Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding Door locking

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Recently noticed the sliding door is behaving oddly.
Press the key fob and all door motors lock all doors. The sliding door however will open when pulled. The only way to secure the sliding door is to reach inside and operate the internal handle then shut the passenger door and re-lock.

Any Intel on this before I start digging?

Does the button go down when you press the fob?
Had it a few times when someone tried to open the door while unlocking that the mechanism came disconnected. Had to take the door card off and click it back together...

I have just stripped mine down for the opposite problem but may be the same cause - mine would not unlock with the fob unless you pressed it an ever increasing number of times. You could see it "trying" to move but not making the jump.

I currently have the sliding door side panel off (pretty easy to remove) - 4 screws and some careful levering with large flat blade to pop the clips so if you want any pics let me know.

I lubricated the hell out of everything with silicone spray (in places you can only get to with the door trim stripped off, but it is only one large piece) and it seems to have greatly improved - to the point where I am considering putting it back together once I work out how to fix the stupid design that causes the sliding window to leak...

I currently have the sliding door side panel off (pretty easy to remove) - 4 screws and some careful levering with large flat blade to pop the clips so if you want any pics let me know.
I hope that you don't mind, but I need to examine my sliding door internals, so some pictures would be much appreciated.

I hope that you don't mind, but I need to examine my sliding door internals, so some pictures would be much appreciated.

some pics just taken, will edit with commentary when I get time!

--EDIT-- been pointed out this is the T4 forum which I hadn't spotted, sorry. Pics below are from a T5 (and probably still valid through T6) . I don't know how relevant they are to a T4 or not

from what I can see on this youtube video (on a generic right hand slider on a T4) the T4 doors look very similar so the pics may help :

Interested to know the answer.

IMG_20210117_105243523.jpgIMG_20210117_105300645_HDR.jpgIMG_20210117_105334747.jpgIMG_20210117_105350458.jpgIMG_20210117_105403063.jpgIMG_20210117_105448508.jpgIMG_20210117_105551513.jpg

Last edited:
Does the button go down when you press the fob?
Had it a few times when someone tried to open the door while unlocking that the mechanism came disconnected. Had to take the door card off and click it back together...
Ah, can’t say I’ve noticed..
I’ll strip out the door card and try, see what’s going on.

Had a similar problem the last few weeks, on investigation found the lock had a lot of white grease on the lock mechanism, removed and thinned with WD40 solved the issue, put this down to cold weather