Status
Not open for further replies.
Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Since adopting Velma (she's a 2015 T5) we've had only one beef with VW's oh-so-cunning gadgetry. That of course is the insane design of the cup holders in the multi-purpose pull-out dash module. Putting a cup into the spring loaded jaws is a two-handed job, so a safety hazard as well... Okay I guess I shouldn't be drinking and driving, but WHAT were they drinking in Wolfsburg the afternoon they dreamed that one up? I assume Teutonic logic was restored with the T6 dash?

While I was scratching my head, Mrs VD applied a bit of Scottish logic and invested £4.15 in a bunch of 70mm round wooden discs. Pop one in each cup holder and they then stay open for as long as you want. Okay, you have to take them out again when you want to re-stow the sliding module, but Velma's tends to stay open anyway for the 12v socket.

Here's the item on Amazon ("Other 70mm Wooden Disks Are Available From A Range Of Outlets", I presume):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HRTPJSU/?tag=eliteelect-21

This links to the 100mm diameter size, you want the 70mm.

I stained ours black with a marker pen. I realise that's getting anal.

Crafty solution. That cupholder is one thing that has been improved on the T6. It's now a solid drawer with a handy compartment at the back and a useful tray (we use it for parking change) at the front. Those silly spring clips have gone.

Last edited:
Crafty solution. That cupholder is one thing that has been improved on try T6. It's now a solid drawer with a handy compartment at the back and a useful tray (we use it for parking change) at the front. Those silly spring clips have gone.
Any chance of a picture, retro fit into a 5.1?

Doh, never thought of that! Costs nothing trumps £4.15. :(

Also (but off-topic) I have just bashed around a cheapo over-door hanger to make it fit neatly over the hinged hatch to the rear shelved compartment, as a place to hang rain jackets, dog lead etc. But wouldn't it be lovely to have one of those pop-out coat hooks that they have on airline seats, eg:
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/southco/product-22514-397781.html

But that would mean drilling the Cali vertical panelling in the wardrobe area - I guess it's aluminium sheet?

Next job is to make a support for a hanging wardrobe tidy I've acquired. The VW hanging rail is too far forward to be able to hang the tidy from it neatly. I think I can simply cut a length of timber to be supported by the top of the wardrobe back panel and the top slide channel of the tambour door. Sorry, heading off-topic again...:sorry

Doh, never thought of that! Costs nothing trumps £4.15. :(

Also (but off-topic) I have just bashed around a cheapo over-door hanger to make it fit neatly over the hinged hatch to the rear shelved compartment, as a place to hang rain jackets, dog lead etc. But wouldn't it be lovely to have one of those pop-out coat hooks that they have on airline seats, eg:
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/southco/product-22514-397781.html

But that would mean drilling the Cali vertical panelling in the wardrobe area - I guess it's aluminium sheet?

Next job is to make a support for a hanging wardrobe tidy I've acquired. The VW hanging rail is too far forward to be able to hang the tidy from it neatly. I think I can simply cut a length of timber to be supported by the top of the wardrobe back panel and the top slide channel of the tambour door. Sorry, heading off-topic again...:sorry
Yeah the wardrobe wall panels are egg box ali, well egg box isn't really a good description, two sheets with ribs in between. I drilled a large hole to retro fit the OE shower attachment, no problems using an 18v cordless.

Getting back to the two handed action, I have used the cupholder on many a run and find that if you angle the cup slightly you can open the clamp easily all with your left hand. The one issue I did have once was that some cups are more tapered than others and we were cruising down the motorway when the cup, luckily empty, shot up out of the holder which my wife caught.

Thanks Pete M for the wall panel info. Sounds like it should drill without too much risk. I assume putting a bit of tape over the spot before starting it off would be a good idea, like when drilling into a tile.

Thanks Pete M for the wall panel info. Sounds like it should drill without too much risk. I assume putting a bit of tape over the spot before starting it off would be a good idea, like when drilling into a tile.
Yep that would be good or use a small drill for a pilot.
If you're going to use a hole saw make sure it's not brand new a it will grab into the ali with the potential to wreck it! Unless you buy a hole saw designed for ali obviously ;)

Love seeing the stuff people have done to personalise their Cali. I suppose this is all today's version of what our granddads would have built in their sheds while poring over Practical Mechanics (well I can't imagine what other kinds of mags they would have read in their sheds...).

Now let's look at some examples of California improvements readers have made out of spare thermionic valves, Formica offcuts and Brylcreem tub lids. :Grin

We tried changing the impractical light grey front carpets to a dark brown colour, didn't take long just leave a large size mcdonalds hot chocolate balanced on the coin tray part of the T5 front cup holder when driving off.

We weren't keen on the result so spent about 3 hours with autoglym carpet shampoo to revert back to grey.

I thought those snappy b******s were the preserve of Transporters like my T28 - I think the circles-in-the-base is a most excellent workaround.

On the hooks thing, would these work?:

51z-pW-EEfL.jpg

Getting back to the two handed action, I have used the cupholder on many a run and find that if you angle the cup slightly you can open the clamp easily all with your left hand. The one issue I did have once was that some cups are more tapered than others and we were cruising down the motorway when the cup, luckily empty, shot up out of the holder which my wife caught.
We did that with a flimsy plastic cup full of expresso.
It went everywhere.
Twang and it was dripping of himselfs nose.
Who thought an expresso could go so far.
Evil stuff to clean off.... :headbang:headbang:headbang
That's when I deployed the marmite lids, very jolly yellow.

To hang your coats just put large S hooks on the head rest strutts on the driving seat. We have 3 hooked on there. Gets them out of the way when the seat is swivelled too.

Great ideas for the coat (etc) hooks, thanks all.

@Airhoguk - these look really neat. I think yacht chandlers have a lot of very cute kit that could be Californiated. Eg: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/
Okay maybe not the depth gauge transducers.

@PeteM - I had looked at stick-on hooks but wondered if even 3M adhesive would keep them on? The fake wood veneer on the Cali looks like it would spurn sticky things.

Great ideas for the coat (etc) hooks, thanks all.

@Airhoguk - these look really neat. I think yacht chandlers have a lot of very cute kit that could be Californiated. Eg: http://www.marinesuperstore.com/
Okay maybe not the depth gauge transducers.

@PeteM - I had looked at stick-on hooks but wondered if even 3M adhesive would keep them on? The fake wood veneer on the Cali looks like it would spurn sticky things.
I've go a couple stuck to the rough finish light grey trim and it holds a jacket ok.
They come with an alcohol wipe and very specific instructions, the double sided pad is separate from the hook and you have to fix one side, leave for a period the peel and attach hook if memory serves me right and not use for 24 hours.

Okay it sounds like a contact adhesive then (not that I'm any kind of expert on glue). 3M I'm sure know what they're about in that area.

I used the plastic lids from an empty jar. Cost nothing.
We use jar lids too, after a particularly alarming, plastic cup emptying, shower of scaulding expresso! The vision of himself dripping with coffee still makes me giggle now...

Status
Not open for further replies.