Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleep!

Gibros

Gibros

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi there, we have just bought a t6 beach with triple bench seat. We are struggling to get a good nights sleep downstairs(6 and 8 year old sleep upstairs). We have tried both a self inflating air bed and a duvet as toppers but still find the bench seat very 'lumpy'. We don't really want to fork out on a brandrup or similar as they all seem so expensive. Ideally we would like something at least 4'6" wide(U.K. Standard double) as our 3 year old sleeps with us too! Does anyone have any suggestions for something that is both comfortable and fairly compact when not in use?

We don't really want to fork out on a brandrup or similar as they all seem so expensive

We did and that was early in 2012 and if you get a good nights sleep as I do money well spent over the years and number of nights.

Last edited:
We did and that was early in 2012 and if you you get a good nights sleep as I do money well spent over the years and number of nights.
Thanks Andy, you've probably got a point! What did you buy/recommend?

Comfortz :- is what we went for have not needed to try anything else. Another tip if you have not found out already tuck the the seat belt ends away :thumb

We put a folded single duvet in the dip of the seat base and back to level it out. We then have a comfortz mattress and a zonesleep. Beautifully comfortable even though it cost a bit.

We put a folded single duvet in the dip of the seat base and back to level it out. We then have a comfortz mattress and a zonesleep. Beautifully comfortable even though it cost a bit.
Think I need to get my wallet out. Many thanks.

Try a cheap mattress topper from Dunelm or. Ikea

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Lidl's mattress topper when they have it in is comfortable. I intend to use it in my van but may be too bulky for you.

Here we go again 'I just spent tens of thousands of pounds on my Cali and I don't want to spend a couple of hundred quid to make it more comfy'. Just buy the best you can find and sleep well.

Rich20, We are considering buying the Zonesleep to go in top of the VW confort mattress in our Beach. You are clearly impressed with it but how much space does it take up in transit? i assume it is best to roll it up.. or fold it up? We are after something to soften the bed!

Gibros - are you sleeping direct on the Bench seat (folded down) or do you have some sort of comfort mattress on top already? Even with the VW Comfort mattress the bed is still firm, hence my comments above. That aside, the beach is a fab bit of kit!!!

Here we go again 'I just spent tens of thousands of pounds on my Cali and I don't want to spend a couple of hundred quid to make it more comfy'. Just buy the best you can find and sleep well.
Cheers for that.

Rich20, We are considering buying the Zonesleep to go in top of the VW confort mattress in our Beach. You are clearly impressed with it but how much space does it take up in transit? i assume it is best to roll it up.. or fold it up? We are after something to soften the bed!

Gibros - are you sleeping direct on the Bench seat (folded down) or do you have some sort of comfort mattress on top already? Even with the VW Comfort mattress the bed is still firm, hence my comments above. That aside, the beach is a fab bit of kit!!!
Just been using a self inflating mattress we used for camping. Agree though, it is amazing and still can't work out how there's so much room yet it's no longer than my car!

It folds up with the comfortz mattress. A bit bulky but it is only taking up airspace as we just keep the pillows and duvet on top of it when not used.

A bit blunt lol but very true, we wasted loads of money on trying to get comfort on the cheap then a year down the line of sleepless nights we decided to go for the Zonesleep due to all the good reviews. We now sleep just as good as we do at home. We spend a lot of our life sleeping so it's one accessory worth splashing out on.

I can fully sympathise with your position. After one night "sleeping" down below my wife announced that there was insufficient padding for her to get comfortable. I resisted the obvious comment (for once) and had to agree with her that the joints in the bed seemed perfectly placed to rub on the boney joints of our skeletons. With three kids you no doubt have to look for the economical solution first and some of the gear is ridiculously expensive. I found a solution which was both comfortable and cheap, and works for us. I started at the local carpet shop and bought an off-cut of underlay (choose your own thickness and spongyness). I cut it to the shape of the downstairs bed then cut it in half length ways for ease of storage (rolled up and secured with elastic sewn to length). My wife made a cover for each (gingham if you must know) so that washing was easy. When rolled out this eliminated all of the bumps and gaps, but was not the most comfortable to lie on so next we made a tight fitting cover for an old duvet (again for ease of washing). A mattress topper would also do. This goes on top of the underlay and makes a really comfortable bed on which to lie. The two pieces of underlay are rolled up and the duvet goes into a stuff sack and stored on the rear shelf when not in use. They are a little bulky but not so that it causes us a problem. What you use to cover yourselves is up to you. We use another duvet. Both duvets are used on the upper bunk so we are not really wasting space, although I appreciate with three kids the logistics will be a bit different for you. Comfort factor - 10/10. Cost - less than £20.

I can fully sympathise with your position. After one night "sleeping" down below my wife announced that there was insufficient padding for her to get comfortable. I resisted the obvious comment (for once) and had to agree with her that the joints in the bed seemed perfectly placed to rub on the boney joints of our skeletons. With three kids you no doubt have to look for the economical solution first and some of the gear is ridiculously expensive. I found a solution which was both comfortable and cheap, and works for us. I started at the local carpet shop and bought an off-cut of underlay (choose your own thickness and spongyness). I cut it to the shape of the downstairs bed then cut it in half length ways for ease of storage (rolled up and secured with elastic sewn to length). My wife made a cover for each (gingham if you must know) so that washing was easy. When rolled out this eliminated all of the bumps and gaps, but was not the most comfortable to lie on so next we made a tight fitting cover for an old duvet (again for ease of washing). A mattress topper would also do. This goes on top of the underlay and makes a really comfortable bed on which to lie. The two pieces of underlay are rolled up and the duvet goes into a stuff sack and stored on the rear shelf when not in use. They are a little bulky but not so that it causes us a problem. What you use to cover yourselves is up to you. We use another duvet. Both duvets are used on the upper bunk so we are not really wasting space, although I appreciate with three kids the logistics will be a bit different for you. Comfort factor - 10/10. Cost - less than £20.
Hi Bill and thankyou for the advice.

I bought my camper to sleep in. If I'm not sleeping then it's money wasted so a mattress topper for downstairs is an essential.

Not a beach but an SE, I have used:

VW Comfort Mattress but too bulky and needs back board on lower setting taking up boot space

An extra duvet ... failed miserably...

An airbed, cold in winter, takes up too much room inflated and has an unfortunate tendency to deflate at worst possible times such as 2am with driving wind and rain when the last thing you want to be doing is clambering upstairs:

Current choice is a comfortz topper. Providing all seat-belt fastenings are tucked out of the way then a great night's sleep with less bulk and less faffing around.

I bought my camper to sleep in. If I'm not sleeping then it's money wasted so a mattress topper for downstairs is an essential.

Not a beach but an SE, I have used:

VW Comfort Mattress but too bulky and needs back board on lower setting taking up boot space

An extra duvet ... failed miserably...

An airbed, cold in winter, takes up too much room inflated and has an unfortunate tendency to deflate at worst possible times such as 2am with driving wind and rain when the last thing you want to be doing is clambering upstairs:

Current choice is a comfortz topper. Providing all seat-belt fastenings are tucked out of the way then a great night's sleep with less bulk and less faffing around.
Thanks for the reply/advice.

Buy cheap, buy twice ...

I bought a pair of Duvalays (2012) and, whilst quite bulky when stowed & the colours not to my taste, I sleep like a Lord until lunchtime.

Buy cheap, buy twice ...

I bought a pair of Duvalays (2012) and, whilst quite bulky when stowed & the colours not to my taste, I sleep like a Lord until lunchtime.
I can only dream of sleeping til lunchtime! Thanks for getting back to me.

I can only dream of sleeping til lunchtime! Thanks for getting back to me.

A quick question hirsty... you say you bought a pair of Duvalays. Do you mean you bought 2 x doubles (currently £145 each) and sleep on both, or you bought two singles and lay them next to each other? There are also 2.5 or 5cm versions of the Duvalays. Do you know (!) which you have?

Obviously some people sleep more easily than others, but I am trying to assess which combo is best! We already have the VW Comfort mattress, which is ok if you like a firm bed, but could be softer and thus better with the addition of a Zonesleep, or Duvalay... or maybe the Comforzt topper alone is enough(and is better than the VW version?).

As a potentially cheap & easy, fix I have bought 3x £10 inflatable HiGear mats to go on the bench seat trapped under the VW Comfort mattres! I will let you know how that experiment goes!!!! lol

Hi - I just looked up my order in my email & it was 2014 ... 2x Singles + £125 each which I've happily laid down side-by-side in both my current two-seat bench Beach and my previous T5 conversion (Ocean style layout, bit tighter).

4cm Duvalay Luxury Sleeping Bag
- Tog: Winter 10.5 tog
- Duvalay Colour: Chocolate

Feels a lot like my standard size double mattress with foam topper at home, though the two-seat bench in the Beach is very wide & particularly flat relative to the other versions of the Cali.

Last edited:
Hi - I just looked up my order in my email & it was 2014 ... 2x Singles + £125 each which I've happily laid down side-by-side in both my current two-seat bench Beach and my previous T5 conversion (Ocean style layout, bit tighter).

Feels a lot like my standard size double mattress with foam topper at home, though the two-seat bench in the Beach is very wide & particularly flat relative to the other versions of the Cali.

Thanks hirsty.
BH we didn't even consider the potential 'bed quality' differences between the Beach two seater v three seater! We didn't even test drive a VW Cali before we ordered, so 'bed comparison' was a long way down the list of things we didn't do!!!! The trade off is between a great nights sleep (v good) and having to pack extra stuff (topper mattress or inflatable mats etc) that takes away from keeping the campervanning experience relatively simplistic! The three seat Beach bed is 150cm wide, so hugely wide. Hopefully the 3x mats may be the slight softer solution we seek - if not it will be Zonesleep purchase time!

Hope trials go well - I think it's just one of those things thad some kind of topper is always going to be needed downstairs, otherwise you've paid £30/40/50K+ to sleep on your car seats ...

Back