Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding door is missing an internal handle IMHO

Loz

Loz

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am slightly wishing that I had purchased the electric closing side door as well as powerlatch as it still needs slamming a small amount to close the door properly.

I don't like slamming doors on a campsite and we are finding the side door a bit annoying in this respect. What this door actually needs is a handle at the back so I can slide the door closed and then pull on the handle to powerlatch the last bit and this would be almost silent.

It looks like there is the possibility of adding a handle on the side trim as the blind is inside of the door.
Anyone else done this already?

I am slightly wishing that I had purchased the electric closing side door as well as powerlatch as it still needs slamming a small amount to close the door properly.

I don't like slamming doors on a campsite and we are finding the side door a bit annoying in this respect. What this door actually needs is a handle at the back so I can slide the door closed and then pull on the handle to powerlatch the last bit and this would be almost silent.

It looks like there is the possibility of adding a handle on the side trim as the blind is inside of the door.
Anyone else done this already?
Mine just slides shut. In fact the noise from the Power Latching is louder than anything else when closing.
Has it been looked at under warranty?

Mine just slides shut. In fact the noise from the Power Latching is louder than anything else when closing.
No, until I hear a "Normal" one I can't really compare.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can get it to work a bit softer..

From outside there's a handle , obvious;)
From inside i roll the door until 10 cm from fully closed and more or less "push " it closed hand on the trim beside the window above the opening handle...
As WG says the noise from electric closure is harder then the slam of....
If you swing it closed from fully open at night on the campsite you probaly don't get a lot of "good mornings " at sunrise....

Last edited:
In that case it is not working properly, from the outside I can push on the door and start the powerlatch but from inside I can't.

No, until I hear a "Normal" one I can't really compare.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can get it to work a bit softer..

Now don't tell me that i need to go and film it.....:Depressed

I've always thought the power latching is noisy and unnecessary. Do other campervans, motorhomes or caravans have soft closing/ power latching doors? So why does a Cali?

I've always thought the power latching is noisy and unnecessary. Do other campervans, motorhomes or caravans have soft closing/ power latching doors? So why does a Cali?
I never thought it was loud on either of the two vans we have had, but I guess it's subjective. It is louder inside than outside.

Only know about Mazda Bongos which we had previously. They had power closing like the Cali and never knew of a problem with them. I still think it's something to do with a limit switch somewhere which gets reset when locked. Just another VW overcomplication.

Very few, if any, motorhomes have sliding doors. More like Caravan doors. Only conversions. My sons T5 conversion has the same type of sliding door and on the flat closes with 1 finger with the rear end being pulled in by the power latch, from inside or outside.:thumb

My Timberkand conversion based on LWB Renault didn't have power latching (it had just about everything else!) and it was horrendous to close. The door was heavy and you had to give it an almighty slam to shut. Not very good for me or my neighbours. I love the power latching.

Power latching is great when it works. I think I have the same problems as Loz. If I hear the motor when opening the door I know it will latch, if not I whip out the key and reset as @Loz has explained.
Mine needs to go back to the dealer I think.

Okay, fixed it lunchtime.

Went out armed with brake cleaner, cloth, needle file and some of my finest aero shell grease.

Used the needle file carefully on each of the contacts, just a couple of strokes will do, then sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and used my finger to clean all the contacts up.
Then greased and wiped off the catches etc.
It now powerlatches with just a gentle amount of pressure.

Update; still closing with the gentlest of slide but I just added this and it means I can activate the powerlatch from inside with no slam whatsoever.
IMG_3018.jpg IMG_3019.jpg
Just a pull on this and the powerlatch takes over. :)

Went out armed with brake cleaner, cloth, needle file and some of my finest aero shell grease.

Used the needle file carefully on each of the contacts, just a couple of strokes will do, then sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and used my finger to clean all the contacts up.

Couple of questions.
Did you do all the contacts or just the ones in the door?
Was your door an intermittent failure to latch?

Did this on ours ages ago. Worked fine for about a couple of months and then back to acting up again. Be interesting to se how you get on Loz.

Did this on ours ages ago. Worked fine for about a couple of months and then back to acting up again. Be interesting to se how you get on Loz.
Hi Brian,
Yes exposed contacts are going to need regular attention, not sure why they didn't incorporate a simple sealed pin switch to trigger the latch, but I'll see how it goes. Might try some copper paste on next time.

Hi Brian,
Yes exposed contacts are going to need regular attention, not sure why they didn't incorporate a simple sealed pin switch to trigger the latch, but I'll see how it goes. Might try some copper paste on next time.
Haven't touched mine in 2 years, other than a fibre cloth around the door opening when I've washed the vehicle. No problems at all. Like your idea of the Dent Puller as a handle.:thumb