Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ski Parking

DM

DM

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We're thinking of using the Cali as transport for a ski-trip this Christmas. Just not sure about the wisdom of leaving the Cali parked up outside for a week in sub-zero temperatures / snow. I'm presuming we will be too tall for any inside car parks so will probably need to park outside. Any tips? Obvs empty the fresh-water tank. Should we use the parking heater periodically or is it better just to let everything freeze and then thaw it out at the end of the week?

Also - any advice re tyres? I have all-weather at the moment. I will need chains as they are mandatory for the resort I'm thinking of.

Thanks.

If it were me

There are loads of cars parked for long periods ( 2 weeks plus) in Ski resorts without issue but i accept the Cali has some uniqeness to it that may need a little more attention so as said if it were me i would programmer the aux heater for an hour or so at the beginning and end of each day i would also go and start her up for 10 minutes or so every couple of days and let the engine warm up to normal temp and keep the diesel flowing in the pipes etc and keep the battery as tip top as possible put the aircon on at the same time to de humidify the air inside

All of the above is probably not needed but thats what i would do

Reactions: DM
If it’s Arc 1950 it has indoor parking and the Cali fits. The other Arc’s have covered parking but some depend on where you are staying.

We are heading there for Christmas but we are staying in the mini lodges at the Huttopia site in Bourg.

Also if you book you ski passes before the end of October you get a 10% discount on them.

If it’s Arc 1950 it has indoor parking and the Cali fits. The other Arc’s have covered parking but some depend on where you are staying.
That's useful to know. Unlikely to be staying at 1950 - out of my acceptable price range :Nailbiting.

I've got more sensible offers at 1600 and 1800. 1600 has the advantage of a huge free outdoor car park.

We are heading there for Christmas but we are staying in the mini lodges at the Huttopia site in Bourg.

Also if you book you ski passes before the end of October you get a 10% discount on them.
Thanks for the reminder.

If it were me

There are loads of cars parked for long periods ( 2 weeks plus) in Ski resorts without issue but i accept the Cali has some uniqeness to it that may need a little more attention so as said if it were me i would programmer the aux heater for an hour or so at the beginning and end of each day i would also go and start her up for 10 minutes or so every couple of days and let the engine warm up to normal temp and keep the diesel flowing in the pipes etc and keep the battery as tip top as possible put the aircon on at the same time to de humidify the air inside

All of the above is probably not needed but thats what i would do
Pretty much what I was thinking. I've happily left my car outdoors on several occasions but a little more paranoid about the Cali.

I always fill up with fuel at the Super U in BSM, I assume as it’s in the mountains it has the necessary anti freeze.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I was thinking. I've happily left my car outdoors on several occasions but a little more paranoid about the Cali.
Snow is easy to brush off, but if the Parking Heater is run it will melt the snow on the bodywork and windows which will then freeze so you could end up with a nice coating of ice. Possibly freezing the doors shut. So be aware.
Have you got one of those Battery Starters?

Snow is easy to brush off, but if the Parking Heater is run it will melt the snow on the bodywork and windows which will then freeze so you could end up with a nice coating of ice. Possibly freezing the doors shut. So be aware.
Have you got one of those Battery Starters?
Agghhh. Pros and cons both ways. I’ll spend the entire week worrying I’ve made the wrong call.

We have had a week in the alps sleeping in the van,it was minus 12 some nights the van fired up after a couple of days standing no probs.
Stayed in a cabin last year when we went in the California
Didn’t move it for a week and it was fine.
one year We went in our reimo converted T4 and left it parked up in a carpark for over a week and it was fine no issues whatsoever.
loved that van the 2.5 tdi was Awsome .

4282EAB8-2479-4082-9A34-D72F1775DF19.jpeg

A52D8C66-9D31-4205-AE35-90B8F9122DB4.jpeg

09CE8B51-A1CF-4ACA-B857-176E40F19A06.jpeg

48A923EA-10E4-4B6C-B4F1-8A25440F17D3.jpeg

Last edited:
Agghhh. Pros and cons both ways. I’ll spend the entire week worrying I’ve made the wrong call.
I've left my California for 4 weeks in sub zero temperatures and it started first time. With alarm on the whole time. Parking Heater fired up and took almost an hour for the ice to melt of the side panels.

Don’t forget to leave the hand brake off so that it doesn’t freeze. When I worked in a snowy area the supervisor at work said that he would help with any car issue except for a frozen on hand brake!