Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping upstairs

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
is it ok for 2 adults to sleep upstairs in a California Ocean,will it take the weight of 13 stone and 10 stone,has anyone got any good ideas of how to easily get up there.Standing on the passenger seat is too low,I was wondering if standing on an upturned bucket on the seat will work to give extra height

We always sleep up top. Will easily hold your weight (and more from our experience :)).

We go for the stand on the front seat, knee on the seat shoulder and hoist yourself up approach. Easy done.

Offcoarse it's ok to sleep upstaires with two people .
Climbing up can be done in many ways and there are many tools to help like ladders and steps . Many have been discussing this on the forum giving tips.
I just stand on the seat hands on the mattras and metal part in front above the cabine and puch myself up until sitting on the matrass feet hanging .

We sleep up top.
1. stand on the seat
2. one foot up on the back of the seat next to the headrest
3. Lift yourself up
Not sure who told us but the back is strong enough to take your weight, well that what we were told.

Thank you for asking this question.

I thought about this myself, but wasn't quite sure how to phrase that question...:)

Have I said that, I believe I was reading in a German California forum that the upper bed can hold up to 250 kg. I would have loved to read this in the manual. I will check the manual over the weekend.

Eberhard

PS
By the way ... as bad as I am - but even for me, 250 kg is ok ;)

For what it's worth, we only used a Cali for the first time last weekend when we hired one to try one out before (hopefully) buying - and physically getting into the bed was one of our worries!

But in practice it's only like getting up to something the height of a kitchen worktop, once you're standing on the seats. I didn't use the seat backs to push myself up, my wife did; and both of us managed fine.

There were only a handful of "whoops" moments when trying it at a silly angle or misjudging where the seat was when getting down and half falling / stepping on the dog - something that will get better with practice!!

For what it's worth, we only used a Cali for the first time last weekend when we hired one to try one out before (hopefully) buying - and physically getting into the bed was one of our worries!

But in practice it's only like getting up to something the height of a kitchen worktop, once you're standing on the seats. I didn't use the seat backs to push myself up, my wife did; and both of us managed fine.

There were only a handful of "whoops" moments when trying it at a silly angle or misjudging where the seat was when getting down and half falling / stepping on the dog - something that will get better with practice!!
My two year old can clamber up unaided - but only if one or both seats are unswiveled.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

At 250kgs and 1 gramme it turns into a high top van. :Nailbiting

is it ok for 2 adults to sleep upstairs in a California Ocean,will it take the weight of 13 stone and 10 stone,has anyone got any good ideas of how to easily get up there.Standing on the passenger seat is too low,I was wondering if standing on an upturned bucket on the seat will work to give extra height
We bought the MaxxCamp ladder. over priced but glad we have it. Makes getting up and down from upstairs a doddle.

Just get one of these and hang it over the headrest of the seat whichever way round it is.

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-rope-ladder-m.html?sqr=ladder&
We use one of these but introduced a simple mod to stop it sliding sideways when in use. We put in the extra loop at the top. Helps spread the load too, takes a lot less space than "proper" steps and is cheap!
Agree with others upper bed weight limit is 250kg's according to Camper Centrum (Holland).
Oh, don't forget and try to avoid stepping on the center of the the two front seats as this may damage the elements of the heated seats.Cali-Steps.JPG

Thank you for asking this question.

I thought about this myself, but wasn't quite sure how to phrase that question...:)

Have I said that, I believe I was reading in a German California forum that the upper bed can hold up to 250 kg. I would have loved to read this in the manual. I will check the manual over the weekend.

Eberhard

PS
By the way ... as bad as I am - but even for me, 250 kg is ok ;)
Hi Eberhard
If you find info in the manual please let us all know - I think its not there!

Hi Eberhard
If you find info in the manual please let us all know - I think its not there!

It is 250kg , was just last week reminded on this during the info-evening + Campercentrum Nederland

a544667a412dfa678dcc705681884fe4.jpg

Bed load 150Kg according to the manual!!!

a544667a412dfa678dcc705681884fe4.jpg

Bed load 150Kg according to the manual!!!

Tom, thanks. I looked some months ago but must have given up or had one too many glasses of wine and just got distracted!! I wonder where the 250 figure came from then? :eek::eek:
I see above German forum and Camper Centrum (where I saw it too!!) both say 250.
Perhaps the 250 is a peak level! ;) (Sorry off topic!!)

Well, roof load 150 kg seems a bit low (with really all due respect).

But saying "bed load" in the "living area" do they mean the roof bed? Doesn't matter, it is too low for the lower bed either.

Maybe contacting VW (Ireland / Germany) might help to shed more light into this.

Sleep well....:)
Eberhard

I have a little step from b and q. Cost £6 and folds flat. Use dog towel underneath to protect seat. Works well

I was led to believe that the roof bed weight limit was 150kg, which I always thought wasn’t much for a static load in a bed made for two adults.

I’m no automotive expert, but if motorhome design is anything like building design the engineers will build in a factor of safety on top of the safe working load. So the bed won’t just fail at 150kg, although I’d doubt this FoS would be an additional 100kg, but fingers crossed that this turns out to be the case...not that I’m porky!

Having looked at the design of the bed I’d be more concerned about the point load on the unsupported edge when clambering up and down. I wonder if anyone has ever damaged the edge slats in this way...

We have an unwanted one for Sale - if someone wants to PM me with an offer
Not sure how much they are saw £11 somewhere but not sure what size. If it is brand new I ham happy to pay a couple of £ less or full price and you pay the postage? No idea really but would love one. Jennie

Not sure how much they are saw £11 somewhere but not sure what size. If it is brand new I ham happy to pay a couple of £ less or full price and you pay the postage? No idea really but would love one. Jennie

Jennie will PM you

We climb up onto seat base then put R ( driver )L ( passenger ) foot on door trim just behind hand grip and use it as a step . It’s about 4 in wide . Seems plenty strong enough . Easy .

Back