Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

sleeping up top in comfort on a budget!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
I spent ages reading everyone's comments and advice about mattress toppers etc
Two main options emerged - one of which involved changing the lower VW mattress as well. A very expensive option but you can leave both in place apparently. The other was simply roll up a topper, but that takes up SO much space! Plus the width needed for the top bunk is more than the width available to store a topper due to cabinets.
So I went and bought a mattress topper from DUNELM for £26! Small double size, fits perfectly. Folds up small and neat in the plastic case it comes with and stores in the under section at rear and still lets me store boxes for boots, dog stuff, hook up lead, extending ladder, bucket and loads more under there.
Having just spent 7 days in Scotland camping and using it I can say that it is best 26 quid I have spent. OK maybe it's not memory foam and deep pile luxury but it definitely makes a dramatic difference to sleeping in comfort with my arthritic shoulders! Plus its warmer!
Before you rush out and invest £100 - £350 in toppers and or new bottom mattresses, I advise considering this budget alternative - I was surprised at what a dramatic difference it made for such a minimal outlay!:thumb

Good post.
I do manage up top with the standard mattress and thick padded sleeping bag. But a cheap extra topper could well make things even more comfortable, so might have to swing by Dunelm and take a look :thumb

Good post.
I do manage up top with the standard mattress and thick padded sleeping bag. But a cheap extra topper could well make things even more comfortable, so might have to swing by Dunelm and take a look :thumb
Hi - I have posted 1" foam mattress for sale.