Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ski recommendations

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
When life gets back to normal thinking of a ski trip, any recommendations for complete novices with kids 11/13.
Plan to take the van so sites to park up needed.
A gentle introduction please, not getting any younger!

If possible pre trip visits to an indoor ski training venue (Milton Keynes?)would reduce the risk of accidents and put everyone in a position to enjoy the skiing from day one,

I always recommend Camping Huttopia in Bourg Saint Maurice, nice site with good facilities near a number of ski resorts which are all great for beginners.

Andorra is brilliant for beginners (and novices alike)...lovely big wide rolling pistes, great ski schools. It doesn’t have quite the scenery of the Alps but it’s price makes up for that. Definitely agree with @B J G to start with a lesson at a U.K. snow dome.

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
When life gets back to normal thinking of a ski trip, any recommendations for complete novices with kids 11/13.
Plan to take the van so sites to park up needed.
A gentle introduction please, not getting any younger!

If you're new to skiing do keep in mind that, as beginner, you're going to get very damp and soggy every day, through a combination of sweating and falling in the snow which you will be doing a lot of in your first week. You'll want somewhere to dry off everything overnight, I can't imagine what that would be like in a Cali but certainly not very pleasant. So make sure you book a campsite with guaranteed "ski friendly" facilities including a drying room.

As you'll (I assume) be renting skis and boots, pick a rental location where you can store the whole lot, including the boots, in a drying space every night.

(I have to admit that, to me, skiing and Cali-ing don't really mix... maybe for a singleton, experienced skier who just wants somewhere to crash every night after eventually getting back from the bar, but not for a family. When you're new to skiing there's a huge amount to be said for a ski-in, ski-out location where you can just dump your skis at the end of the day and jump into a hot bath with a cold beer. But I'm sure there will be those of a different inclination who will pop up on here and persuade you otherwise.)

Obertauern, Austria.

The main thing is to just go. Its amazing. Such a wonderful life skill. Lucky kids! As someone with children that have skied since they were two I have looked (and almost been) everywhere. The short answer is to go to Austria (suggestion before this post is good one). I liked obergurgl. This got my family HOOKED and we now ski 10 weeks a year together. Pure magic it is. In a nutshell the combo of snow sure (it’s not just altitiude that matters), instruction, facilities, number of people, lift insfastructure, and overall feel does it for me. We now like Val Disere but only because my kids love the steep stuff and ski in the local team now. Ask me any questions on PM. Happy to help. all the best

The main thing is to just go. Its amazing. Such a wonderful life skill. Lucky kids! As someone with children that have skied since they were two I have looked (and almost been) everywhere. The short answer is to go to Austria (suggestion before this post is good one). I liked obergurgl. This got my family HOOKED and we now ski 10 weeks a year together. Pure magic it is. In a nutshell the combo of snow sure (it’s not just altitiude that matters), instruction, facilities, number of people, lift insfastructure, and overall feel does it for me. We now like Val Disere but only because my kids love the steep stuff and ski in the local team now. Ask me any questions on PM. Happy to help. all the best
10 weeks! Lucky chap. Love Austria too. Ever had a successful ski trip in your Cali @Aca_chap? Interested to hear from anyone with kids (one 12 year old in my case) who has...

10 weeks! Lucky chap. Love Austria too. Ever had a successful ski trip in your Cali @Aca_chap? Interested to hear from anyone with kids (one 12 year old in my case) who has...
Hi. No I haven’t taken the Cali skiing. Personally, I’m not sure it’s worth it but that’s just my view. I could be wrong. For me skiing is about First and last lift days and I like the chalet afterwards to recover. In all honesty the benefit of the Cali being more cost effective / convenient / adventure is lost skiing. If you go with a package supplier like esprit or action outdoors (recommend both for you - pm me) then the cost of accommodation can be heavily discounted anyway. If you get direct you can get some incredible deals. Honestly by the time you’ve added 1500-2000 miles on the clock of the cali you’re as well to stay in a hotel for a week. And also, maybe it’s just me, but the vibe in the evening is part of skiing. You’ll potential struggle in such a small place with all your gear for a week. In summary I think there is novelty value for the Cali approach but for long term option I would really just go bricks and mortar (or wood!). All the best and enjoy the snow. We are booked to go on 10 December for a month. Fingers crossed it’s allowed. Not much optimism in the resorts right now.

Skiing first time with a family I would go for a package rather than in your Cali. We ski as a couple in our Cali but when it’s the family as well chalet is a no brainer. Good luck.

We did a week in one of our California’s in 2011
It snowed heavy for the whole week
Our memory of it is a good one .only me the wife and our son so still not too cramped fantastic time in the French alps
This is a photo of a photo in le grand bornand

1D9BBF70-83B4-429E-887B-6DDEDDE5176E.jpeg

368A0268-C64C-4BEA-B5CE-ADEA9AB1D43A.jpeg

Last edited:
Do it. I loved using the van. This is zugspitz resort in Austria. Ski lift over the road

IMG_20200221_070518.jpg

I personally wouldn’t with kids unless they’re seasoned skiers...
I’ve been over myself a couple of times in the van. Bunch of lads. But we get up early, ski, get back, swimming baths to clean up and then out on the beer all night.
Fine for adults living a few fast nights.
But doubt it will be fun for the kids or with kids. Especially for first timers too...

Back