Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Site 240 v socket internal to van....

Phil Hall

Phil Hall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have read posts about suppling site mains safely to the awning. However, could I ask is there any reason why there is not a direct socket supplied via the internal rcd / contact breaker?
I know there is a continental socket but that I believe is from an "inverter".
Or is there one and I have never found it?
My that thinking is that in my caravan, and motor home they have direct mains sockets.

If you have an SE you will have a mains outlet 13a socket at the end of the sink cupboard unit. This only works when hooked up to a site supply.

I have read posts about suppling site mains safely to the awning. However, could I ask is there any reason why there is not a direct socket supplied via the internal rcd / contact breaker?
I know there is a continental socket but that I believe is from an "inverter".
Or is there one and I have never found it?
My that thinking is that in my caravan, and motor home they have direct mains sockets.
As already stated 240v Mains socket on end of kitchen unit, next to the 12v socket.

There is also a 240, but Continental type socket, at the base of the B pillar between the end of the Kitchen and rear of the L hand or Passenger seat. This socket works from an Inverter and powered from the Leisure Batteries , BUT it only has a power output of 150 watts so its use is limited to low power items e.g.: Laptop charger, phone chargers, 50 watt mains fan.

There is no socket to supply power the awning from the Cali unlike a motorhome or caravan. I guess it is just not been designed in yet. A competent electrician would be able to install one for you after someone has cut a nice big hole in the side of your pride and joy for him to put it in. I am happy with one of the tent power supply units myself. Seems to work fine and power is retained in the awning if we take the van out for the day so the fridge can still run.

Brilliant replies, many thanks.
Is this an age thing, My senior moments getting worse as my wife just reminded that last year I did actually use the 3 pin socket to the side of the sink.
Anyhow, just reunited myself with is location - many thanks.
Good point about the awing supply being self sufficient.

use one of these. take power under or around your van and into the awning from the site supply. job done

s-l300.gif

Back