Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink leaks! Corroded

S

silewis

Love our Cali that we've had for 5 years but there is now a small hole in our sink and the metal for the sink and hob had seemingly corroded. Not sure what to do but wondered if others had had a similar problem? Many thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sureley this is stainless steel? I would go to VW for some goodwill.

:Nailbiting
What on earth does that looks like , are you the only owner?
This can only be done by not treating the sink correct imo.
Or this must be a factory failure but think we never seen this here on the forum , did we?
Mine looks way much better (4y)

Don't think this would be replaced in warrenty

The most usual cause of pitting corrosion in stainless steel is prolonged contact with chlorides, common salt and bleach are both possible sources. If a contaminated damp dishcloth has been left in the sink this could be the cause.
Not much help to you now I know but it may help prevent future problems.

Just had another thought. Leaving the plastic bowl in the sink could retain moisture too and allow any salt or bleach to get to work.

Do you sterilise the water system frequently ? Milton tablets etc attack stainless steel.

i am sure this will not appear out of the blue, does not look good. never seen it brought up as an issue before on the forum.

Agree with Herman, I've seen large SS storage tanks and pipe work suffering similar pitting corrosion when exposed to chlorides.

I can't see VW stumping up after 5 years.

Suggest as a fix you apply epoxy resin on the underside with a layer or two of glass matting. Squeeze the resin through the holes then carefully remove excess on the top side with a sharp blade before it fully hardens.

You might be able to do some cosmetic filling from the top with some grey epoxy filler, removing excess with a razor before it fully hardens. Then you could put over it one of those plastic mesh thingies that's supposed to stop the sink getting scratched.

Unless you can acquire a replacement at reasonable cost. ...... ?

We never use the plug in our sink, it's too small to wash anything, OK for rinsing under the tap.

We had corrosion on the tap from new and had green copper oxide every time we used it . It was checked at 6 months and an electrical short was found . The sink and tap were replaced . Might be worth checking the electrics .

We also had some corrosion on our sink, what ever you do, don't try and rub it down unless you know what you are doing as we made a complete mess of ours and now looks worse :headbang

Looking at the rust in the plug hole, it would appear something has attacked the metal coating. I would not expect damage like this to come from washing up liquid etc but some other chemical possibly being used to clean the sink. Be interested to hear what VW say though.

Decent stainless steel should not rust so either this is something left in the sink like bits from a brillo pad or similar or it could be contamination caused during manufacturing where a contaminated rolling mills have impregnated the stainless with iron filings..

If a replacement bowl is not too expensive I would just swap it, otherwise you could polish the sink with a very fine wet and dry paper, if you work at it you could get a reasonable "Brushed" finish to it.

Johnsons baby oil is great for cleaning and maintaining stainless steel cookers and sinks. A light coating after every trip makes mantenance easy.

Back