Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slatted Roof Bed Retro Fit

T

TimboG

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi all,

We had a T5 conversion completed about three months ago . It has a pop up top with a rather short and very uncomfortable bed in it . Having now seen the California’s slatted bed and an even more sophisticated one in the Westfalia I wondered if it was possible to have one of these fitted as a retro fit. Any advice about this and even better where I could enquire would be greatly appreciated. The memory foam one we have on the hardboard Is just not comfortable . Thanks as usual .

Hi all,

We had a T5 conversion completed about three months ago . It has a pop up top with a rather short and very uncomfortable bed in it . Having now seen the California’s slatted bed and an even more sophisticated one in the Westfalia I wondered if it was possible to have one of these fitted as a retro fit. Any advice about this and even better where I could enquire would be greatly appreciated. The memory foam one we have on the hardboard Is just not comfortable . Thanks as usual .
Might be worth a call to Jerba conversions as I think they fit a slatted roof bed in their pop top.

Hi all,

What is the exact problem?
Bed too short? The length will be determined by the type/length of the Pop Top fitted.

Mattress too hard? There are many different combinations of memory foam mattresses coupled with softer Mattress Toppers that go on top.

What is the exact problem?
Bed too short? The length will be determined by the type/length of the Pop Top fitted.

Mattress too hard? There are many different combinations of memory foam mattresses coupled with softer Mattress Toppers that go on top.
Hi Welsh gas. The bed is just so uncomfortable. It is a bit short but so are we so that’s not the major issue . We tried a go outdoors California mattress on top but there is no give at all because of the hard board . We contacted a company in Brighouse and they said it would be very difficult to retro fit a slatted bed but recommended the exped mega duo mat 10. It is expensive but I must say it gets excellent reviews. It’s 10 cm thick and looks like a real mattress so maybe that will do the trick .

Hi Welsh gas. The bed is just so uncomfortable. It is a bit short but so are we so that’s not the major issue . We tried a go outdoors California mattress on top but there is no give at all because of the hard board . We contacted a company in Brighouse and they said it would be very difficult to retro fit a slatted bed but recommended the exped mega duo mat 10. It is expensive but I must say it gets excellent reviews. It’s 10 cm thick and looks like a real mattress so maybe that will do the trick .
The problem I find with sleeping on a blow up air bed is the lack of air circulation so get damp patches where your body is in contact.

Yes that’s the problem. It’s a bit of trial and error for us at the moment. We didn’t pay a fortune for the van so we knew there would be compromises . Anyway I will keep you posted on how we get on .

Back