Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

sleeping en route

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Another query! As departure date grows nearer these worries and queries will come fast!
When stopping over night in a French motorhome Aire, do folk put the top up and sleep up there? I'm thinking I would feel rather exposed (safety wise)?

Do what you feel comfortable with. Out of interest where are you going?

We find that most Aires are close to busy roads, with heavy traffic. So, sleeping in the downstairs bed, with the roof down, offers a more peaceful nights sleep.

Nice. As mentioned above downstairs is quieter but up stairs is cooler. I wouldn't sleep at a motorway side are simply because it would be too noisy but if you get of the beaten track and into the villages you will find lots of quiet little places where you should feel quite safe. Enjoy your trip :thumb

I guess the free park4night (seems to be a french idea) has all the Aires in it?
They have a huge amount of places to stay.

We've used many Aire's in France and as there are four of us (and a dog) all bed space is utilised. Never felt vulnerable - its a very well used network so you're generally never alone, we always searched out Aires a bit off the beaten track. This is a really useful website - campingcar-info. Used alongside Google Maps to check your route you can choose the ones best located for your journey. Use street view too for a better idea of the area.

I often travel on my own and Aires are excellent places for planning overnight stops. As others have said, avoid the motorway ones. Most towns and villages have an Aire, often you will not be alone, and I have never felt anything other than completely safe.

As per above plenty aires in France....
Do not think it as the parkings on the peage...! Aires are special parkings in the villages or near a Route National where you usual can park up for free for 24-48h ....most have no facilities but some do .
Never try and sleep at the peage -motorway even if you feel safe , you will hardly sleep from the noise ....i tried it once ....never again .
Stop to take a 2h nap that can work on a motorway.

One very big negative of sleeping up top in an Aire beside the Mororway would be traffic noise keeping you awake. Top down would be much quieter.
Used to use Aires when caravanning and only stopped in the main ones with service areas. Felt more secure as better lit and always people about at the shop/service areas.
Usually spaced out as an Aire then a Service Aire etc. so you could pull into a basic Aire to sample the conditions and move on if necessary. Parking space can be problematic during holiday periods.

Sleeping in a motorway service station aire is not a good idea - not safe. The fact that these are called 'aires' is confusing. Better to look for the motorhome stopover aires, 'Aire de camping-car': there are 2000+ in France which offer safer facilities in/near towns & villages.

One very big negative of sleeping up top in an Aire beside the Mororway would be traffic noise keeping you awake. Top down would be much quieter.
Used to use Aires when caravanning and only stopped in the main ones with service areas. Felt more secure as better lit and always people about at the shop/service areas.
Usually spaced out as an Aire then a Service Aire etc. so you could pull into a basic Aire to sample the conditions and move on if necessary. Parking space can be problematic during holiday periods.

NO CARAVANS ALLOWED on Aires for Camping Cars.

On many Motorway Aires the police will advise you not to stop overnight due to theft from vehicles. My Son had just that experience some years ago.
Rural Aires set up specially for Camping Cars (Motor Caravans) are often superb places to stop and not just 'en route' but as part of your holiday. There are many websites offering POIs for Sat Navs plus a good number of books on the subject both here and in French supermarkets.

Examples...
http://en.airecampingcar.com/
http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/
https://www.campercontact.com/nl/
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index.php
http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueil.htm

Rod

I have slept at motorway Aires many many times with no issues at all.

Through France and Switzerland to the lake region of Italy.
Hi Diny,
We are also heading to the Italian lakes - for the first time. Do you know if you need to book or is it just turn up and hope. I anticipate it will be mightily busy!

Hi Diny,
We are also heading to the Italian lakes - for the first time. Do you know if you need to book or is it just turn up and hope. I anticipate it will be mightily busy!
June is much quieter than July and August. I would always book for those two months, and in June would phone just to make sure. There are many camp sites around the lakes, so you should find something. Have a good stay - I think the Italian lakes are some of the loveliest areas in Italy, water and mountains!