Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Site Hardstanding

S

Solis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, I have just booked 2 nights at a CCC site at Chipping Norton, handstanding with electric. I am now having second thoughts re ‘hardstanding’. Can someone please advise how one would peg down an awning if the ground is hard. Thanks.

Use the tent pegs that look like 6 inch nails & take a decent hammer, not just a rubber mallet.

I always make sure that I have one of these in the boot for those "just in case" moments::shocked

11304-jack-hammer.jpg

Seriously, what Andy said,

Hi, I have just booked 2 nights at a CCC site at Chipping Norton, handstanding with electric. I am now having second thoughts re ‘hardstanding’. Can someone please advise how one would peg down an awning if the ground is hard. Thanks.
Normally the “Hardstanding” is just for the vehicle. If it extends beyond the wheelbase it is often compacted gravel that allows pegs. Don’t forget Caravanners would not be without their “marquee” sized awnings.
The best pegs to use are “Rock” pegs. Very strong and will penetrate most ground except solid concrete.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Heavy...332756&hash=item440c20b229:g:RbQAAOSw0e9UwQJ5

Last edited:
I laughed out loud at that picture GrannyJen

Other campers love it when I start him up :shocked

Done at the right time it drowns out the noise of the water roll parade and the slopping out trolleys :happy

Some of these and a wooden (defo not rubber) mallet. Sorted.
s-l300.jpg

Is there a knack to getting the rock pegs out having driven them into hard ground? I've given up on them having snapped off the plastic top in my efforts :(

hit them gently side to side to loosen, & use a claw hammer to pull out.

We use two foldable 10 Liter plastic water containers, and tie them up to the legs of the awning. Not when windy though.

Regards from stormy Amsterdam,

Marc.

Campsite hard standings aren't a slab of concrete but more of a gravel or granite base to prevent a muddy pitch.
not so good for the table and chair legs but at least you don't get out onto wet or muddy grass.
Other advantage is that they are normally relatively level.

Once pitched a frame tent on a concrete driveway in Belgium but had to use bricks to tie/hold it down.

Back