Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleep Comfort

C

Canyon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi Guys n Gals,

I fully appreciate that this topic has been discussed at length and I have tried to take it all in, but I still have some questions....disclaimer over.

I would like to buy something for the pop up roof that will protect from warm temperatures (post sunrise), cold temperatures and rain.

From what I can see, there are options of toppers, calicaps to protect against the elements and a lot of people recommend the Isotop.

Im not sure if I am unrealistic, but I would like to understand if just getting the Isotop is enough to protect sufficiently.

As I understand it, the Isotop is placed within the popup roof, so whilst it is a pain in the rear to put in, it stays there.. I also understand that this will keep things cozy at night and also protect a little from the light in the morning as well as keeping the early morning heat out. Is the isotop enough to keep things dry inside during wet weather, ie mattress etc or would we need both the isotop and a calicap/topper...… I don't want to fork out £££ unnecessarily, but I do want to ensure max comfort.

Also, whilst I can sleep on a bed of nails without much issue, the missus was complaining about sore back after night on the cali mattresses. Can anyone recommed anything they have used to add a little more cushioning at night....or should I just get her to eat more?

Any assistance, much appreciated.

C

Watching as I am in the same situation, but not yet an Owner. Hope you don’t mind, but it would also be useful to know if the Iso-top still works with the additional bulk of the 2019 MY roof bellows (full opening front).

I went down the route of Comfortz topper and then bought a second hand RainbowScreens wrap.
Our preference is the RS wrap unless it's hot weather, where the topper allows more air flow through the 'upstairs'. I believe that Isotop internal is being revised for the new 2019 bellows, it would be a tight fit I think, and in our opinion wouldn't give us the versatility of having a light airy roof & bed up during the day...
The Comfortz gives full rain protection to everything down to the van roof, the RS gives better sound deadening and blackout, and could be reversed (silver side out) to keep temperatures down.

We have also just bought 2 Duvalay Freshtec mats to go on top of the VW mattress - yet to try them but look promising...

We sleep upstairs and have had our Ocean for 18 months. I bought a second hand forum shop topper. We use that when it’s cold (we use the van all year round in the north of England) or if very heavy rain forecast. Pleased with it.

My wife didn’t find factory mattress comfortable so we bought a dunelm topper. Comfortable but a faff to move up and down and takes a fair bit of storage space. Recently changed to a zonesleep ultra to replace the factory mattress. Does the job but it is expensive. Will stick with this.

We have Isotop internal and I use comfortz external cover. No issues for the children sleeping upstairs nice and dark, plenty of ventilation and you can still zip canvas open.
Downstairs bed is what most people complain about. After trying lots of different solutions we use inflatable mats and find these comfortable and don’t take up much space.
It’s finding what best works for you.

We are going to go down the route of a rainbow pop top screen, based on reviews, internet searches it ticks a lot of our boxes.

We have also ordered a couple duvelays for testing... if it works well, we may get a couple for the nippers.

We've been driving around the North for 6 weeks,.sleeping upstairs with no topper. We've had periods of heavy rain and wind with no issues,. (although I have treated the bellows with a wax based weather proofing). I would suggest using the Cali for a while without a topper and judge whether you need to spend the £500 or so from experience. It is probably still too early for us to make an informed decision.

Our Cali came with the goretex liner and we like that it makes the top darker for sleeping in the summer nights, and it’s kept us dry in torrential rain. We bought the duvelay toppers for upstairs, they are two singles which roll up and are fairly easy to transport and simple to roll out when we make the bed. It would be interesting to get a view from someone who has tried these and the zonesleep alternative. Here’s wishing you happy camping!

Always loved idea of the Brandrup Isotop, but no way I was forking out £500 for occasional rain protection and a darker bedroom for the kids! However... couldn't see any reason why DIY wouldn't work.

I've worked up a solution over the last few camps involving £30 worth of black waterproof fabric and sundry velcro and hooks. Still at prototype stage, but kept out torrential rain and bright sunshine this weekend (and my son loved it). And stays in place permanently. Will post pictures when I've got it right!

We sleep upstairs and have had our Ocean for 18 months. I bought a second hand forum shop topper. We use that when it’s cold (we use the van all year round in the north of England) or if very heavy rain forecast. Pleased with it.

My wife didn’t find factory mattress comfortable so we bought a dunelm topper. Comfortable but a faff to move up and down and takes a fair bit of storage space. Recently changed to a zonesleep ultra to replace the factory mattress. Does the job but it is expensive. Will stick with this.
Hi
Do you use zonesleep plus the topper?

I have the very expensive Brandrup topper. Only used it once in nearly six years! Camped every month of the year in all weathers! Canvas has never let any rain through! I understand the more the canvas is exposed to water the fibres enlarge and mesh better. And no moaning from teenage daughter! Result!

We went for the Rainbow Screens pop top cover and front screen and can highly recommend both - really great people to deal with and they kept us seriously warm when overnight in very low single figure overnight temperatures. The pop top cover keeps the upstairs dark and very cosy! We sleep upstairs and find it comfy. We use a mattress protector and groundsheet (both bought through the shop and fit well) and a duvet.

With Rainbow Screens we went to their unit in Milton Keynes and they took the measurements themselves (apparently the exact position of the openings in the pop to can vary) and the fit on both items is perfect. Picture of Dylan all wrapped up in Spain attachedA91331C0-F121-4B24-8237-04FBCE1DD438.jpeg

We recently bought the isotop and kids slept soundly but expensive. We haven't tested it in extremes but seems to work well so far.

Re bedding we recently got the Duvalay sleeping bags and it has made a huge difference. Would strongly recommend it. It does take up a fair bit of storage but the improved sleep is worth it.

Hi, we also have a Zonesleep but finding that the Wife loves it but I don't find it particulary great - its been suggested that because I sleep predominantly on the side. Was looking at a wool matress topper but noticing this post this seems to be the perfect solution. Do you put it on top of the matress or on top of the slats. How many nights have you had it for. Off for a 3 1/2 week trip shortly and this option would make all the difference to a good nights sleep and to the space. Which retailer did you use and can you offer any further advice.

It works great sleeping on your side, back or front! I tend to wake up with a stiff and sore back if I sleep on an overly firm or soft bed and have found this setup to be the most comfortable by far. It goes directly on top of the slats... the roof won’t close properly if it goes on top of the standard mattress. You can adjust the firmness by putting more or less air in ...I find it can be made too firm ...and only needs a bit of topping up when the roof goes up. The Megamat, which we also have (singles), is 10cm rather than 7.5cm thick and has square sides... we would have bought this if they made it in an appropriate size but the 7.5 SIM Comfort Duo is the perfect size for the roof bed and virtually as comfortable as the Megamat. They are expensive but a small price to pay for a great nights sleep! Oh and we used it for 3 weeks around Europe last year and we found it to be great every night.

...and have found this setup to be the most comfortable by far. ...

Thanks for this. I have been looking to find a (small) double SIM which could be used both upstairs and downstairs (max 114cm wide). The only one found so far is the Vango California mattress which is 5cm thick and 180cm x 100cm

Watching as I am in the same situation, but not yet an Owner. Hope you don’t mind, but it would also be useful to know if the Iso-top still works with the additional bulk of the 2019 MY roof bellows (full opening front).
If you want to keep the light out in the morning tick the blue bellows box. That’s one of your problems sorted.
I have always had grey but the new canvas of late is so transparent I really wanted something darker .
The blue one is great at keeping it dark in the morning.

It works great sleeping on your side, back or front! I tend to wake up with a stiff and sore back if I sleep on an overly firm or soft bed and have found this setup to be the most comfortable by far. It goes directly on top of the slats... the roof won’t close properly if it goes on top of the standard mattress. You can adjust the firmness by putting more or less air in ...I find it can be made too firm ...and only needs a bit of topping up when the roof goes up. The Megamat, which we also have (singles), is 10cm rather than 7.5cm thick and has square sides... we would have bought this if they made it in an appropriate size but the 7.5 SIM Comfort Duo is the perfect size for the roof bed and virtually as comfortable as the Megamat. They are expensive but a small price to pay for a great nights sleep! Oh and we used it for 3 weeks around Europe last year and we found it to be great every night.
This is very interesting thanks for posting! Do you use a pump or do you find your breath does the trick? I wonder if this is worth a thread on its own to make sure people don't miss it? It's a very significant find!

It comes with a small hand pump made out of the same material as the mattress. If you Google “Megamat” you will find many glowing reviews and comments on the level of comfort that these provide. The SIM Duo 7.5 is virtually the same, the only differences being it is 7.5cm rather than 10cm thick and has tapered rather than boxed edges; this last point actually helps when closing the roof I think. It’s no exaggeration to say that I sleep as well, if not better, on this than on our expensive, ViSpring, pocket sprung mattress! If people are not familiar with a SIM (Self Inflating Mattress) then I should just say that they are not the same as a regular air bed since they have a foam and air core, which makes them more comfortable and much warmer (better insulating).

Thanks for this. I have been looking to find a (small) double SIM which could be used both upstairs and downstairs (max 114cm wide). The only one found so far is the Vango California mattress which is 5cm thick and 180cm x 100cm
Just googled this Vango and it looks like a pretty good option and is less than £60. I wonder how easy it is to deflate when in situ though?

It comes with a small hand pump made out of the same material as the mattress. If you Google “Megamat” you will find many glowing reviews and comments on the level of comfort that these provide. The SIM Duo 7.5 is virtually the same, the only differences being it is 7.5cm rather than 10cm thick and has tapered rather than boxed edges; this last point actually helps when closing the roof I think. It’s no exaggeration to say that I sleep as well, if not better, on this than on our expensive, ViSpring, pocket sprung mattress! If people are not familiar with a SIM (Self Inflating Mattress) then I should just say that they are not the same as a regular air bed since they have a foam and air core, which makes them more comfortable and much warmer (better insulating).
Thank you

Just googled this Vango and it looks like a pretty good option and is less than £60. I wonder how easy it is to deflate when in situ though?

Good question. Ironically, does not seem to be much information on here. A little more feedback on the T6 Forum, including leaving it in place, but that is with aftermarket and not California pop-tops.
T6 Forum search for Vango California

I suspect that with the additional bulk of the MY2019 bellows, plus (say) a Brandrup Iso-Top Version VI, there will be no option to leave even a deflated SIM upstairs. Some tips on easy SIM stowage in product videos here Self Inflating Mats. Initially folding, not rolling, seems to be the trick (for example).

I like that the same SIM could be used both upstairs and downstairs (intend to sleep upstairs unless weather/ situation prohibits). Space efficient and, as you say, the price is very affordable - even using two for a 10cm thick SIM :thumb.

Back