap it to the standard Black and refund you for the option cost which you did not specify ?

Hi John ,If you ordered it from new and didn't specify silver then it should have come through as Black as standard ,if that is the case and they took it upon themselves to order you Silver which is a cost option (did they charge you) then surely it is fair to ask them to swap it to the standard Black and refund you for the option cost which you did not specify ?
As @John Guppy has stated previously his was a Dealer Ordered vehicle that he was able to get at a good price. So Someone at the Dealership has thought that Silver with Blue looked good.

Mind you, if you decided to go for the " Chrome " look then might not look out of place.:thumb

well it does seem silly as if I order a wing mirror it comes unpainted hence the price of a replacement
As VW buy these awnings in from who ever it would have been nice to have them colour matched I agree black would have been better as everyone I speak to comments on why its silver , guess I cant be too fussy as I only had to wait 24hrs for my new vehicles to arrive and touch wood its going fine no rattles and everything works solar panel is doing its job fully charged batteries so no need for hook up