Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping - Heads or Tails - Bow or Stern?

E

Esandar#1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
This is my first ever NEW TOPIC post and may be a stupid question but... which way round should you sleep in the Beach?

We have a three seater Beach so have a HUGE lower bed (I try not to mention it to Ocean owners who have the sardine tin bed version by comparison! ;))

'My Doris' and I like to sleep with our heads at the rear of van, as pillows stay in place, lights in right places, easier to get out in the night if nature calls (you can now tell we are over 40!). Our two boys sleep upstairs with their heads to the front, pillows into the safety net, plug in light in right space etc. That is all good on a flat pitch but if on a slight slope I always park with the rear slightly elevated, and sometimes you have to use levelling blocks to get the L R balance right.

Obviously the aim is a perfectly flat van, but I have suggested the boys sleep heads to the back if there is no option but to put van on slope. They complain of feeling claustrophobic but I said (after sleeping up there that way round myself) that you cannot feel claustrophobic when you are asleep! Or should I be biting the bullet and agreed to sleep heads to the front on the lower bed 'risking' (;)!!!) adversity like having my pillow fall off etc. We tend to arrange lower bed as mid length with flexiboard up.

Actually, this is such a boring question I'd be surprised if anyone responds!

One more thing: has anyone added a ZoneSleep matress cover to the std VW Comfort matress and found it makes a noticable difference, and if so how bulky is it to store.

https://zonesleep.co.uk/product/zonesleep-mattress-topper/

Any neat tips for storing the safety net anywhere other than in with the deckchairs?

One final thing on tinted privacy glass. Will SS has posted a great piece on some after market privacy screens - if of interest to anyone else.

Cheers
Ian

Well, if in my sardine tin bed, I sleep head to stern, and if sleeping upstairs, feet to stern :D

As I do not yet take young children with me I do not need the safety net, although I must admit that after some "exhaustingly social" (hic) evenings I can feel in need of it:shocked

'My Doris' and I like to sleep with our heads at the rear of van <...> our two boys sleep upstairs with their heads to the front

Makes sense to me, but write your own rules man - go crazy

Curled up in the footwell, clutch pedal for a pillow.

Feet at the tailgate.
Memory foam mattress with zonesleeper topper.

Heads at opposite end to the spaniel. Well that's how we start off anyway.

For the next 4+ months it'll be head by the wall, feet towards the TV. Sorry...not got my Beach yet, just want to feel like I can join in. I find it therapeutic :)

For the next 4+ months it'll be head by the wall, feet towards the TV. Sorry...not got my Beach yet, just want to feel like I can join in. I find it therapeutic :)
You won't be disappointed when you do Steve. Great bit of bit and in the meantime you can spend hours on here making lists of things you may or may not need!!!! Go Outdoors suddenly becomes a place I want to go!

Feet at the tailgate.
Memory foam mattress with zonesleeper topper.
That combo sounds very cosy! We have the VW topper which is pretty good IF you like a firm bed, so question I ask myself is another £200 on a ZoneSleep worth the money?

That combo sounds very cosy! We have the VW topper which is pretty good IF you like a firm bed, so question I ask myself is another £200 on a ZoneSleep worth the money?

The most important element of a camper van is getting a good nights sleep.
I can for-go cooking, storing food and chilled beers. But no way will I have an uncomfortable nights sleep...!!!

What I do like about the zonesleeper, is you don't sweat sleeping on it, unlike memory foam toppers.

We have a zonesleep and find it very good. During the day it sits at the back behind the rear seat with the duvets on top. It isn't a problem to take down or put up (especially as, in my case Mrs davidofhook does it). It stacks about 6" high so not too big , in our view.

Back