Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping upstairs

Used the upstairs for the first time last weekend. While talking to my wife who was lying down upstairs along with my daughter, I notice when they moved that there was a bend in the middle of the board that holds up the bed. Wife 70K daughter 36k. I was a bit surprised with the bend.I wouldntlike to try 250k up there.

Used the upstairs for the first time last weekend. While talking to my wife who was lying down upstairs along with my daughter, I notice when they moved that there was a bend in the middle of the board that holds up the bed. Wife 70K daughter 36k. I was a bit surprised with the bend.I wouldntlike to try 250k up there.
Officially the limit is 150k :eek:

The point made earlier in this thread about the possibility of damaging the heated seat element by standing on the middle of the front seats when clambering up into the roof bed makes me wonder if we damaged the airbag sensor in our passenger seat by standing in the middle of the seat.

Hello,

I contacted VW Commercial Vehicles Hannover on Sunday, waiting for feedback.

I believe also it is only 150 kg, which I believe is not enough. For the future VW need to look into this (if it is easy to change).

Eberhard

Yes, I saw this. Yes, I read the manual - but I don't want to believe it :Depressed.

As I said, I believe that in 2018 in Europe 150 kg weight is not enough (this can be a bit of a sensitive topic so let me at least try to phrase it as nicely as I can).

Eberhard

Have also read that 250kg is the limit, but (like everyone) can't remember where! We've had 200kg up there several times (2 adults, 1 child) and no flex at all other than the bed slats.

Guys, all these questions (bed load, extemporised ladders, potential damage to heated set pad) have been covered in numerous previous posts.

Maybe we need some kind of sticky post with pointers to all these FAQs that new owners keep on asking.

FWIW, whatever the nominal weight limit, I'm not aware of anyone having broken their van by overloading the top bed frame. It's just not a real-world issue, as far as I can see.

Get out there and enjoy your van.

Yes, I saw this. Yes, I read the manual - but I don't want to believe it :Depressed.

As I said, I believe that in 2018 in Europe 150 kg weight is not enough (this can be a bit of a sensitive topic so let me at least try to phrase it as nicely as I can).

Eberhard
We rented a conversion back in 2016 and the bed base was made of chip board (Marine quality). We never even considered a weight limit until we saw a small sticker on the edge of the board. It said "150kgs Max". :eek:
We are over that limit (not by much but still over) and have been rather sensitive about this ever since. So much so that from time to time we check our waists!
But I agree 150kgs seems a tad out of touch with reality even if it seems to be the norm in this environment.

(How about Static v Active loading if I read you right :D, Apologies if I misinterpret you.)

Guys, all these questions (bed load, extemporised ladders, potential damage to heated set pad) have been covered in numerous previous posts.

Maybe we need some kind of sticky post with pointers to all these FAQs that new owners keep on asking.

FWIW, whatever the nominal weight limit, I'm not aware of anyone having broken their van by overloading the top bed frame. It's just not a real-world issue, as far as I can see.

We really don't worry about it - we were away for 70+ nights last year and slept uptop on all but one stormy night. No damage to bed or pride :thumb.

So if the combined weight is 151kg.
Who sleeps downstairs ? The heaviest or the lightest ?

So if the combined weight is 151kg.
Who sleeps downstairs ? The heaviest or the lightest ?
Neither! We are about 165kgs and just get on with life in the risky fast lane!!:D

Don’t worry about it, just make up the lower bed for a soft landing just in case! :D

A faq section has also been discussed many tinti and met with resistance. So as Bart says "you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't."

.. message ends..

Good afternoon,

I got email from VW Commercial Vehicles, Hannover:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dachbett

Sehr geehrter Herr Eberhard,

vielen Dank fuer Ihre E-Mail. Bitte entschuldigen Sie die lange Bearbeitungszeit.

Der Volkswagen T6 California ist mit einer maximal moeglichen Belastung des Dachbetts von zirka 150 kg konzipiert.

Fuer weitere Fragen und Anregungen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfuegung.

Freundliche Gruesse
i. V. XXXX

Volkswagen AG
38436 Wolfsburg
Tel +49 (0) 800 1234109
Fax +49 (0) 800 3298655792436
Mail to nutzfahrzeuge@volkswagen.de
Homepage http://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.de
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The email basically saying:

Dear Mr. Eberhard (?)

Thank you for the email and sorry for the delayed response.

The VW T6 California roof bed was designed for a maximum of 150 kg.

For further queries please don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
xxx

This confirms the debate (at least in this post) that the maximum load of the roof bed is 150 kg.

Out of the window goes the wonderful Irish breakfast, leg of lamb, ham, cake, BBQs, port and egg nock... I never thought that there is so much suffering owning a VW California. :(.

Regards,
Eberhard

Well, good one :).

I didn't want to publish the name(s) - so I thought I replace them with XXX, never thought that it could mean something else...

Well, German business communication can be friendly - but not that friendly...

Eberhard

Out of the window goes the wonderful Irish breakfast, leg of lamb, ham, cake, BBQs, port and egg nock...
Californias are good for your health! ;)

(but not your bank balance .....)

Now we know the real reason why VW can't sell the Cali in America :cool:

Back