Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sink pump

Ola Moen

Ola Moen

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, I have a problem with the sink/water pump. It clicks on and of so I think the switch works. No power measured in the closet close to the tank. Could it be a fuse? Were can I find it? Could it be something else? Thanks for your reply!

Thanks. Have already read these threads.
Think I have found the fuse, 5 amp under the left seat. It is ok and I can still not measure any current on the wires going into the tank...

There should be a flow switch located in the flexi hose feeding the tap or in the tap itself. I'm guessing the harness connection will be inside the cupboard below the sink? Speaking from a T4 perspective so I may be off. The tap has to switch on the pump somehow so find the switch connection and check voltage from there/bypass it etc.

Last edited:
Are you measuring the current with the tap on

There is 2 pairs of cables on the water tank. One of them is the level sensor. Make sure you do measure the right one.

Thank you all for your help. Did some better voltage measurements and it turned out that the pump had power and that it was stuck. Some turning of the impeller solved the problem and the pump runs normally now :)

Mostly if no water runs out the tap it is the pump thats stuck....but do check if there is water in the tank...
VW advised me when not using the Cali long term , frequently turn the watertap open a few seconds...to prevent it getting stuck.
Mine was faulty within two months from new , so under warrenty .
Out of warrenty just buy one in a camperstore , they are a commen product.

Glad you sorted it out , and things learned from it!

Sink water pump failed today, appears as if the pump is broken, no noise from the pump and the fuse keeps blowing every time I turn the tap on. I have ordered a whale pump which arriving tomorrow (10.92 with next day delivery) I have accessed the fresh water tank and managed to open the stubborn screw lid, I would appreciate tips on wiring and fitting.

Er....remove the old one. Fit the new one in the same place and reconnect the two wires?

You will need to unplug the connection and cut the wire leaving a good length of cable then pull through the hole in the tank you then need to install the new pump and poke the cable from inside through the hole and join to the piece you cut off using a scotchblock connector. Plug back in and your done.

Thanks Calikev. Had to google scotchblock connector, looks like a trip to Halfords in the morning. I guess the connection that is in use at the moment will not be reusable?

No the pump cable was pushed through the hole then the connector fitted it will not fit through the hole. That's why you need to cut the connector off and rejoin once the new pump is in. It's only 12v so not a problem. I did insulate the scotchblock connector with some insulation tape.

You could crimp the cable using these

IMG_0698.JPG

I wouldn't use those they are really for splicing into another cable stick with the scotchblock connector :thumb

Sorry my mistake I know these as scotchblock this is what you need

IMG_0699.JPG

All sorted, new pump, delivered fitted and working, within 24 hours. I could not have done it without the advice available on the forum.

Many Thanks

I believe vw quoted £120 just for the pump

Back